Did any of you ever journal?

Started by rory, September 01, 2015, 05:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rory

I realized today that I had not. Written in my physical journal for 1.5 year. It had Already been spare, but I was surprised to find it'd been that long.

I felt. Like my thoughts were more collected when I was writing more consistently. I also seemed that I ws able to keep a better general timeline when I did. I kind of feel like I lost my ability to divulge my thoughts coherently.

Anyone else write their lives down, or at least used to? I know I started writing in 7th grade and wrote consistently until sophomore year of colleges, at least. I hate going back and readin but I also try to do it periodically. Io"ve never destroyed any, which seems to be a thing people do.
Quote from: Winged Killick
I'm an anarchist, but I'm not going to drive ninety-five miles an hour down the road tossing illegal, invasive species of snakes from my car while texting and fraudulently doing my taxes.

momitsnowme

I used to journal every day and then started only journaling when I traveled. I really enjoyed it.

Joe

I've probably written a journal entry within the last year.  I normally pick it up when I'm really trying to process my emotional response to whaterve

rory

Quote from: Joe on September 02, 2015, 05:54:56 AM
I've probably written a journal entry within the last year.  I normally pick it up when I'm really trying to process my emotional response to whaterve

Totally, me too. But I've found if I embarrassingly were to go through my more recent entries, it's all "sorry I don't write anymore idk what happened" for a span of like 3 years. Then writing about something big that is changing my life. Then just vanishing. I wish I had more continuity. But I guess at least there's a spark of a skill set for working it out on paper there.
I'm an anarchist, but I'm not going to drive ninety-five miles an hour down the road tossing illegal, invasive species of snakes from my car while texting and fraudulently doing my taxes.

Joe

Quote from: rory on September 02, 2015, 06:52:05 AM
it's all "sorry I don't write anymore idk what happened" for a span of like 3 years. Then writing about something big that is changing my life. Then just vanishing. I wish I had more continuity. But I guess at least there's a spark of a skill set for working it out on paper there.

Oh yeah.  Mine gets like that sometimes too. 

I rarely re-read mine anymore, though.  I just use it so that I can stop having repetitive thoughts roll around in my head.  I liken it to Dumbledore's Pensieve and my head just being too full.

lindsey

I never was very consistent but when I did, it always felt soooo self conscious, like I was writing everything as if someone else would eventually find it. Also I thought I was going to be a great writer briefly in my early teen years, and then when I read a lot more amazing literature, I realized that I wasn't and also that I liked reading way more than writing. BUT I have had therapists over the years highly recommend it, so I consider taking it up again. I think I'd have to make it a daily habit if there was going to be any chance of keeping it up, and also, against all my romanticized ideas of journaling, I think I'd be more likely to write if it was on my computer.

I peaked at one of my high school journals a few months ago, and, like with reading old facebook messages or something, it just made me feel like an idiot. Maybe that kind of perspective is important?

momitsnowme

You guys! Check out 750words.com! I just learned about it and it looks awesome.

Joe

Quote from: momitsnowme on September 07, 2015, 08:24:39 PM

ha.  The Artist's Way is how my therapist encouraged me to begin seriously journaling.  I still follow the 3-page freewrite rule, and it is really the easiest method to purge the bad feels and keep the habit up. 

.edit:  I just saw the cool data visualization on 750words... that is pretty cool.  I'm not sure how comfortable I feel journaling into the internet though.

pronetoaccidents

I mostly embellish fucked up anecdotes from my life in short story format but i find actual journaling very therapeutic. Sometimes I have no idea how I'm actually feeling, I just feel like my body is a cellular prison and i'm just a gaseous vapor of insanity inside, nothing makes sense and when I actually put paper to pen, slowly I begin to understand what's going on inside. It's almost like i'm under hypnosis and speaking. I step back and read what I wrote and it's as if I'm reading someone elses work, someone who knows me and was able to write exactly what I wanted to say but didn't even know I wanted to say it or that that was what I was feeling. I generally have a feeling of convalescence upon completion.
Though lovers be lost love shall not.

rory

Quote from: Joe on September 08, 2015, 01:43:09 PM
Quote from: momitsnowme on September 07, 2015, 08:24:39 PM
.edit:  I just saw the cool data visualization on 750words... that is pretty cool.  I'm not sure how comfortable I feel journaling into the internet though.

I feel that, too.

edward

there was this awesome site OhLife that sent you an email every day and all you had to do was reply with a journal entry.  It would keep track and publish them all onto a private page.  Eventually they stopped having enough traffic/revenue and had to shut down the operation but it was kicking for a solid few years.  I'm really glad I have those records to look back on but I can't seem to inspire myself to write something down every day.