Fast food for vegetarians

Started by manmagic, September 16, 2014, 08:00:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manmagic

What are some chain restaurants with lesser known veggie options, maybe something you have gotten the restaurant to make you that isn't on the menu?

I don't have a kitchen at the moment and have been eating out way to often, but I'm trying not to spend a fortune.

Lately its been all BK veggie burgers and Taco Bell black bean burritos.

Any suggestions? 

AaronTheCabe

honestly the taco bell and bk veggie are probably your best bet when it comes to fast food.

if you step up to half assed dine ins, you might find a nice boca burger or veggie quesadilla (like taco macs, or better yet, authentic and cheap mexican restaurants wholly shit i spelled restaurant correctly without having to stop and think about it for a second. that may be a first)

there's also chinese take out. with the ridiculous price hikes from most fast food this might be your best choice both from a vegetarian POV and economic POV, you pay about the same, get twice the food and tons of rice. its really a win win

GOOD LUCK! please post any findings you make as it would be good to know alternatives
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back breakfast

Phitney

Taco Bell has this thing called a Veggie Cantina Bowl that's pretty good. Rice, black beans, veggies, salsa, guac, and some kind of sauce (if you're vegan, ask for it without because I'm pretty sure the sauce has milk and/or egg in it like a lot of salad dressings). It's a bit pricey for Taco Bell, though ($6). You can substitute beans in any Taco Bell menu item, though.

Subway is cheap and a good way to get veggies. Some Subways have a veggie patty, but I'm pretty sure it's not vegan.

IMAWRAETHTHU

LOCASTORE

convenient local food, trademarked

you see, it's all about...

LOCAL RESILIENCY!!!
WHOEVER YOU ARE, WHATEVER YOU DO, WHERE EVER YOU ARE, YOU DON'T DESERVE ABUSE!!!

SUR-VI-VOR!!!

Phitney

IMAWRAETHTHU

OMG, look it up, Susan Butler's got IDEAS!!!

she is a transplant, actually!

but she did live up at the GREEN VALLEY!!!

if I remember correctly, the first woman to build a house there, actually, factually!!!
WHOEVER YOU ARE, WHATEVER YOU DO, WHERE EVER YOU ARE, YOU DON'T DESERVE ABUSE!!!

SUR-VI-VOR!!!

AaronTheCabe

I and the think the board would appreciate it if you edited and deleted the above post. I interpret it as passive aggressive meanness directed at whitney for telling you to stop, justly so for posting in a thread something that has nothing to do with it and spreading whatever agenda you have. i don't appreciate it and i doubt anyone else does either. perhaps an edit recommending a place to get vegetarian food would be more appropriate...i appreciate your compliance

IMAWRAETHTHU

Quote from: AaronTheCabe on September 16, 2014, 07:13:29 PM
I and the think the board would appreciate it if you edited and deleted the above post. I interpret it as passive aggressive meanness directed at whitney for telling you to stop, justly so for posting in a thread something that has nothing to do with it and spreading whatever agenda you have. i don't appreciate it and i doubt anyone else does either. perhaps an edit recommending a place to get vegetarian food would be more appropriate...i appreciate your compliance

if assumed she was bing facetious like everyone else on this board and I interned with Loca store last year an Susan Butler's ideas about local community resilience and food sustainability networks are on some next level shit!

I that is not relevant to fast food for vegetarians the idk what is...i ain't about that fast food lif but that is exactly what Loca Store is trying to do with the PARADIGM SHIFT

like a locavore 7-11, it's just a baby still but she wants ten at least in Sonoma County alone and after that...Who knows???

SUR-VI-VOR!!!

Phitney

I wasn't being facetious. The purpose of this thread is about fast food options for vegetarians that can presumably be found anywhere.

I highly doubt OP lives wherever you live. You keep promoting only things that are near you and you are adding nothing to the conversation at hand. No one knows who the fuck Susan Butler is or what Loca whatever is or your Tom Waits night thing and probably not many of us care. Why? Because you're only focusing on what YOU care about that probably none of us will ever experience. It'd be different if you were adding value to the conversation. Perhaps something like, "Oh, speaking of fast food there's this neat store near me with lots of good veggie food options. But if you need something more widespread try X, Y, and Z foods at A, B, and C stores."

I don't know how to fully articulate myself on this, because I do care about the things happening in the towns where my fellow boardies live. The problem arises when you drive the conversation to only talk about you and what you care about and what's around you. It's off-putting.

So stop it.

IMAWRAETHTHU

Quote from: Phitney on September 17, 2014, 11:04:43 AM
I wasn't being facetious. The purpose of this thread is about fast food options for vegetarians that can presumably be found anywhere.

