General Television Thread

Started by Anna Karina, June 10, 2014, 02:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AaronTheCabe

Quote from: pronetoaccidents on September 09, 2015, 11:11:52 AM
uh, okay aaron. sorry i guess?

would you rather me lie and say i read about it in fucking tv guide? i was under the impression i could say whatever the fuck i was feeling around people i thought cared about me (we have been exchanging p.m's and talking on facebook about our drug and life problems for years now) but anyway, maybe i'll just lay low and keep my writing to my blogs and self. sorry to soil your message board experience with my life

and i was talking about television. how it was enjoyable to have. You're right about the internet being all one needs. I don't have that. Whenever I post here it's on a workforce 1 computer for the most part, library sometimes. but i digress, it's about tv not me, right?
I'm upset I won't be able to watch Season Two of the Knick. American Horror Story was pretty cool. It's also nice when i can't go to sleep to just have a random channel playing. i've always found white noise soothing

i was mean but no apologies if you can't understand how someone in recovery and sober doesn't want to read about those things when clicking on a tv thread. Perhaps a trigger warning would be warranted. but enough of that, you can PM me if you wish to discuss it further.

FOR BRETT:

How about this season of Rectify!? Oh man, its so amazing, nearly a perfect show in its acting, philosophy, writing, and didactic art. Have you heard of the Memphis 3? I have looked and looked and can't find anywhere where Recitfy is referenced to have used the main kid from that case as an influence but check out this clip below and tell me that with the southern attitudes, the witch hunt, the putting away of what may be an innocent due to pressure from political realm, i mean i think its pretty obvious, not that its copying or that Rectify couldn't have been thought up without it but after watching this and another clip before I knew it i thought, "this would make a good movie" then realized it has pretty much been a tv show on rectify. thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-yUUEw-Wrc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIarfyORH58

is this not Daniel Holden all the way?!!?
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back breakfast

BlakeK

I believe The Huffington Post had Damien Echols review the first season (or maybe just the first episode) of Rectify. His thoughts were interesting. Have you seen all of the Paradise Lost movies about the WM3? If not, just watch West of Memphis. It summarizes everything well and adds some good stuff.

I don't think they used Damien Echols as a template for Daniel Holden. They look similar but the cases and circumstance are too different. I don't know though.
Quote from: BlakeK on March 09, 2017, 06:59:37 PM
Having said that, I'd rather listen to Papa Roach than GG Allin

lindsey

Has anyone seen the first preview for "W/ Bob & David" the new mr show or whatever?? I would love to hear yalls takes on it. I feel v conflicted re: the blackface. I wanted to be more stoked but a little bit was like WTF? I DO get that it's satire... But it's not that clear, and also INVOLVES BLACKFACE. I am stumped.

jer

i'm not exactly qualified to speak to this, but the piece does seem to be very obviously satire and the butt of the joke is by no means black people, the butt of the joke is the type of idiot willing to wear black face, and the police response to him as a white guy vs him as a black guy.

but this is the first i'm hearing about it, so there's probably some more qualified people who are taking this differently. from my perspective the satire couldn't be more obvious, unless you put a flashing "SATIRE" marquee on the screen.
Anti-Creative Records sells some things.
http://www.anti-creative.com

ramblinrabble

Speaking of w/ Bob & Dave, a friend of mine was on the train, when David Cross came onto the train between stops, did a little stand up bit to promote the show, and left.   I'm jealous.

lindsey

lindsey

It seemed to be more of a spoof on those like, "you don't have to talk to a cop" videos, which is dumb because those are important. And then suddenly he is in black face and gets the shit beat out of him, but it was so loosely executed that you are kind of left wondering if he even IS actually making a point about institutionalized racism or just...making an easy joke, in black face.

skateandannoy

What's with this neo-blackface thing going on in comedy? The Halloween episode of Louie was so weird
https://deadformat.net/tradelist/anthemforadoomed

Quote from: tinybitsofheart on August 01, 2014, 06:53:17 AM
kinda weird how the earth continues to spin on its axis and everything eventually dies even when you don't want it to dang

manmagic

Quote from: skateandannoy on November 06, 2015, 10:01:15 AM
What's with this neo-blackface thing going on in comedy? The Halloween episode of Louie was so weird

Americans are stealing everything from British comedy.

jer

Quote from: lindsey on November 06, 2015, 12:22:13 AM
It seemed to be more of a spoof on those like, "you don't have to talk to a cop" videos, which is dumb because those are important.

It seemed more so to be targeting the endless stream of dipshit white libertarian kids posting videos of themselves refusing to show their subway tickets to train cops because IT'S ILLEGAL SEARCH AND SEIZURE AND I KNOW MY RIGHTS I AM AN OPPRESSED MIDDLE CLASS WHITE MAN, which are not at all the same as the videos that do actually tell you what your rights are with cops, and not just bro-pissing-contest.

Quotebut it was so loosely executed that you are kind of left wondering if he even IS actually making a point about institutionalized racism or just...making an easy joke, in black face.

what's the easy joke there if not cops are assholes to black people? i thought that was the easy joke.

