General Television Thread

Started by Anna Karina, June 10, 2014, 02:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lindsey

hannibal buress for the daily show? i really can't think of anyone who i'd love.... bummer

speaking of hannibal, been watching that lately

Anna Karina

Hannibal has his own show for Comedy Central in the works right now actually. Should be out sometime this year.

I like Michael Che but I'm not sure he could carry the show.

I also like Kamau Bell, but his show on FX was better suited for a once a week thing. He could probably adapt well to the Daily Show format though.

Fuck it, just give it to Beans.

jer

i can't imagine whoever takes over is going to be able to maintain the "importance" of the show. Even though it's a comedy show, it's had a huge impact. I feel it will become "just" a comedy show now, whoever takes over.
Anti-Creative Records sells some things.
http://www.anti-creative.com

lindsey

Anna Karina

I done tried to tell you. Shoooot.

lindsey

lindsey

also been watching the shit out of the cosmos with NDT while microdosing mushies.... v good highly recommended

BagginSagginBrian

Quote from: Anna Karina on March 10, 2015, 10:18:14 PM

4. The final season of Justified has been so ridiculously fun.].

I recall you really not liking Justified, what made you change your mind?

Anna Karina

The first season was garbage until they realized Walton Goggins is what makes the show what it is and got away from the bad guy of the week bullocks.

You may be confusing me with someone else though, because I didn't have much of an opinion on it until I binge watched seasons two through like five within a few week period a year or two ago, other than it started out dumb and boring which I still stand behind.

manmagic

Bobs Burgers keeps getting better and better. Maybe my favorite animated series of all time at this point.

manmagic

Finally able to watch game of thrones as it airs. I usually binge watch an entire season once they come out on DVD, but i'm able to use my parents HBO password now and I'm way to freaking excited for this season.

CrackyMcCrackerson

It's nice to see Louie is still on point.

Mad Men is what it is...

skateandannoy

Quote from: manmagic on April 03, 2015, 10:02:39 AM
Bobs Burgers keeps getting better and better. Maybe my favorite animated series of all time at this point.
So good!
https://deadformat.net/tradelist/anthemforadoomed

Quote from: tinybitsofheart on August 01, 2014, 06:53:17 AM
kinda weird how the earth continues to spin on its axis and everything eventually dies even when you don't want it to dang

BlakeK

This has not been a good week for me and television. Hannibal's 3rd season was just starting to get interesting to me and it was canceled. True Detective started again and it almost seems like a parody of the first season. I haven't watched the 2nd episode yet but after one, I'm not impressed and really not that psyched to watch it.

Maybe True Detective will get better and maybe Netflix will pick up Hannibal for a 4th season. While the audience isn't large, they seem loyal.
Quote from: BlakeK on March 09, 2017, 06:59:37 PM
Having said that, I'd rather listen to Papa Roach than GG Allin

AaronTheCabe

Quote from: BlakeK on June 29, 2015, 04:55:46 PM
This has not been a good week for me and television. Hannibal's 3rd season was just starting to get interesting to me and it was canceled. True Detective started again and it almost seems like a parody of the first season. I haven't watched the 2nd episode yet but after one, I'm not impressed and really not that psyched to watch it.

Maybe True Detective will get better and maybe Netflix will pick up Hannibal for a 4th season. While the audience isn't large, they seem loyal.

felt the same about its first episode. i have such an awesome idea that would have been perfect for the true detective format, replacing the interview sessions with senate committee type testimony. i'm working on a pilot script right now and basically involves Internal Affairs and parallels how IA is often "the bad guy" in practically all tv shows and brings them to the forefront on investigating police shootings. with the michael brown investigations being so pathetically shitty and all the other real life stuff to draw upon i'm able to make interesting points about our current society while still able to tell an interesting story. main character would have flashbacks to his beginnings as a beat cop, rise to detective, the good things and bad  he's done, and the need for IA to be disconnected if not civillian in nature in order to avoid the bias that is inherently there
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back breakfast

bort

True detective apologist checking in. I love this for what it is. Who cares if we can't understand what anyone is saying or why anyone is dying, as long as I got some good tunes and highway shots I'm satisfied.

But seriously come at me critics! Come at me!

