General Television Thread

Started by Anna Karina, June 10, 2014, 02:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevedem

I saw that new reality show Home Free. That is the coolest shit, they all get a house. They get eliminated and get the house they were working that week.

AaronTheCabe

I am really enjoying Mr. Robot, a new show on USA. BRILLIANT WRITING

The over-arching plot is obviously taken from the 90s brat pack writers, ala Fight Club and American Psycho in particular. I am hoping that that is all misdirection while still borrowing from those sources, if the overall plot is the same, i can deal because: the characterization in this show is just so good. really good. like it reminds me of writing workshop and everything my professors taught is successfully executed here. THe antagonist have both sympathetic and real personas. the characterization far outweigh this overarching plotline. If that plot ends being the derivative one that it appears to be, it is still a great show. and if that plot misdirects and does something unique, then i'd rate it five stars. Just really, realy good writing
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back breakfast

pronetoaccidents

i don't have cable. i didn't have it for years then when i got some free promotional thing and out of nowhere had tv for a few months (that's how long they let you rock without paying a penny) and i wish i never had it because i forgot that tv is cool when you don't go out much, or at all really, like me.

oh and some guy on the line at my methadone program told me this morning "some tv channel is doing a live exorcism." i asked him which one and he said one of the big ones. hope that narrows it down it anyones intrguied.
Though lovers be lost love shall not.

AaronTheCabe

I haven't watched tv on actual tv in years. All i have is my computer. if u have internet, you can watch anything, stream anything.

exorcism is a joke, if its not the fox special that came on, like, ten years ago, i don't know what you're talking about. who the fuck cares about that shite. oh you're at or were at the methadone clinic, ok. i take kratom everyday. u deal or you die. or you live a life of quiet misery. whatever happens, you made the decision. i made mine, i fucked up, and sometimes i do right. so shut up and do it.

hashtag toughlove

Anna Karina

There are so many great things to watch right now.

Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp
Review
Rectify
HBO picked up a season of High Maintenance
Hannibal
Nathan For You comes back in a few months
Mr. Robot seems aight so far
Deutschland 83
Just found out Transparent was renewed for a third season even though there's no release date for season two yet

amanda

WHAS: First Day of Camp was wonderful.

I'm also liking Another Period and keep rewatching Bojack Horseman and Orphan Black.

rory

My house never stops watching Bojack Horseman.
Quote from: Winged Killick
I'm an anarchist, but I'm not going to drive ninety-five miles an hour down the road tossing illegal, invasive species of snakes from my car while texting and fraudulently doing my taxes.

jerkemy

Started WHAS today, it's good so far

Been watching a bunch of Seinfeld with a friend's Hulu login

Gotta also reiterate Rick and Morty; season 2 finally just started and it's so great

Prob gonna check out Steven Universe pretty soon since half my facebook feed is people screaming about it

BlakeK

Quote from: AaronTheCabe on July 31, 2015, 06:41:56 PM
I haven't watched tv on actual tv in years. All i have is my computer. if u have internet, you can watch anything, stream anything.

exorcism is a joke, if its not the fox special that came on, like, ten years ago, i don't know what you're talking about. who the fuck cares about that shite. oh you're at or were at the methadone clinic, ok. i take kratom everyday. u deal or you die. or you live a life of quiet misery. whatever happens, you made the decision. i made mine, i fucked up, and sometimes i do right. so shut up and do it.

hashtag toughlove
Uh, what?

On an unrelated note, why is Dr. Bloom dressing like Beetlejuice on Hannibal and how the fuck did he get such a sweet cell?  I guess on second thought, it might not be that sweet because I don't remember seeing a bed.
Quote from: BlakeK on March 09, 2017, 06:59:37 PM
Having said that, I'd rather listen to Papa Roach than GG Allin

manmagic

Things I've been let down by.
Wet Hot American Summer netflix series
Second season of True detectives
Sense 8

Things that I have liked
Peaky Blinders
The brink
Game of thrones (Finally all the way caught up!)

AaronTheCabe

Quote from: BlakeK on August 02, 2015, 06:23:08 PM
Quote from: AaronTheCabe on July 31, 2015, 06:41:56 PM

hashtag toughlove
Uh, what?

On an unrelated note, why is Dr. Bloom dressing like Beetlejuice on Hannibal and how the fuck did he get such a sweet cell?  I guess on second thought, it might not be that sweet because I don't remember seeing a bed.

i was making a point about posting in tv thread about how one doesn't watch and then telling an anecdote about a methadone clinic wasn't relevant and spoke more to addiction and the methadone than the point of the thread. there are places to post that.

BlakeK

Do you really take the TV thread that seriously? It's Ryan. Of course he's going to talk about the methadone clinic or a crack house when he posts about anything. This was about you having a very strong reaction to it and I'd like you to try and figure out why it bothered you.