Anna Karina

I don't want to watch anything until I can watch the actual show, considering, well, it's Mr. Show (basically). But Mr. Show was always ridiculously ahead of its time regarding social commentary, so I assume there are more layers to the skit than just making an easy joke.

edit: If I'm 555 then you're...

(also, will respond RE: Rectify when I can, heading to a friend's birthday gathering right now and have a wedding tomorrow, sorry!)

jer

Yeah, the butt of the joke is Cross's character being someone dumb enough to wear blackface. It's punching upwards.

skateandannoy

Quote from: manmagic on November 06, 2015, 11:56:40 AM
Quote from: skateandannoy on November 06, 2015, 10:01:15 AM

Americans are stealing everything from British comedy.
What's with this neo-blackface thing going on (apparently) in British comedy?
https://deadformat.net/tradelist/anthemforadoomed

Quote from: tinybitsofheart on August 01, 2014, 06:53:17 AM
kinda weird how the earth continues to spin on its axis and everything eventually dies even when you don't want it to dang

AaronTheCabe

I watch nearly nothing but British comedy and have no seen black face, although I have heard references to it in some. ANd that one time on mtichell and webb where david mitchell does blackface off set and rob tells him its racist as fuck. will post below if i can find it.

HOLY SHIT MASTER OF NONE IS AMAZING! Aziz Ansari is nailing it. Each episode feels like a short indie film with musical and style reminiscent of early Tarantino and Wes anderson. its soooooo good! and I honestly never cared for parks and recs or his character in it. But I enjoyed his standup which the shows plays to I think. I'd say its equal or even better than Louis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6cpU_iIqLs

manmagic

I could name dozens of British comedies that have used black face, but if you want just a few The Mighty Boosh, How not to live your life, Little Britain, the Catherine Tate show. There are plenty more.

I only said what I said, because I also watch mainly British TV and I rarely see them steal our ideas, but I notice American television has a large history of copying other people ideas.

Obviously there is a difference between Robert Downy Jr in Tropic Thunder

and this clip from the British TV series Come Fly With Me

I have my opinions on the matter, but I haven't stopped watching some of those shows because of this either.

edit: if these photos don't follow board guidelines I'll remove them, but figured they were relevant to the discussion.

lindsey

I guess i just didn't find it funny or effective enough to justify wearing blackface.

Their "Better roots" sketch was way more effective.

The show is pretty freakin' killer in general, though (So far)

ramblinrabble

AaronTheCabe

Quote from: jer on November 05, 2015, 09:59:11 AM
i'm not exactly qualified to speak to this, but the piece does seem to be very obviously satire and the butt of the joke is by no means black people, the butt of the joke is the type of idiot willing to wear black face, and the police response to him as a white guy vs him as a black guy.

but this is the first i'm hearing about it, so there's probably some more qualified people who are taking this differently. from my perspective the satire couldn't be more obvious, unless you put a flashing "SATIRE" marquee on the screen.

so somehow i missed that mr. show got reincarnated
just saw that episode
i didn't think it was offensive in the least. While not their best satire skit, it makes a point that most of us are aware of with an easy joke while making fun the way jer described.
some of this i think is a lot more satire and scathing at that, than mr.show
anyone who would take offense of this i suspect would also take offense to "A Modest Proposal" but just as a modest proposal makes you feel uncomfortable, i think thats the point
not saying the skit was = to Swift's satire, but that satire strives to border that offensive, kinda sick but you understand its not promoting the process within the art
arguably i find there are many other, better, and uncomfortable stuff than that particular one.

Forgot about all the blackface in The Mighty Boosh and i'm not sure it fits since few actors play so many differing characters [noel fielding has an african american new york cop that he plays in his 'luxury comedy'
but he also plays over a dozen characters, many of which are inanimate objects, many of differing accents and stereotype ethnic characteristics. Its more an aspect of the surrealism than anything like the early  american vaudeville blackface.

i mean, was eddie murphy's white face, one of the greatest comedy skits in history, also bordering that? fuck yea it was, which is what made it an iconic moment in sketch comedy/ SNL

ian

distasteful mansplainin aside new mr show happens to not be that funny. nothing bigger conceptually than any ol podcast has done already

AaronTheCabe

Quote from: ian on November 27, 2015, 10:37:00 PM
distasteful mansplainin aside new mr show happens to not be that funny. nothing bigger conceptually than any ol podcast has done already

There appears to be some problems with your logic.
I hope you allow me to help.
I get the impression you speak in absolutes, or at least in quoted statement, the syntax you use equates to one of either (A) the new bob & david show is not that funny objectively or (B) the new bob & david show is not that funny because I believe it that is fact...
Facts can be false. I'm sure you remember that class when you were in school as a kid. I enjoyed it myself.
If your logic is (A) is does not bear up to evidence, as I myself did not perceive that reality. The inconsistency questions the veracity of your fact
If your logic is (B) then I would assume, but never claim to know, that you ascribe to relativism, certainly of the cultural niche and perhaps too of the moral? That is an induction that could be wrong however. Being one of cultural relativism means you must have mistakenly wrote your statement without considering the agency of others' relativism...which makes your statement quite a failure....
unless of course you intended to take that agency from me, which might explain the somewhat confrontational, troll-ish diction surrounding a fact that is becoming more and more inconsistent that the only current implication, considering intention to deny my agency and relativism, would mean you perhaps consider solipsism as the most consistent aspect of your reality.
As there in no logic necessary in solipsism because it would mean you and only you exist, the need for any systemic and critical understanding would be superfluous to anything other than your own selfish needs and desire.
I could imagine Ayn Rand and you sitting by the trains, sipping tea together.

