Music that you like that you assume people on the board hate

Started by BlakeK, March 01, 2016, 07:17:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pronetoaccidents

I miss being able to turn on the radio, like regular popular radio, and hearing blink 182, one of my all time favorite bands still.

stoked that dude ranch is finally getting pressed to some wax again
Though lovers be lost love shall not.

pronetoaccidents

gg allins early stuff with the jabbers were awesome. sounds like buzzcocks. bored to death, don't talk to me, good stuff

too bad he was a piece of shit covered in his own shit

pronetoaccidents

GrownFolk

I'm sure I'm the only one, the only one willing to openly admit it anyway.  I enjoy the Grateful Dead(hands in punk rock cred card).  I've always enjoyed weird outsider type music.  I listen to a lot of free jazz that most people would just consider noise.  When the Dead get on those long improv jams they get into some pretty left field shit that nobody else was doing at the time and it gets pretty improv jazzy.  I dig that shit.  I've lived in several houses over the years with 30+ people and they were often a mix of punks and hippies.  These groups aren't really all that different aside from musical taste.  I'm not into the modern jam band scene and that crap but I dig me some Grateful Dead.

pronetoaccidents

the grateful dead wrote amazing songs. it's the endless fucking noodling and un-epic jams that suck. the straight up songs, I can list a whole bunch, are really catchy and cool. I grew up listening to them, my dad was a huge deadhead so I got a soft spot.. touch of grey, friend of the devil (my band used to do a snotty cover of that), uncle johns band.. the list goes on. if they were a straight foward, verse chorus verse type band they'd be so much better and get shit on less..

but what they spawned? jam bands are the worst

BlakeK

Quote from: jer on April 20, 2016, 09:00:47 AM
Quote from: BlakeK on April 19, 2016, 06:56:23 PM
there needs to be a spotlight for bands that don't get much radio play. Maybe I'm just out of touch.

hey dude, check out the world wide web, i think you'd dig it.
No thanks dude my dial up is too slow. Besides, every time I start listening to or downloading a song, the phone rings and fucks everything up.

Seriously though, is there a central site or YouTube channel that kids check out daily that exposes them to music they may not have heard of or sought out? If you know what you're looking for it is easy but it can be hard to find good stuff without some guidance. Where is Matt Pinfield?
Quote from: BlakeK on March 09, 2017, 06:59:37 PM
Having said that, I'd rather listen to Papa Roach than GG Allin

GrownFolk

Quote from: pronetoaccidents on April 20, 2016, 04:00:19 PM
the grateful dead wrote amazing songs. it's the endless fucking noodling and un-epic jams that suck. the straight up songs, I can list a whole bunch, are really catchy and cool. I grew up listening to them, my dad was a huge deadhead so I got a soft spot.. touch of grey, friend of the devil (my band used to do a snotty cover of that), uncle johns band.. the list goes on. if they were a straight foward, verse chorus verse type band they'd be so much better and get shit on less..

but what they spawned? jam bands are the worst
I agree, they were great songwriters and could write some catchy ass tunes.  I dig the un-epic jams too though.  When they really get into a groove it sounds like some spaced out free jazz at times and I'm into that shit.  Totally agree on the jam bands.  That shit just doesn't do anything for me.  The dead were such great musicians and had such great chemistry that they could just improvise and play off each other and it stayed interesting.  These modern day bands can't do that.  I was at a music festival with Trey from Phish years back and I thought I'd at least give it a chance and check it out.  It was like one endless Trey guitar solo.  I didn't last long before I moved onto something more interesting. 

BlakeK

There's a lot of music that I used to listen to while smoking weed and dropping acid in high school that I might not listen to now but I never was into the Grateful Dead no matter what drugs I was on. Except Casey Jones of course. I'm looking at Grateful Dead songs and I liked Friend of the Devil and a few others. I totally forgot about some of their songs.
Quote from: BlakeK on March 09, 2017, 06:59:37 PM
Having said that, I'd rather listen to Papa Roach than GG Allin

momitsnowme