General Television Thread

Started by Anna Karina, June 10, 2014, 02:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anna Karina

Rectify renewed for a third season, all riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

BlakeK

I just started watching The Wire and am halfway through season 2. This show is addictive, though I liked the first season more. Omar in court was pretty great. I would like to see him more. He's one of the best characters. I don't know why I didn't watch this show sooner given all of the hype.
Quote from: BlakeK on March 09, 2017, 06:59:37 PM
Having said that, I'd rather listen to Papa Roach than GG Allin

Anna Karina

The Wire is a show I think you need to finish the entire seasons before really judging them. Season two doesn't start off as strongly but I think the final episodes are better than the first season.

Season 4 is where it's really at though.

IMAWRAETHTHU

I need to buy a frickin oz. sometime so i'll have enough weed to watch all of the mighty boosh!
WHOEVER YOU ARE, WHATEVER YOU DO, WHERE EVER YOU ARE, YOU DON'T DESERVE ABUSE!!!

SUR-VI-VOR!!!

BlakeK

Quote from: Anna Karina on September 01, 2014, 05:57:50 PM
The Wire is a show I think you need to finish the entire seasons before really judging them. Season two doesn't start off as strongly but I think the final episodes are better than the first season.

Season 4 is where it's really at though.
I just finished season 3 and it turned out to be pretty good. I liked it more than season 2. I'm watching the first episode of season 4 now. I have high hopes for it given your high opinion. You are usually right when it comes to tv and movies. Omar is still my favorite character. I'd like to see Brother what's his name team up with him again. They work well together for being so different. I can't believe what happened to Stringer. I figured that Avon and Stringer's positions would be the opposite of what they are now.

BagginSagginBrian

I've been watching "you're the worst" about a dysfunctional relationship,  the writers don't even know the beginning of disfunctional

IMAWRAETHTHU

GOD I NEED AN OZ SO I'LL HAVE ENOUGH WEED TO WATCH ALL OF THE MIGHTY BOOSH!!!

Also have consistently heard really good things about Wilfred. I actually have a friend who was misdiagnosed schizophrenic and he said that the finale of wilfred really spoke to him and that he got off antipsychotics, evil things.

Oh wow, I forgot I had already commented that exact statement pretty much about the mighty boosh, lol!
WHOEVER YOU ARE, WHATEVER YOU DO, WHERE EVER YOU ARE, YOU DON'T DESERVE ABUSE!!!

SUR-VI-VOR!!!

BlakeK

I just got done with the Wire and now it's on to the last season of Boardwalk Empire. I hope it's better than last season.

I really liked the Wire. Brett was right, season 4 was the best. I liked season 5 but was kind of disappointed with how Omar ended up. I also would have liked to have seen Marlo go. It was cool how some of the kids took the place of the adult characters.

I just realized now that I'm re watching Boardwalk Empire that the actor who played Omar plays Chalky White. I don't recall seeing him in anything else which is a shame given how talented he is.

Anna Karina

haha how did you not notice Chalky was Omar before? "I ain't building no bookcase" in season one was straight up something Omar would say.

I really like season four of Boardwalk though. Extremely bleak (which is a negative for a lot of people but in my opinion makes the most compelling movies/shows) and Nucky takes kind of a backseat to more interesting stuff with Chalky/Narcisse and the Cicero gang.

My main gripe with The Wire season 5 was McNulty's arc, which I thought didn't really fit with the rest of the series and just kept me yelling "Come on, man, what are you doooooooooing?" But yeah, I really like the growth of the kids throughout the last two/three seasons of the show, along with Prezbo's turnaround since being a complete idiot in the first season.

Speaking of, the guy who plays Prezbo is Elliott Ness in the new season of Boardwalk, which makes me ridiculously excited.

Anna Karina

Oh yeah, Omar/Chalky is also great in his small role in The Road, and is apparently in the new PT Anderson movie (though I assume only for a few scenes like I've heard most of the characters are).

He was also in 12 Years a Slave but barely.

lindsey

can't think about anything except the gilmore girls coming to netflix

Anna Karina

I hope a few years down the line people will discover how great Treme was.

AaronTheCabe

Quote from: BlakeK on September 12, 2014, 07:27:14 PM
I just got done with the Wire and now it's on to the last season of Boardwalk Empire. I hope it's better than last season.

I really liked the Wire. Brett was right, season 4 was the best. I liked season 5 but was kind of disappointed with how Omar ended up. I also would have liked to have seen Marlo go. It was cool how some of the kids took the place of the adult characters.

