Hockey! on the PIX board.

Started by kw, June 11, 2014, 05:31:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orange

Quote from: ramblinrabble on July 04, 2014, 06:01:41 PM
Can we please put an 'e' in the threads subject title?   Its starting to bother me.

Agreed. Did I do that?
i chose my last signature so anthemforadoomed didn't hold up a TJMaxx.

Drewcifer

No hockey discussion since the season started? man..

Fuck Shero for not drafting forwards.

I love Maatta.

That is all.

jer

There hasn't been much talk of anything on this board to be honest.

I'm happy for November to be almost over. It was a terrible month for Anaheim.
Anti-Creative Records sells some things.
http://www.anti-creative.com

kw

i didn't mind it for florida. 2-1-1 on a road trip that saw us blowout anaheim (hi jer!) lose a close one to LA, beat San Jose handidly, and then come back with 2 goals in 12 seconds in the final minute of the third to salvage a point against Nashville. We're definitely not a basement team and that is perfectly fine for me,

Drewcifer

Bringing this over from the introduction thread

Quote from: ramblinrabble on November 25, 2014, 12:03:14 PM
One of the biggest factors in contract negotiations these days is contracts of comparable players.  You look at recent goalie signings; , Varlamov: 5 years, 5.9 per, Bishop: 2 years at 5.95 per, Lehtonen: 5 years at 5.9 per, Crawford: 6 years at 6 per.  He's had similar statistical numbers to them with, give or take, plus averages more games per season than any of them.  Then on top of that you factor in that Pittsburgh doesn't have any other solid options.  Nobody's really looking to trade a goalie, there aren't any solid free agents now or coming up in the offseason.  Then you factor in that in his previous ten seasons in the NHL, one shortened due to the lockout, one due to injury, he's had at least 30 wins four times, 40 wins two times, and has a Stanley Cup ring, and excluding the lockout shortened season and 2002-2008, hes played in at least 60 games since 2006.  If you've got a logical reason why that's a bad contract, have at it.

Out of that list goalies and where Fleury ranks among them.. IMO

Better than Fleury:
Lehtonen
Varlomov

Slightly better or equal to:
Bishop
Crawford

Fleury will always be a decent regular season netminder, but come playoff time he's a headcase. (see series: Flyers, Islanders)

Even in the regular season this year he's seemed a little shaky, he does stupid things.. he tries to play the puck too much.. this drives me insane..
He doesn't just go out to stop the puck and leave it for his defender, like 90% of the goalies in the league, he tries to make a play with it.. and ends up handcuffing his defensemen by giving them a god awful pass.
OR he'll stand behind the net with the puck and getting in the way of his own defensemen to play the puck..

I honestly feel better watching the games with Griess in net than I do Fleury, he doesn't try to be something he's not and he makes the smart plays.

jer

in what world is he comparable to any of these goalies? his career sv%, probably the best yardstick for basic stats by which to measure a goalie, is .911! That's piss poor. That ranks him 57th of all active NHL goalies. 57th! What the shit?

Even Lehtonen, who i think we can agree is not very good, ranks 43rd. Crawford at 41st.
Varlomov? 30th.
Bishop, 19th.

And this doesn't include his disastrous results put when he's put under real pressure in the playoffs, as these are regular season stats.
It's odd to see you defending him, Patrick, as i don't even see many  Pens fans happy about it. At best I generally see the "it is what it is," sort of what drew is doing.

Also, judging a goalie by "wins" is ridiculous and ignores that this is a team sport. the worst goalie surrounded by an amazing team is going to still get a decent amount of wins. like fleury. individual stats make more sense, and by all individual stats, he's not very good.

ramblinrabble

I was more just going for the closest goalies age/stats/signing date.  That was the closest I got without putting in too much effort.  Sue me.   I'm also not so much defending it, as I am playing devils advocate on it.   I by default hate everything penguins related, and their stupid poop faces.