Anna Karina

Yeah, I stood up for it on another board last week. Since I'm lazy, I'll copy and paste what I already said.

QuoteI've been mostly just keeping to myself because the pile on for this show is more obnoxious than anything that could happen in it. Everyone seems to have extremely unrealistic expectations (and were the same way for most of season one as it aired) and clearly hated the season before it even started. It's not trying to be a recreation of the first season. It's a narrative written in a few months (as opposed to however long Nic Pizza spent on season one) with actors who aren't on the same level as Matt and Woody and is more of a straight up pulp without all the Yellow King folklore shit. Most of the writing was just as hammy in the first season, they were just able to rely on the crutch of Marty calling Rust an idiot whenever he said the dumb dialogue.

Obviously it's not going to be as good as the first season, but people pretending this is "the worst show ever" is completely obnoxious. It's still ten times better than most shit that's on TV, it just isn't a recreation of season one, which people also complained about as it aired and are now pretending is the greatest eight episodes of television in existence. We're only two episodes in. I'm okay with reserving judgment and in the meantime I'll continue being entertained by people getting they dick blown off with rock salt.

Except the two best shows currently airing are Hannibal and Rectify, so Thursday nights are the awesome night for shows now.

Also, Review comes back in a few weeks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQcU951zATU

AaronTheCabe

well i would in no way say the new true detective was awful but by its nature being the second of series it will always bare comparison due to that common title. It just didn't stick with me the way the first did. Both i turned on randomly while doing something else. I haven't finished the first episode yet while the first one I was immensely drawn to it. i will continue to check it out

AaronTheCabe

Anna Karina

Just started again on Thursday. Back to a six episode season. Apparently the second episode also leaked but I'm gonna wait until Thursday to watch it.

BlakeK

I wanted to love the 2nd season of True Detective and was really excited. The 2nd episode got me interested. I don't hate the 2nd season but rather am disappointed. It could rebound. Every time it starts getting boring, something happens to reel me back in. It's really up and down.

I don't know what the fuck is happening with Hannibal now. The ending of the last episode really confused me.

Anna Karina

What confused you? That Hannibal and Graham were both caught by Verger? I assume someone (possibly involving Bedelia) led him onto where they were and it will be revealed more in the next episode. I think it was supposed to be left ambiguous for now.

BlakeK

Quote from: Anna Karina on July 12, 2015, 12:46:12 AM
What confused you? That Hannibal and Graham were both caught by Verger? I assume someone (possibly involving Bedelia) led him onto where they were and it will be revealed more in the next episode. I think it was supposed to be left ambiguous for now.
Will was getting Ray Liota'd with blood splattering everywhere and then, next thing you know, he's hanging upside down with Hannibal going to Verger's. I presume the girl who shot Will found them all just at the nick of time but why would she give them to Verger? I suppose it is most likely the dirty cops who found him since they're in cahoots with Verger. I guess the only real criticism I have of Hannibal is the characters suffering what should be fatal wounds and/or presumed dead and then they miraculously recover. Dr. Chilton is probably the one who should be dead given all that he's been through.

I love Hannibal and don't have a problem with the timeline jumping around, I just don't like the fake deaths and reappearances. I also wish Michael Pitt would have stayed on as Mason but the new dude is okay.

skateandannoy

I watched the Garfunkel and Oates IFC show on netflix a couple months ago and I'm really bummed they cancelled it, I thought it was great. One or two episodes sort of slump but overall it was still really funny.

I can't wait for this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfJkusicBa4
https://deadformat.net/tradelist/anthemforadoomed

Quote from: tinybitsofheart on August 01, 2014, 06:53:17 AM
kinda weird how the earth continues to spin on its axis and everything eventually dies even when you don't want it to dang

jerkemy

I'm watching Halt and Catch Fire, which isn't perfect but is cool just as a period piece about the development of personal computers and online gaming in the 80s.

I started watching Humans, which has its moments but suffers from some dopey writing and the same dumb things literally every show about sentient robots does. I wish at least one of these shows would talk to an AI or neuroscience consultant instead of just re-writing Short Circuit.

Also just finished season 1 of Rick and Morty, which apart from being really funny, is legitimately the best science fiction show currently going. It's like a much darker cross between an actually-good Dr. Who and Futurama.