I just realized now that I'm re watching Boardwalk Empire that the actor who played Omar plays Chalky White. I don't recall seeing him in anything else which is a shame given how talented he is.

I absolutely loved season 1 of boardwalk empire, season 2 i really really liked, season three for some reason i just kinda liked, and never went back. Its a quality show and i love steve buscemi (saw you watched Trees Lounge Brett in movie thread, was that your first time seeing it? I still have the vhs that my brother grabbed when movie gallery closed down and he was an assistant manager)

as far as HBO shows go, a few months back i watched True Detective and realized what everyone was going on about, it was amazing. but The Leftovers....what a god awful no plot piece of shit. And fx's the strain started out looking promising but devolved into tons of racial stereotypes and then i went ahead a read the wikipedia for the book (just to discover the vampire origin) and the answer was so god awful bad, its worse than stephen king's due ex machina at the end of the stand. It makes me not want to continue watching it. i haven't decided....

but for new and semi new shows that all of you MUST SEE. i highly recommend The Intruders and Orphan Black, both BBC America original series. Intruders starts rough but keeps building a mythology with an eerieness that most shows only wish they could find. it also stars The MAster from doctor who, and comes on after Doctor Who at 10 oclock saturdays so you guys are awares. maybe thats why i haven't been dating, staying in for doctor who and bbc original series
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back breakfast

pronetoaccidents

Banshee is really awesome. So is an Honorable Woman. and the Knick as previously stated.
Though lovers be lost love shall not.

BlakeK

Since I don't have HBO I just now started watching John Oliver's show. I started watching clips on YouTube and it's fucking hilarious. The Net Neutrality piece had me cracking up. It also made me realize I need to watch the news more often. I had no idea that cable companies are pushing for two tiers of internet speed.

Anna Karina

His episode on Ferguson was really good.

BlakeK

Quote from: Anna Karina on September 18, 2014, 08:24:06 PM
His episode on Ferguson was really good.
I saw it. It was really good. I also like the one on FIFA a lot, too.

Anna Karina

Oh my god Boardwalk Empire, nooooooooooooo.

BlakeK

Quote from: Anna Karina on October 12, 2014, 07:50:01 PM
Oh my god Boardwalk Empire, nooooooooooooo.
I haven't watched episode 6 yet. So far this season reminds me of a cross between Breaking Bad (Margaret is Skylar and always has been), the Godfather 2 and 3, and a much darker version of Forrest Gump (Van Alden is Forrest)

Just watched Episode 6 and I agree with your sentiment.

BlakeK

I'm not sure if anyone here has watched American Horror Story. I really liked the first season and the 2nd was okay. I didn't like Coven. I can't put my finger on why I didn't care for it, I just lost interest. Freak Show is on now and I'm into it so far. The killer clown is very unnerving.

Edit: I just watched the second episode. The Fiona Apple bit with the mosh pit and crowd surfing was just too corny. I need a new show for me and my fiancé to watch at night now that she's caught up on Boardwalk Empire. I'll go back and give the Knick a second chance. The second episode was boring so I moved on. That was premature, I'll give it another go.

Anna Karina

I highly recommend the Amazon Instant show Transparent. Probably the best show of 2014.

Comedy drama following a family as a character played by Jeffrey Tambor reveals to his kids that he's transitioning to a trans person and how his children react. Already picked up for a second season.

Anna Karina

Also the web series High Maintenance is really good too and I'd say it's a good companion piece to Transparent.

AaronTheCabe

Recitfy on netflix and watching on Brett's behest. Its griffin alright (i live 10 miles from where they film) and its strange hearing that south metro / part country but not entirely southern accent. its true to the area for sure.

AaronTheCabe

"Why is efficiency considered showing off in the modern world?" - Rectify. awesome show

its strange seeing places on tv that are personal to me, like the rock creek where the girl was killed is Line Creek Nature Reserve in peachtree city ga and is where i sometimes go to hike and be alone and contemplate life, the universe, and everything. its so strange seeing it on the show. im sure living in cali (for those of you who do) are probably used to that but growing up in a no name town in piece of junk lower atlanta metro, ga and how its become a little hollywood is just strange. where i used to bike as a kid is now this major tourist attraction from the walking dead and its nigh impossible to bike there anymore due to the number of spectators. all so weird

AaronTheCabe

Fuck it brett! did trey do it or is he for real with all that bs. i mean you think he *had* to have done it then when daniel throws him into the wall, and he's all laughing like "who does that!? you're a psycho killer" i mean its keeping the dramatic irony on for real. cause trey knows something that we, the audience, can never know until its revealed by him some other way. DDDAAAAMMMMNNN