General Television Thread

Started by Anna Karina, June 10, 2014, 02:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anna Karina

How does Eric Andre pack so much into a ten minute episode. Man.

Anna Karina

Quote from: AaronTheCabe on November 12, 2014, 01:52:35 AM
Fuck it brett! did trey do it or is he for real with all that bs. i mean you think he *had* to have done it then when daniel throws him into the wall, and he's all laughing like "who does that!? you're a psycho killer" i mean its keeping the dramatic irony on for real. cause trey knows something that we, the audience, can never know until its revealed by him some other way. DDDAAAAMMMMNNN
How good is the scene where Daniel listens to the music in his cell? Might be my favorite moment of the show.

BagginSagginBrian

You all have watched The Fall with Gillian Anderson right?
I think new episodes are coming soon.

Anna Karina

Anna Karina

Oh man, the end of this week's episode of The Jinx.  :o

This smileys are so bad.

CrackyMcCrackerson

So, no one is talking about House of Cards. This season wasn't as good as last but I'll be damned if I wasn't engaged the whole time.

ramblinrabble

I got distracted during the second season, and stopped watching.  Now that the third is out, I'd like to catch up, but I feel like it's one of those shows that I'd need to rewatch the entire series.  If I just picked up from where I left off, at this point, I'd be completely lost.

Phitney

Rupaul's Drag Race Season 7 just started! I'm super excited.

Also, this show just popped up on Netflix and I love it. It's co-created by Tina Fey and definitely has the same kind of humor that 30 Rock did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl4bOuGNMwo

dakotafloyd

Quote from: ramblinrabble on March 06, 2015, 03:57:06 AM
I got distracted during the second season, and stopped watching.  Now that the third is out, I'd like to catch up, but I feel like it's one of those shows that I'd need to rewatch the entire series.  If I just picked up from where I left off, at this point, I'd be completely lost.

That's what happened to me with season two of Orange is the New Black.  Think I'm gonna try to pick it up once I finish Friday Night Lights (5 episodes left!).
21 Moreland Ave. NE
Atlanta, GA 30307

lindsey

NEW SEASON OF HOUSE OF CARDS RULES

THAT KIMMY SHOW IS ALRIGHT

DRAG RACE BETTER BE BETTER THIS SEASON BUT SO FAR IM NOT SOLD

THE FALL IS FUCKING AMAZING

I CANT WAIT FOR ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK

annnd those are my feels on all the shows mentioned on this page that i've seen.... for bonus points, broad city is my everything, GOT is just over a month away, and better call saul is the fucking JAM

momitsnowme

Yeah, the first few episodes of the unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt are pretty amusing

Anna Karina

Brett's current television thoughts:

1. I really wish more people would watch Rectify before the new season starts, so I could finally have people to talk to after watching Rectify next season. I'm really glad I've gotten some people into the show though. It's so good. I really don't want it to get canceled prematurely.

2. I feel the same way about Terriers, except it got canceled after one season but it's on Netflix, and it wraps itself up well enough. And also it's so good.

3. I have qualms about some aspects of Better Call Saul (I wish it were less like Breaking Bad) but it's pretty great so far.

4. The final season of Justified has been so ridiculously fun.

5. The new season of Danger 5 is on Netflix. I am so excited to get incredibly drunk and watch it.

6. Best current Comedy Central shows: Review, Broad City, Nathan For You, in that order.

7. The newest season of It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia has been insanely good to the point where I can't actually believe it's still so good after a fucking decade.

8. The Slap.

9. So glad Last Week Tonight With John Oliver is doing so well. I love the format and he seems really happy to have absolutely no restrictions compared to Comedy Central. Though I really can't figure out who I would actually like for a prolonged period filling in on The Daily Show.

10. At this point Girls is worse than The Walking Dead in regards to shows I hatewatch.

jer

Quote from: lindsey on March 10, 2015, 06:10:32 PM
read this today...unfortunate

http://www.vulture.com/2015/03/unbreakable-kimmy-schmidt-native-american.html

I haven't watched the whole series yet, so I'm not sure where that storyline ends up, so take this with a grain of salt. But...

QuoteThink of it this way: Is there any other race Krakowski could have played without raising a substantial uproar? The fact is, no matter what Krakowski looks like, we are asked to believe the character is Native American, a device that only serves to add color to the backstory of a character played by a very white actress. If we take the show at its word, we are laughing at a Native American woman who felt so uncomfortable in her skin and in not being a member of the dominant culture, she sold her soul to look the way she thought she should. That's not funny; it's disturbing.

That's kind of the point. It is disturbing. It's a comedy, so they're dealing with it in a funny way, but the ultimate point isn't that we're celebrating her embracing the dominant culture, and in fact the portrayal of the dominant culture makes the dominant culture the butt of the joke. Again, I'm still only a few episodes in, but it seems like this is headed towards some storyline about how both Kimmy and her have something in common because both having backgrounds they're not talking about.

