Plan-It-X Soda Thread

Started by Semi, July 03, 2014, 05:28:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Semi

Since there's a beer and alcohol thread I thought I would balance it all out with a soda-thread. Since soda is the fucking bomb ya'll.

Today I'm drinking Cuba Cola and something called M.A.C Cola which is some sort of cola mixed with orange.

Cuba Cola is a swedish soda which is very very sweet and tastes a bit of cinnamon, it's pretty tough to find nowadays (it was popular in the 80s) and when you find it it's in the "Kids soda"-aisle (as if kids and grownups have different taste in soda?) which makes me do a walk of shame. But it's fucking worth it because Cuba Cola is the best thing since Rosa Luxemburgs book "The accumulation of capital".

I haven't tried the other cola yet, will return later (or tommorow depending on how much sugar this body can take).

Do you have any favourite soda?

What soda are you currently drinking?

What goes well with soda?

How do you feel that soda-drinking has affected your life?
I play accordian/guitar and sing together with my girlfriend who plays ukulele in our band Lagom, we sing songs about the internal contradictions of capital and watching Rupauls Dragrace.

dakotafloyd

Send me one of those Cuba Colas!

I love Soda.  I've tried nearly 400 different brands.

All-time favorite: Red Rock Cola.  It's generally kinda tough to find outside of Georgia, but if you're a cola fan and see it, I'd definitely recommend picking one up.  Mr. Cola is also really great and is a little easier to find.  Fentiman's Curiosity Cola is phenomenal, and Virgil's Special Edition Bavarian Nutmeg Root Beer is outstanding if you're willing to shell out between $3-5 for a nice, swivel top soda.

I'm not drinking a soda at this very second, but the last one I had was Pure Sodaworks Strawberry Jalepeno soda.  The flavors were pretty weak, which is surprising for a PS soda.  Their Cafe Cola is probably the best thing they make, though.

What doesn't go well with soda?

Soda drinking has in a really weird way contributed to my identity.  Multiple people at PIXfest brought me gifts of soda (thanks!!!), and I routinely get picture messages of weird sodas people are drinking.  It's pretty cool.
21 Moreland Ave. NE
Atlanta, GA 30307

dakotafloyd

For an incomplete photo documentation of sodas I've had: https://www.facebook.com/dakotafloyd/media_set?set=a.10151819643427723.1073741828.671157722&type=3

I tried to exclude the big name sodas that most everyone has had (Coke, Pepsi, Dr Pepper, and RC products), but trust that I've had nearly all of them.
21 Moreland Ave. NE
Atlanta, GA 30307

rory

Dakota had I known you were such a Soda fanatic I would have brought you some Faygo Rock N Rye to PIX. I only gave a few to Boogdish.
Quote from: Winged Killick
I'm an anarchist, but I'm not going to drive ninety-five miles an hour down the road tossing illegal, invasive species of snakes from my car while texting and fraudulently doing my taxes.

dakotafloyd

Daaaannnng!  Welp, there's always next year!

Definitely had some glass bottle Rock N Rye last time I was in Flint.
21 Moreland Ave. NE
Atlanta, GA 30307

Semi

Quote from: dakotafloyd on July 03, 2014, 09:43:43 AM
Send me one of those Cuba Colas!

We can definitely fix some sort of soda-trade! I don't really know how, but it has to be possible!

Quote from: dakotafloyd on July 03, 2014, 09:43:43 AMTheir Cafe Cola is probably the best thing they make, though.

I drank a coffee-variant of Coca Cola in when I was in Czechoslovakia a few years ago called Coca Cola Bläk which tasted really really bad.
I play accordian/guitar and sing together with my girlfriend who plays ukulele in our band Lagom, we sing songs about the internal contradictions of capital and watching Rupauls Dragrace.

Semi

M.A.C cola wasn't all that great by the way, just tasted like coca cola with a bit of fanta in it, gave the rest away to one of my housemates.

pronetoaccidents

i'm a big cream soda man.

i also used to dig jones soda.
Though lovers be lost love shall not.

Phitney

Quote from: dakotafloyd on July 03, 2014, 09:43:43 AM

All-time favorite: Red Rock Cola.  It's generally kinda tough to find outside of Georgia, but if you're a cola fan and see it, I'd definitely recommend picking one up.

The Red Rock Ginger Ale is pretty amazing, as well! The grocery store near me when I lived in Asheville had it and I'd get it all of the time.

I'm allllll about some ginger ale and ginger beer. My current favorite is Bruce Cost Unfiltered Jasmine Ginger Ale. So so so good. Blenheim Ginger Ale is also really good, but that's hard to find outside of GA, SC, and NC general stores.

I need to find a store here similar to Rocket Fizz. Rocket Fizz had so much weird soda and I would try to get a new one every time I went. I wish I could remember the name of this one because it was so disgusting. It had an alien on the label and was some kind of weird berry flavor I had never heard of. I don't know if it was just old or the soda is legitimately nasty. Has anyone tried that or know the name?

AaronTheCabe

M.A.C. cola is my cola. not that i drink it, i mean i own. well i created it, then couldn't get the funds to get it off the ground so i sold for a few hundred dollars to the guy i met at the train station.

Dakota knows his stuff about soda...he's like the soda guru man
I trust in him on all cola, soda, and pop related matters

I like foregin colas because in the suburbia desert I live in you can't find independent sodas
but the asian market in town has some of theirs, and Kroger has some mexican ones.

Do you call it soda, or cola, or pop?

