Started by pronetoaccidents, July 17, 2016, 09:12:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pronetoaccidents

Though lovers be lost love shall not.

pronetoaccidents

surprisingly no suicide love/vega respect here

BlakeK

They're just one of those bands that people would occasionally mention on the internet growing up and I just never saw the appeal of the music. I don't know anything about the man. If you have some interesting things to share I'm willing to listen.
Quote from: BlakeK on March 09, 2017, 06:59:37 PM
Having said that, I'd rather listen to Papa Roach than GG Allin

pronetoaccidents

some cool things about suicide (band, of course)..

-  They were among the first groups to use the phrase punk music in an advertisement for a concert in 1970. Vega personally considered it "New York Jewish blues" though.

- Broke bottles and rolled in glass, cutting himself, etc way before GG Allin/Darby Crash. Believed in the art of confrontation and that "instigation and agitation were vital and necessary" for the audience to become integrated and one with the performer.

- Laid the blueprint for punk, post-punk, synth pop, and industrial rock.

-The song Frankie Teardrop alone. It's one of the most terrifying, harrowing songs to listen to. It's about a miserable factory worker who murders his family then kills himself and winds up in hell. If you can make it through the whole 10 minutes you'll be slightly changed, which I believe is the ultimate point of writing a song.

- Probably the punkest band. Just a keyboard, a primitive drum machine, a semi-elvis impersonating vega notorious for brandishing a length of motorcycle drive chain onstage, playing songs that sometimes sounded like aliens trying to play du wop, or just brutality set to music.

- The majority of the early shows resulted in riots (i dunno, i find that cool. maybe i'm just stupid and destructive.)

-

- These bands listed them as one of the main reasons they started playing music..  Big Black, Panthére, Gang Gang Dance, The Jesus and Mary Chain, The Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, Henry Rollins, Joy Division/New Order, Soft Cell, Nick Cave, D.A.F., Erasure, the music of Giant Haystacks, The KLF, Ministry, Nine Inch Nails, OMD, Pet Shop Boys,[16] Tears for Fears, Cassandra Complex, Mudhoney, Nitzer Ebb, Sigue Sigue Sputnik, Radiohead, Kap Bambino, Spacemen 3, Spiritualized, Angel Corpus Christi  Michael Gira, MGMT, Sky Ferreira, Sonic Boom, Loop, The Fleshtones, The Cars, Mi Ami, Depeche Mode, Dead Kennedys, Sonic Youth, R.E.M., Devo, Ultravox, Massive Attack, Air, Autechre, The Chemical Brothers, Daft Punk, Aphex Twin, The Kills, Bono Vox.

Bruce Springsteen is also a huge fan and ends a lot of shows doing a cover of Dream Baby Dream. He also stated that the song State Trooper from Nebraska is heavily inspired by the song Frankie Teardrop.

some of the best videos/songs..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5muUpJKBoFc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUOUNBTjexU

BlakeK

I just can't get into it. It seems as though they're  one of those early punk bands who influenced bands who were/are much better at making music. I listened to Frankie Teardrop and while I can appreciate it, I could never see myself listening to his stuff for more than 10 minutes at a time and that's pushing it.
Quote from: BlakeK on March 09, 2017, 06:59:37 PM
Having said that, I'd rather listen to Papa Roach than GG Allin