Setting up a tour for my band Anybody But The Cops in April

Started by rory, February 09, 2015, 09:36:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rory

If this thread is not alright, you can delete it, but I thought since I've been posting here for awhile, it'd be alright.

I am setting up my first tour all by myself - it's going to be about two weeks. I'm nervous as hell about doing this all myself, and although I've made some strides, it's starting to stagnate. I thought there might be a chance some of you would have ideas of people I should talk to. Or maybe when the shows are actually set up, you can just come and hang out! We're a noisy angular queerpunk band. Some folks in Bloomington and Chicago have seen us, but beyond that we've mostly just played in Michigan.

The tour is looking like:

4/8 - Detroit, MI - The Trumbullplex
4/9 - Binghamton, NY - HCS Skate Park w/ media limits, dog
4/10 - Brattleboro, VT - Future Collective w/ if not i than who then
4/11 - Boston, MA - Industry Lab, Cambridge w/ beech creeps, new pope
4/12 - Middletown, CT - Wesleyan College
4/13 - break day for visitin friends probably
4/14 - Lancaster, PA - The Seed w/ fisticuffs busansky, sexdoll
4/15 - Philadephia, PA - @TBA w/ Hermit Thrushes
4/16 - Dubois, PA - Jimmy's House?
4/17 - Pittsburgh, PA - The Shop w/ Microwaves, Joey Molinaro (didn't this guy used to post here?), Linear Downfall, Cruces

Does anyone have any advice on booking? I'm getting really stressed out and anxious about the whole thing as time goes on. I started out pretty optimistic. Definitely losing some of my confidence.
Quote from: Winged Killick
I'm an anarchist, but I'm not going to drive ninety-five miles an hour down the road tossing illegal, invasive species of snakes from my car while texting and fraudulently doing my taxes.

jer

Anti-Creative Records sells some things.
http://www.anti-creative.com

rory

Thx jer. I promise I'll make a for real thread about something that people actually can discuss when I have thoughts that aren't just travel-related anxiety again.
I'm an anarchist, but I'm not going to drive ninety-five miles an hour down the road tossing illegal, invasive species of snakes from my car while texting and fraudulently doing my taxes.

Joe

I have zero advice, but I'll say hi at your bloomington show.

rory

kw

hey rory,

are the only places you're looking for ideas ending in question marks? everything with just a city name and no annotation i am assuming is well on its way? i'll lend a hand where i can.

rory

Yeah pretty much. The person I have helping out in Cleveland is saying that setting up the show is proving more difficult than they initially anticipated, but I think it's not super dire yet. Also the one on the 9th is no longer a question mark, just got that one figured out last night!

Gator Punch

I don't know how helpful this will be for Philly, but two of the three shows I've actually managed to get my band on have been at a bar in Philly called the Kung Fu Necktie.  You can try contacting flashmobpro@gmail.com to see if they can get you on a show.  Again, I don't know how helpful this will be, because I've tried for months to get some shows going with out much luck.

rory

I've had a few people mention that place, and it looks like they've had some pretty neat shows! I have contacted a sort of booking collective in philly, and they are giving me a hard maybe with a "check back in a bit" sort of thing. I think they set up shows at a few places, including kung fu necktie.

I played a house show in Philly on one of my old band's tours, but that was a very different sort of thing, acoustic and so forth.

Gator Punch

Yeah, it's a cool place. Good luck with everything. I can imagine it being stressful, based on how stressed I get just trying to set up single shows for my band haha.

rory

My contact at Trumbullplex kind of just stopped responding to anything, and my Cleveland contact has tried all avenues to no success. Anyone know contacts in Toledo/Cleveland/Erie? I'd also love to play Toronto but I don't think all my bandmates have proper ID.

Tour booking is making me cry, ugh.

rory

So I updated the tour list. It's a bit shorter but it's looking like it's coming together!

Anyone on here from Bloomington that might want to set us up a show on the 18th of April?