SNAP CRACKLE
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back breakfast

AaronTheCabe

Also, ginger ale is the best thing evar.
root beer is horrible but grows on you....
see this quote from star trek that explains root beer utterly and completely
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VhSm6G7cVk
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back breakfast

Milpool

I've got a Dr Pepper tattoo.

One of my favorite sodas is Jarritos.  I think it's the most popular Mexican exported soda so you can find it a lot of places with a large Mexican population.  There are several flavors, my favorite being guava and tamarind.

disa

I would be down for a soda trade too! Iceland has a bunch of really good sodas. My favourite is Appelsin, which is an orange soda that doesn't taste anything like orange.

bee

so happy that dakota was the first person to respond to this thread.

having just moved to canada from the uk i am very excited at the amount of new soda pops i get to try. i am mostly trying to sample every kind of root beer possible but jones's bubblegum is also up my alley, as are most apple flavoured things. the jarritos i've tried have been good. there is also a higher quality of cream soda over here, they were mostly all terrible in the uk. i'm not a huge cream soda fan but could be partial to one once in a while now i know i can get decent ones.

also me and kw are planning a root beer zine so any root beer fans should look out for that in the not too distant future.

lindsey

ginger ale is my jam, i'd love to hear y'alls favorites. i like 'em real spicy if possible.

i loooove soda but i'm trying to cut back because sugar. i had a dr. browns ginger ale last night that was basically your typical "natural" type ginger ale. it was okay.

i also LOVE orange sodas, my favorite of all time is jarritos mandarin and hansen's tangerine and lime which tastes just like jarritos mandarin.

my boyfriend got a soda stream for christmas so i've been really into making my own "soda", i made one batch of ginger syrup that was really good but i made it too sweet and syrupy (like gloppy), but i mixed ginger syrup and limeade concentrate and soda water and it was fucking delicious. a few days ago i made sparkling raspberry lemonade with fresh crushed raspberries, it was pretty good. i wanna get into making lavender blends, i wanna try lavender ginger and lavender blueberry sodas the most. and also, sparkling teas! i wanna make a sparkling passion tea real bad. not sure if these count as SODA though.

disa

I don't know why the rest of my post won't show up, I've tried to edit it like five times!

edit: so it seems like my post got cut off after using an icelandic character, super weird

Rapture Ready Blowhard

I very seldom drink soda anymore (cutting down is probably the best thing I've ever done for my health), but once or twice a month I'll get a Cheerwine or a Tamarindo Jarritos.

There's a root beer from Northern Virginia called Dominion that I used to love but I haven't found any in my current city yet.

Milpool

Quote from: bee on July 06, 2014, 09:05:45 AM
so happy that dakota was the first person to respond to this thread.

having just moved to canada from the uk i am very excited at the amount of new soda pops i get to try. i am mostly trying to sample every kind of root beer possible but jones's bubblegum is also up my alley, as are most apple flavoured things. the jarritos i've tried have been good. there is also a higher quality of cream soda over here, they were mostly all terrible in the uk. i'm not a huge cream soda fan but could be partial to one once in a while now i know i can get decent ones.

also me and kw are planning a root beer zine so any root beer fans should look out for that in the not too distant future.

I heard that the UK uses a different recipe for Dr Pepper that tastes awful.  Drink a North American for us and report back!

bee

oh that's interesting because i used to love dr pepper but over time it tasted to me like a watered down root beer. i am willing to try it but i know the uk one at least contains aspartame which gives me migraines.

jer

Quote from: disa on July 06, 2014, 11:55:05 AM
I don't know why the rest of my post won't show up, I've tried to edit it like five times!

edit: so it seems like my post got cut off after using an icelandic character, super weird

I just converted the database to hopefully support foreign characters. let me know if you still see issues if you try again.
Anti-Creative Records sells some things.
http://www.anti-creative.com

moreaboutwhozackis

Dakota got me really hooked on root beers this past winter when he brought me a bottle of Filberts (thanks again, by the way), and I've been on a quest since to try whatever kinds I could, and so far have had Virgil's, Hansen's, various popular brands, Faygo, Jones, Frosties, Henry Weinhard, and a couple others I'm at a loss for.

amanda

I'm super into ginger beers right now.  For mixing with whiskey and on their own.  Gosling's is my favorite because it's super spicy.  Reed's is nice too but it's less aggressively ginger flavored and has a little more fruit to it.

I also loooooooooove Diet Coke.  It's so good.  I can't really stomach coffee anymore and I'm usually way too lazy to make tea at work so Diet Coke has become my go-to stress caffeinated beverage.

dakotafloyd

Quote from: Milpool on July 05, 2014, 11:35:49 PM
I've got a Dr Pepper tattoo.

Stoked that you omitted the period after Dr.  Most folks don't know that it hasn't been in the official spelling / formatting of the name since the 50s.
21 Moreland Ave. NE
Atlanta, GA 30307

dakotafloyd

Keep me posted on that RB zine, bee.  Super interested!  I'm assuming you've tried the Virgil's Special Edition RB w/ Bavarian Nutmeg?  It's seldom seen for under 3 bucks, but is totally worth it.

Starbucks has a new (well, they've been in the South for awhile for test marketing) line of sodas, so if anyone on here goes there, they might be worth your time.  So far I've able to try the Cane Cola and the Spice Root Beer flavors.  The CC was tasty, but the RB was pretty bland.  Definitely not worth the $2+, but if you have a gift card or something like I did what do you have to lose?

21 Moreland Ave. NE
Atlanta, GA 30307

lindsey

Anyone into Italian sodas?