EDIT: I had to reread Ryan's post. I'll admit I didnt read it all the first time and thought I had the gist of it. I first saw, "blah blah cool to have free tv, blah blah some guy at the methadone clinic said there's gonna be an exorcism on TV. Anyone know what channel". I now see it was "blah blah TV makes you a slave, blah blah methadone guy likes live exorcisms, maybe you zombies would like it too". I now see why it rubbed you the wrong way.

skateandannoy

Quote from: AaronTheCabe on July 31, 2015, 07:45:57 AM
I am really enjoying Mr. Robot, a new show on USA. BRILLIANT WRITING
My friend is working on that show. She says it's a lot of fun and she's glad people are liking it.

I just started watching Parks and Rec from the beginning in order. I didn't really get what the big deal was when I would just see an episode here and there but it is really funny now that I'm consuming it this way.
https://deadformat.net/tradelist/anthemforadoomed

Quote from: tinybitsofheart on August 01, 2014, 06:53:17 AM
kinda weird how the earth continues to spin on its axis and everything eventually dies even when you don't want it to dang

BlakeK

Fuck season 2 of True Detective. I hate how it ended. It made the whole damn season seem pointless. It's sad because it had been getting better. Vince Vaugn's performance was pretty good and his last few scenes were good but the Ray stuff just pissed me off.

manmagic

Quote from: BlakeK on August 11, 2015, 09:10:00 PM
Fuck season 2 of True Detective. I hate how it ended. It made the whole damn season seem pointless. It's sad because it had been getting better. Vince Vaugn's performance was pretty good and his last few scenes were good but the Ray stuff just pissed me off.

This is exactly how I feel, minus Vince Vaugn's performance being good. Such a waste of my time.

skateandannoy

Quote from: amanda on July 31, 2015, 09:26:29 PM
WHAS: First Day of Camp was wonderful.

I'm also liking Another Period
I really liked WHAS. I had never seen the movie before so when the show came out I watched that and then started the series. Sooo good. I'm glad you're into Another Period too because I'm loving that show. I've showed it to like everyone I know because no one has heard of it, maybe they aren't advertising it enough? I like Garfunkel and Oates' music and liked their IFC show and was bummed when it got cancelled. So I was stoked to see Rikki and Natasha were working together again on AP. Some great cameos in that show.

I finished Parks and Rec and decided next to marathon The Guild and liked that series a lot too. I was pretty disappointed in the first episode because every character but the lead is obnoxious. I stuck it out because I like Felicia Day and the show is short and was glad I did. Once the guild starts working together and getting to know each other a little more it really turns around.

kinda weird how the earth continues to spin on its axis and everything eventually dies even when you don't want it to dang

lindsey

We just finished WHAS First day of camp and I am SO STOKED about how on point it was. I really really hope it's hella successful.

I watched a few episodes of Rick and Morty with my partner who is a fan, but I was disappointed by the level of sexism. Seems like the best cartoons these days are pretty progressive on this front.

I just need more Odenkirk on my television screen asap.

Joe

Humans 2015 was ok.  I didn't really think the last two episodes were all that interesting, but the first 4 were addicting.

Orphan Black is ok.  I got bored around episode 8 though and I haven't picked it back up.

Fear the Walking Dead's first two episodes were good, and I await the third. 

I hear Ascension is good, but I can't find it anywhere.

pronetoaccidents

uh, okay aaron. sorry i guess?

would you rather me lie and say i read about it in fucking tv guide? i was under the impression i could say whatever the fuck i was feeling around people i thought cared about me (we have been exchanging p.m's and talking on facebook about our drug and life problems for years now) but anyway, maybe i'll just lay low and keep my writing to my blogs and self. sorry to soil your message board experience with my life

and i was talking about television. how it was enjoyable to have. You're right about the internet being all one needs. I don't have that. Whenever I post here it's on a workforce 1 computer for the most part, library sometimes. but i digress, it's about tv not me, right?
I'm upset I won't be able to watch Season Two of the Knick. American Horror Story was pretty cool. It's also nice when i can't go to sleep to just have a random channel playing. i've always found white noise soothing

jer

WHAS First Day was okay, but it seemed more like outtakes from the much better movie.

i guess that's an unpopular opinion.
Anti-Creative Records sells some things.
http://www.anti-creative.com

pronetoaccidents

what's this about a wet hot american summer tv show? that sounds like it has the potential to be awesome

skateandannoy

Quote from: pronetoaccidents on September 11, 2015, 11:31:19 AM
what's this about a wet hot american summer tv show? that sounds like it has the potential to be awesome
Netflix ponied up the money and got the entire original cast back for a prequel series taking place on the first day of camp. It's great but the movie is still the best.

amanda

I am finding Fear the Walking Dead pretty okay. 

I recently watched all of the regular series of Miranda and really liked it a lot. 

I'm also really excited that Drunk History is back, because anything that brings Craig Cackowski to the masses is wonderful.

skateandannoy

Quote from: amanda on September 14, 2015, 04:51:52 PM
I'm also really excited that Drunk History is back, because anything that brings Jen Kirkman to the masses is wonderful.

lindsey

anyone watch how to get away with murder? I've watched the first few episodes and kind of like it so far