Maybe some problematic stuff happens later in the first season and I'm not getting it because I'm not through the season yet, but the whole point of this article seems to be reinforcing the actual statement the show is trying to make about native americans, and it went over the author of the article's head?
Anti-Creative Records sells some things.
http://www.anti-creative.com

AaronTheCabe

Quote from: Anna Karina on March 10, 2015, 10:18:14 PM
Brett's current television thoughts:

1. I really wish more people would watch Rectify before the new season starts, so I could finally have people to talk to after watching Rectify next season. I'm really glad I've gotten some people into the show though. It's so good. I really don't want it to get canceled prematurely.

5. The new season of Danger 5 is on Netflix. I am so excited to get incredibly drunk and watch it.

9. So glad Last Week Tonight With John Oliver is doing so well. I love the format and he seems really happy to have absolutely no restrictions compared to Comedy Central. Though I really can't figure out who I would actually like for a prolonged period filling in on The Daily Show.

10. At this point Girls is worse than The Walking Dead in regards to shows I hatewatch.

any idea when rectify comes back if coming back and it HAS to come back. one of the best shows of tv methinks

John Oliver is the greatest, though I am partial to British comedy. I don't normally watch late night shows but the guy taking over Late Nite is another great comedian and I really hope it works out for him

My brother introduced me to Danger 5 three days ago and GAWD so freakin' hilarious

I stopped after season 2 of Girls, but walking dead is serious hatewatch. i know its not good but i just feel invested now and there's no turning back

Shows I've been watching recently: Old 10 O'clock Live series, Dirk Gentley's Holistic detective agency (2010) Stephen Mangan is hands down the best Dirk Gently, and pretty much all comic inspired tv

I still watch Elementary cause Johnny Lee Miller's sherlock is so great (and distinguishable from Cumberbatch's) but the show inevitably fails for being a police procedural i.e. made in America
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back breakfast

momitsnowme

Yeah, I don't think the points in that article are great either. Like Jer said...it is absurdist..of course it is disturbing. The idea of mole women is disturbing, as are lots of other parts of the show if taken "at face value." And I understand the point about non native folks playing native Americans, but honestly I think that is part of the joke...that she is this insanely white person. And especially if they are making jokes about that representation, I think they are trying to make it clear that that's what the joke is. I dunno...maybe it gets more offensive but I think that article is kind of a stretch.

Anna Karina

Rectify is coming back for another season but I don't think they've said when it will air yet other than sometime in 2015. I want it to go on for more than three seasons though and I have a feeling it won't.

momitsnowme

The Vietnamese character is way more offensive/problematic than the native American storyline

kaywhyelleee

Quote from: BlakeK on September 06, 2014, 08:43:58 AM
Quote from: Anna Karina on September 01, 2014, 05:57:50 PM
The Wire is a show I think you need to finish the entire seasons before really judging them. Season two doesn't start off as strongly but I think the final episodes are better than the first season.

Season 4 is where it's really at though.
I just finished season 3 and it turned out to be pretty good. I liked it more than season 2. I'm watching the first episode of season 4 now. I have high hopes for it given your high opinion. You are usually right when it comes to tv and movies. Omar is still my favorite character. I'd like to see Brother what's his name team up with him again. They work well together for being so different. I can't believe what happened to Stringer. I figured that Avon and Stringer's positions would be the opposite of what they are now.

I've been trying to watch The Wire recently, with a lot of downtime because the person I'm watching it with can only hang out like once a month. I'm in the middle of the first season and I like it a lot. Idris Elba's performance is amazing, and going from Luther to this was really cool.

Is anyone else way too excited that Twin Peaks is coming back?

lindsey

Quote from: momitsnowme on March 14, 2015, 08:14:03 AM
The Vietnamese character is way more offensive/problematic than the native American storyline

I was just thinking this today! So true.

After seeing more episodes that actually had the native story line, i wasn't offended and i dont think the portrayal was offensive. I GET the argument of why not have a native actress play the role but i don't really think it would actually suit the role? the whole point is how embarassing white people are.... and what's her name is perfect for that. (I just re-read becca's response that it is basically exactly what you said, like a week ago). Anyway, I'm still enjoying the show...but yeah, Dong is way more offensive!

ALSO OMG ALIA SHAWKAT MAKING OUT WITH ILANA

lindsey

wait i meant to say, has anyone watched The Neighbors by Tommy Wiseau?? holy shit it is... i cant even

Anna Karina

Good lord, The Jinx was incredible.

skateandannoy

Quote from: Anna Karina on March 10, 2015, 10:18:14 PM
Though I really can't figure out who I would actually like for a prolonged period filling in on The Daily Show.
Jessica Williams for sure.
https://deadformat.net/tradelist/anthemforadoomed

Quote from: tinybitsofheart on August 01, 2014, 06:53:17 AM
kinda weird how the earth continues to spin on its axis and everything eventually dies even when you don't want it to dang

Anna Karina

Nah.

Not a good fit to takeover at all and even she admits it. I like her but she is in no way prepared to handle a show like the Daily Show whatsoever.

Pat2099

I've been watching Lucha Underground. It's been a while since I have watched a pro-wrestling show on the regular.

Better Call Saul is better than I thought it would be.

I've been catching up on the Legend of Korra as well.