As far as the fan based hatred is concerned, a lot of Pens fans also see it as "RAGE!!! WE RESIGNED A GOALIE WHO DOESNT PERFORM WELL IN THE PLAYOFFS FOR MORE MONEY THAN WE'D LIKE!! RAGE!!".   Its probably a good thing that they're complaining over that than over "RAGE!!  WE HAVEN'T DRAFTED ANY GOOD GOALIE PROSPECTS IN YEARS AND DIDNT MEET OUR ONLY GOALTENDER'S CONTRACT DEMANDS AND HE SIGNED SOMEWHERE ELSE AND THE FREE AGENT POOL IS USELESS AND NOBODY WANTS TO TRADE US A GOALIE AND NOW OUR TANDEM IS GREISS AND DUBNYK!! RAGE!!!"

The only goaltender they drafted since Fleury was taken first overall to ever really play, and stay, in the NHL was Chad Johnson, who they traded away before he even made it there.  The only prospect they have with any real potential is still playing in the WHL.  It's more on their scouting staff and Shero than anything for the situation they're in.

jer

I don't know if I buy teams not willing to trade goalies. There was so much goalie movement since the trade deadline frenzy, it seems teams are just throwing goalies around all willy nilly.

Drewcifer

I wish we would've traded Fleury in the offseason to a team like Winnipeg, who desperately needs help in that category.. (however it looks like Pavelec is playing pretty well this season.) and signed Hiller.

I think all that Pittsburgh needs in a netminder is a calming presence, when their netminder scrambles, so does the team defense, but when you put a calming goalie there like Vokoun or Griess, they are a much better team in front of them.

ramblinrabble

Quote from: jer on November 25, 2014, 06:48:25 PM
I don't know if I buy teams not willing to trade goalies. There was so much goalie movement since the trade deadline frenzy, it seems teams are just throwing goalies around all willy nilly.

I'm not saying its completely impossible.  Blockbusters happen, minor trades happen that make no sense.  But I try to stay pretty on top of trade rumors and things of the like, and there hasn't been much buzz of anyone trying to move a goalie as of late.  Only options I've heard of being floated around are Cam Ward, who's very meh, Josh Harding, who's good, but has health concerns, Markstrom, who can't seem to transition to the NHL.  Plus, Bryz and Brodeur are still free agents.  Pretty safe to assume that if there were some injury that occurred, GMs would likely go to FA for a temporary fix than force a trade, unless one was already in the works, which, again, doesn't seem to be the case.

jer

Trade rumors are all horseshit, but even if true, you're saying there are trade options available and even some FAs that are marginally better and cheaper than Fleury.

Drewcifer

Bordeur practicing with the blues.. Just retire with dignity Marty!

jer

Yeah, this is just sad. Him in any other sweater is wrong

kw

rabble, january 2nd buffalo v florida, you in?

Drewcifer

Quote from: kw on November 26, 2014, 07:55:42 PM

Tickets to that are what $2? Ha
I'll actually be in Florida on the 2nd, but near Tampa

kw

Quote from: Drewcifer on November 27, 2014, 05:13:17 AM

Tickets to that are what $2? Ha
I'll actually be in Florida on the 2nd, but near Tampa

games in buffalo

Drewcifer

ha well wont be anywhere near there!

ramblinrabble

Provided that there aren't any shitstorms that hit us, should be good for it.

jer

Going to Blackhawks @ Ducks tonight for our annual Black Friday matchup

kw

Quote from: ramblinrabble on November 27, 2014, 07:59:03 PM

Provided that there aren't any shitstorms that hit us, should be good for it.

hit me up on the ol' e-mail. kwcampol at gmail dot com. we can plan it. im gonna be living in st catharines so i will probably bus over to buffalo.

kw

panthers currently tied with leafs for 2nd wild card spot with 2 games in hand. they say thanksgiving is the time where you start to see the playoff picture and whose contending... cool to see the panthers sticking in there so far.

ramblinrabble

Has your phone number changed?   I think I still have it.

kw

if its the 647 one you're all good, shoot me a textie! lets hockey!

Drewcifer

kw