Misc. Thoughts And Comments Thread

Started by Anna Karina, June 26, 2014, 09:32:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anna Karina

On my bus ride home from work tonight, I saw the most beautiful woman with really short hair sitting a few seats in front of me. She was staring out the window while running her fingers through her hair and it was the most soothing thing. How do people not just stare at each other all the time?  I wanted to compliment her hair but talking to people is, like, not my thing,  y'know?

Anna Karina

I fantasize about having a job where I'd be traveling/staying in hotel rooms for eighty percent of my life.

momitsnowme

Have you heard the Mike Birbiglia piece about the pretty woman on the bus? 

Anna Karina

I may have but I don't recall. Whenever I think if Mike Birbiglia, all I can think of is Joey Baggadonuts.

momitsnowme

It's in the This American Life episode about good guys and is worth listening to!

lindsey

Quote from: Anna Karina on June 26, 2014, 09:32:39 PM
How do people not just stare at each other all the time?

i think most women would agree that "people" do stare at "each other" literally all the time. we just avoid eye contact because it makes us like 1% less likely to be fucked with.

I'M IN A FEMINIST RAGE AFTER READING COMMENTS ON THE JESSICA WILLIAMS SEXUAL ASSAULT SEGMENT

rory

Yeah I'm strange looking and gender nonconforming so getting stared at is almost like a skill I have at this point.

But like, sometimes you just have this compulsion to look at someone, and it's not a mean to be creepy, there's just something totally interesting going on. I try my best not to stare when I feel that way, mostly because I know what it's like to be stared at with reckless abandon (which is to say, it sucks and is terrifying).
Quote from: Winged Killick
I'm an anarchist, but I'm not going to drive ninety-five miles an hour down the road tossing illegal, invasive species of snakes from my car while texting and fraudulently doing my taxes.

lindsey

true dat

yesterday an old lady stared at me for a while cause i think she was just confused

staring is at best rude and at worst very terrifying

Anna Karina

My staring was pure. :(

And also in no longer than, like, five second increments. Probably less than that but time doesn't move ever. I felt like I was looking at a shot from a Kieslowski film.

Anna Karina

I think I just nonchalantly got a $50/week raise? This pleases me considering yesterday I didn't get the second job I was really hoping for.

Pwoink

Staring is tough 'cause sometimes I just want to look at a person because they are interesting and I like looking at interesting things, but we've latched on so much societal meaning onto eye contact, and it's a drag! Even when people stare at me and I'm almost positive it's, as Brett said, "pure," I feel on edge.

Why is it okay when lil kids do it? I always get, "Look, her hair is blue," from kids, and sometimes the parents are like, "Well, you should say something to her," and that's totes okay.

Rapture Ready Blowhard

Courtney

Can't we just start threads and discuss specific things instead of having a mish mash of topics to wade through?

Anna Karina

This is for things that don't really need their own threads.

If you think it should have its own thread, then it wouldn't go here.

jer

Yeah because we're so crowded with topics and all.

These dumb misc. Threads always devolve in to people ignoring each other and just posting news about themselves like it's a social network.

Person A: "horrible heartbreaking news"
Person B: "I just made some awesome cookies this is the best day to be alive!!!!!!111!!!!!1!!!"
Anti-Creative Records sells some things.
http://www.anti-creative.com

AaronTheCabe

Sorry for starting the +/- thread, as it got the same criticism.

I was going to edit and change the title when i saw that but others had already started their ow +/- stuff so it seemed wrong

feel free to delete it if you want
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back breakfast

Anna Karina

I didn't really intend for this to be the same as the +/- thread.  More observations and miscellaneous discussions not worth having their own threads for.

But fine, let's complain about this and I'll not post anything at all.

jer

Anti-Creative Records sells some things.
http://www.anti-creative.com

Anna Karina

I've been eating basically nothing but olives and mushrooms for the past two weeks.

Anna Karina

Do people eat pickled garlic by itself?

Anna Karina

Anna Karina

Meaning regular garlic, not garlic just whatsoever. Garlic rules. Fuck you if you don't like garlic. I'm talking about by itself.

pronetoaccidents

i can't help but stare at almost everyone and everything just because everyone and everything is beautiful to me in some way or another but when it's reciprocated i get a little terrified. i suppose it's my low self esteem. god forbid they might find me nice to look at, in my mind they are making a mental check list of everything that's funny looking, misshapen, unproportionate, disfigured, scared and on top of that they can read my mind and think i'm a neurotic, insane, depraved, raving lunatic and they are anxiously counting the milliseconds till they can get off the subway and break into a kenyan mountain run to get as far from me as possible.
Though lovers be lost love shall not.

pronetoaccidents

so.. how about them Mets?

and i really miss OTB (off track betting). i spent a many a night in the slums of some shit hole upstate new york dive of a town placing 2 dollar bets on the wild card and getting a slight little buzz, comparable to a weak uninspired orgasm (which is still better than none) at the thought that my 2 bucks could turn into twenty if the old horse with a limp that got spared from being put down by PETA guys picketing and the alcoholic jokey could actually pull in for a photo finish and surprise all the other mutants sitting beside me. and yeah, this is real life not a bukowski excerpt.

Though lovers be lost love shall not.