band you love that everyone seems to hate

Started by pronetoaccidents, December 20, 2014, 08:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pronetoaccidents

okay we all know this was inevitable (as is the as yet to be made "band you hate that everyone seems to love) respond thread but i don't want this board to die down so lets keep the posts coming so i can make sure everyone still has a pulse! goddamn

Screeching Weasel

Old GG Allin (His stuff with the jabbers. I'm telling ya, it really is like Buzzcocks or undertones or something.) don't trust me? dig it..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYxNJbCvCdQ

the outlaw country acoustic GG Allin Album, it's actually quite impressive track for track and diversity.

It's really like i dunno, pat the fucking bunny or something only not as obnoixously folkpunk, like if he was held down and hooch was poured down his mouth by hank williams, David Allan Coe. Those cats. This is a Warren Zevon song. it rules..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp_Yd2dChsM

i love old goo goo Dolls. I will always love blink 182. There is nothing they could do or say that would make their music sound nothing short of flawless to me. No body did a better job or making an album for kids growing up in the 90s who were finally starting to not be little kids anymore and they find music and find something that fits them and sounds perfect and is funny and makes you wanna move and makes you wanna just jump on the couch and do backflips and shit. yeah.

yeah,

Though lovers be lost love shall not.

momitsnowme

I'm with you on old goo goo dolls and blink 182.

BlakeK

I know that everyone agrees that Ben Weasel is one of if not the worst human beings in punk rock but do people hate Screeching Weasel? I thought we all agree that the Screeching Weasel albums from the early to mid 90s were pretty fucking awesome. I really like Emo too and I believe it's late 90s.

I'm a little older than most and HATED Blink 182 growing up. They were a step above the likes of Good Charlotte but still pretty bad. I guess there are a couple songs on Dude Ranch that I liked (but wouldn't admit at the time). I'm on bored for the Goo Goo Dolls. I liked their stuff up to and including a Boy Named Goo. I got really sick of seeing the video to that song from the Nicolas Cage movie though that was a bit later.

I'll always love Green Day no matter how shitty their music gets or how many stupid musicals they do. The point at which they started sucking is debatable but the fact that they were fucking awesome is not.

The 90s had the best music.
Quote from: BlakeK on March 09, 2017, 06:59:37 PM
Having said that, I'd rather listen to Papa Roach than GG Allin

rory

Spent a lot of time in middle/early high school listening to Phish, which probably is the band to get the most intense negative reaction when I mention still having 6-7 albums of theirs on my computer.
Quote from: Winged Killick
I'm an anarchist, but I'm not going to drive ninety-five miles an hour down the road tossing illegal, invasive species of snakes from my car while texting and fraudulently doing my taxes.

Rapture Ready Blowhard

Elvis has become synonymous with cultural appropriation and white supremacy and to a large extend that's understandable and not entirely wrong.  Having said that, he's not the worst offender, he didn't invent stealing others' popular culture, and he made a fair amount of fun music and had a few genuinely powerful and moving moments as well.

michaelcopeland

Lately I've been hearing a lot of people say they hate Paul Simon, but I really like his music (even his later stuff). I also like really early GNR even though people give them shit.

momitsnowme

pronetoaccidents

anyone who doesn't appreciate the genuis of paul simon should recieve death by firing squad.

R.E.M. .. i love em.

and umm.. bad religion. They were my favorite band through a big chunk of high school

and just about any simple, Ramonescore rip-off band. The less original and cliche the better when it comes to this genre.

indian summer. i don't kow if people hate them or don't know about them or just don't talk about them but they're awesome.

meat puppets. they rule.
Though lovers be lost love shall not.

BlakeK

No one hates Bad Religion, do they? Most people on here appear to like the bands you've been talking about (except GG Allin, I assume most people so think that he sucks and hate him).

michaelcopeland

I've never been a big bad religion fan. When I first got into punk I pretended to like them because I felt like I was supposed to. I didn't like Green Day either. Also I don't know how everyone on here feels about Tom Waits but I know hes definitely not for everyone (I love him)

BlakeK

Quote from: michaelcopeland on December 24, 2014, 02:44:20 PM
I've never been a big bad religion fan. When I first got into punk I pretended to like them because I felt like I was supposed to. I didn't like Green Day either. Also I don't know how everyone on here feels about Tom Waits but I know hes definitely not for everyone (I love him)
I probably wouldn't have liked Green Day either if I was your age. It makes me feel really fucking old to realize that when I bought Dookie you were 1 or 2 and was listening to Nirvana before you were born. I've never felt more like an old man in my life.

michaelcopeland

Yea the first song I heard by them was "boulevard of broken dreams", but if Dookie was the first album I heard my opinion may be a lot different.

lindsey

i mostly just hate stuff everyone seems to love

Nate Rainey

Signature get.

CrackyMcCrackerson

NOFX, Arcade Fire, The Ataris, Bright Eyes, Brand New.

Mostly just NOFX.  I still love the fuck out of this band.

michaelcopeland

Bright Eyes is amazing! I also used to love NOFX, I don't really listen to them anymore. To me they just haven't evolved over time, I still love their 90's stuff though. I've never been a fan of Brand New although almost all of my friends really like them.

ramblinrabble

Chumbawamba.   Nobody can get past Tubthumping and assumes its all they've ever done.

BagginSagginBrian

My late mother loved the Eagles thus I like the Eagles.

bee

down with goo goo dolls. down with generally most 90s alt rock to be honest. i made a playlist recently of some goo goo dolls, pearl jam, counting crows and more. it was great.

someone mentioned indian summer... i'd say they are pretty niche but i know a lot of people into that kinda thing who like them. i've been feeling an old emo kick coming on and this has reminded me.

um to be honest, in my spare time i listen to stuff like sean paul and nicki minaj and rihanna which isn't the first choice of a lot of my friends... haha.

michaelcopeland

I always loved Counting Crows, especially their first album. i was never too crazy about Pearl Jam but they have some pretty good tunes.

I never understood why Alkaline Trio gets so much shit, I really like them. Maybe it's just because I've listened to them since I was like 12, but I still listen to them all the time.

Rapture Ready Blowhard

I absolutely adore Pearl Jam.  I used to think they were cartoonishly awful about six or seven years ago, so I learned some of their songs on guitar so I could play them during practice to annoy our singer.  The deeper down that rabbit hole I got the more I realized that I completely unironically love a lot of their music.

skateandannoy

Quote from: ramblinrabble on December 31, 2014, 06:27:32 AM
Chumbawamba.   Nobody can get past Tubthumping and assumes its all they've ever done.
Pictures of Starving Children Sells Records is one of my all time favorites. Fucking love Chumbawamba.

After reading this read, I have to go edit my hate thread post..........
https://deadformat.net/tradelist/anthemforadoomed

Quote from: tinybitsofheart on August 01, 2014, 06:53:17 AM
kinda weird how the earth continues to spin on its axis and everything eventually dies even when you don't want it to dang

dakotafloyd

21 Moreland Ave. NE
Atlanta, GA 30307

CrackyMcCrackerson

NOFX, I'll love this band until the day I die.

BlakeK

Quote from: CrackyMcCrackerson on January 21, 2015, 06:41:10 AM
NOFX, I'll love this band until the day I die.
Agreed. I like most bands that are or were signed to Fat. I haven't listened to any that have signed recently but Fat and Epitaph were killing it in the 90s and early 2000s.