Perhaps a way around all this is to try a new logic, perhaps anti- Aristotelian logic where competition isn't necessary, perhaps? Allow me, please, and for your pleasure, to rewrite your fact to a more consistent one with the present reality that I think we both exist [but truly the possibility of our existing in differing dimension is certainly a possible, if not highly improbably, end result]

the rewrite: 'While I personally feel your post was distasteful mansplainin, I don't have the time to examine the reasons why, but it seems like the new mr show happens to not be that funny. nothing bigger conceptually than any ol podcasts that I have heard and I persoanlly think have already gone after such endgoals of satire in their comedy, but not knowing what you have heard and how you have no knowledge of mine, I guess we are both right when analyzed from our respective perspectives. '

Now if you meant what I just re-wrote and I misinterpreted it, apologies. I am simply acting on the little I know and thought I could help you refine the meaning behind your statement of fact, which I found upon evidence to be quite a false statement.

Hope you are having an awesome day amig@

-aaron

jerkemy

Quote from: AaronTheCabe on November 28, 2015, 11:45:06 AM
Quote from: ian on November 27, 2015, 10:37:00 PM

There appears to be some problems with your logic.
I hope you allow me to help.
I get the impression you speak in absolutes, or at least in quoted statement, the syntax you use equates to one of either (A) the new bob & david show is not that funny objectively or (B) the new bob & david show is not that funny because I believe it that is fact...
Facts can be false. I'm sure you remember that class when you were in school as a kid. I enjoyed it myself.
If your logic is (A) is does not bear up to evidence, as I myself did not perceive that reality. The inconsistency questions the veracity of your fact
If your logic is (B) then I would assume, but never claim to know, that you ascribe to relativism, certainly of the cultural niche and perhaps too of the moral? That is an induction that could be wrong however. Being one of cultural relativism means you must have mistakenly wrote your statement without considering the agency of others' relativism...which makes your statement quite a failure....
unless of course you intended to take that agency from me, which might explain the somewhat confrontational, troll-ish diction surrounding a fact that is becoming more and more inconsistent that the only current implication, considering intention to deny my agency and relativism, would mean you perhaps consider solipsism as the most consistent aspect of your reality.
As there in no logic necessary in solipsism because it would mean you and only you exist, the need for any systemic and critical understanding would be superfluous to anything other than your own selfish needs and desire.
I could imagine Ayn Rand and you sitting by the trains, sipping tea together.

Perhaps a way around all this is to try a new logic, perhaps anti- Aristotelian logic where competition isn't necessary, perhaps? Allow me, please, and for your pleasure, to rewrite your fact to a more consistent one with the present reality that I think we both exist [but truly the possibility of our existing in differing dimension is certainly a possible, if not highly improbably, end result]

the rewrite: 'While I personally feel your post was distasteful mansplainin, I don't have the time to examine the reasons why, but it seems like the new mr show happens to not be that funny. nothing bigger conceptually than any ol podcasts that I have heard and I persoanlly think have already gone after such endgoals of satire in their comedy, but not knowing what you have heard and how you have no knowledge of mine, I guess we are both right when analyzed from our respective perspectives. '

Now if you meant what I just re-wrote and I misinterpreted it, apologies. I am simply acting on the little I know and thought I could help you refine the meaning behind your statement of fact, which I found upon evidence to be quite a false statement.

Hope you are having an awesome day amig@

-aaron

you need to tell me you're doing a bit right now or you're banned for life

jerkemy

if anyone cares, I feel like as is usually the case with weaker Mr. Show entries, the concepts are better than the execution. I liked the central idea in the "Heaven Is For Real" parody where the kid comes back with info about Heaven that nobody wants to hear, but I didn't really ever laugh out loud. The cornball "don't need nothin fancy" country song that evolves into the band demanding a litany of specifically fancy catering by the end is also funny on paper but I was mostly like "heh" when seeing it.

I definitely enjoyed it overall, but it's hard to determine how much of that enjoyment was based on already liking the people involved and naturally rooting for any Mr. Show project to be good

jerkemy

also my response to the blackface thing would be that as a white guy who's gotten to treat whatever I want as a joke with zero negative repercussions for my entire life, it's easy for me to make the call that it's clearly satire and punching up

but part of being a decent human is a willingness to honestly hear out people who disagree and at least be like "OK fair enough" instead of "NO, it is SATIRE, WHY do you want to CENSOR JOAKS"

Anna Karina

Pretty weird, I laughed at the episodes.  Crazy world we live in.

jerkemy

I laughed. Didn't say it was bad, it just didn't practically kill me like original Mr. Show did. I dunno if anything could live up to the anticipation.