I highly doubt OP lives wherever you live. You keep promoting only things that are near you and you are adding nothing to the conversation at hand. No one knows who the fuck Susan Butler is or what Loca whatever is or your Tom Waits night thing and probably not many of us care. Why? Because you're only focusing on what YOU care about that probably none of us will ever experience. It'd be different if you were adding value to the conversation. Perhaps something like, "Oh, speaking of fast food there's this neat store near me with lots of good veggie food options. But if you need something more widespread try X, Y, and Z foods at A, B, and C stores."

I don't know how to fully articulate myself on this, because I do care about the things happening in the towns where my fellow boardies live. The problem arises when you drive the conversation to only talk about you and what you care about and what's around you. It's off-putting.

So stop it.

well i didn't know you guys were into censorship or really even super narrow topiced discussions...all evidense has pointed towards the other...i am not try ing to derail your thread but to contribute relevant information...and if you are saying that the proliferation of models of local sustainable food networks is irrelevant...idek...i amsure i have more to say on topic but i gotta go soon, today has been a long productive day and it is only half over.

SUR-VI-VOR!!!

AaronTheCabe

.....................how are you not getting this.......................
"OMG, look it up, Susan Butler's got IDEAS!!!

she is a transplant, actually!"

having no idea who susan butler is and after whitney asked you politely to desist in an onslaught of nonsensical rambling, can you not see how that seems like someway making fun of her, or at least implying something mean.

we are not censors. you write things we don't know about in obscure ways and don't explain what they are or how they relate. you are doing it in multiple threads. whitney said it better, try re-reading her post and think about it logically for a few minutes

IMAWRAETHTHU

Quote from: AaronTheCabe on September 17, 2014, 05:35:57 PM
.....................how are you not getting this.......................
"OMG, look it up, Susan Butler's got IDEAS!!!

she is a transplant, actually!"

having no idea who susan butler is and after whitney asked you politely to desist in an onslaught of nonsensical rambling, can you not see how that seems like someway making fun of her, or at least implying something mean.

we are not censors. you write things we don't know about in obscure ways and don't explain what they are or how they relate. you are doing it in multiple threads. whitney said it better, try re-reading her post and think about it logically for a few minutes

well i'm just planting a seed

look it up, relevant information potentially

SUR-VI-VOR!!!

Joe

I guess its not some lesser know option, but you can get a veggie foot-long at Subway for 5-bucks, and it's technically possible to stretch that into two meals.

amanda

Some Subways have the Veggie Max, which has the same Morningstar Farms patty as BK but in a long rectangle.

Chipotle is easily veggie.  Wendy's has a broccoli and cheese baked potato and side salads.  Chili's has a pretty good black bean burger.  I remember Ruby Tuesday's having a pretty good veggie burger and nice vegetable side options. 

I don't know if they even have it anymore, but sometimes I'd get the mushroom swiss burger, sans burger patty at places like Arby's or Hardees. 

AaronTheCabe

i really thought subways veggie "meat" was subpar but then agian, when you say, "everything on nit" (vegetable wise) i guess its less about the veggie platter and more about all those other goodies

BagginSagginBrian

All (corporate) fast food is subpar.

jer

Anti-Creative Records sells some things.
http://www.anti-creative.com

Anna Karina

To be fair, Subway's gross as hell, vegan or not.

michaelcopeland

I heard one of the chemicals in their bread is also used to make yoga mats, I'm not sure how true that is though.

Joe

Brett, OP was talking about Burger King, Taco Bell, and Cheap Fast Food in general, not swinging by your ultra-local back alley food co-op for a 12-dollar organic salad.

Subway might be gross, but if my other two choices are BK, and TB, I'm choosing corporate spinach from Subway.

I've heard the rubber claim, too.  I wouldn't be surprised.  The same stuff that makes drywall is in a lot of other breads too, as well as some brands of tofu. 

Anna Karina

I would choose any other sub chain before ever eating Subway.

I wish Capriotti's would open more locations because they're awesome and you could take out the turkey from their Bobbie sub so that it's just stuffing and cranberry sauce. Can't remember if there's anything else on it. Basically a Thanksgiving dinner sub. I think they have a relatively decent amount of locations.

Anna Karina

Also, the smell that permeates throughout every single Subway shop is the most nauseating thing.

RankResistance

I second the Taco Bell Cantina Bowls- it's kind of a gross slop-fest of food to look at, but it is decent enough in a pinch. A bit pricey for Taco Bell (~$5 here). If you order anything "Fresco style" at Taco Bell, the take out the cheese and sauces and put pico de gallo instead.

Steak and Shake has this "veggie melt" thing that I've had before that has mushrooms, onions, peppers, guacamole. Get it without cheese (thus negating the "melt" part of it, but hey, we don't need two creamy, fatty components on a sandwich anyways.)

Fazoli's is kind of gross but you can definitely get something vegetarian there. There are no more Fazoli's where I live and I've got to admit that I kind of miss it. Baked ziti.