DOCTOR WHO!

Started by AaronTheCabe, September 07, 2014, 05:04:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AaronTheCabe

I think anyone familiar with Peter Calpaldi's performance in The Thick of It and In the Loop (amongst other awesome roles) knew he would be a great doctor  but three episodes in and i am feeling that HE IS MY FAVORITE DOCTOR OH MY GOD!

AND SCOTTISH!

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back breakfast

Phitney

Yay!!! I haven't gotten the chance to see any of the new episodes yet because my computer has been uncooperative. I've heard good things about Capaldi's doctor and I'm super super glad there's no forced weird sexual tension between the doctor and companion.

I need to catch up!!

AaronTheCabe

best thing about this new doctor dynamic, no more sexual tension or possibility thereof. my favorite doctor and companion was always the doctor donna due to them just being mates and the friendship they had i always thought was better, more of a two way street. this season is getting on so well right now i absolutely love it!

in conclusion, ive decided to exorcise all my negative attributes and replace them with parts of Peter Capaldi's Doctor's personality.

Phitney

Dude, Doctor/Donna was THE BEST. I still feel myself start to cry when I think about how that ended. Sad day :( :( :(

I still need to catch up. Ugh. Stupid old computers + shared internet between five people = not good for streaming things.

skateandannoy

Bumping this because I've FINALLY seen every episode and can read this thread, spoiler free. I like Capaldi's performance, he's a great actor, but the writing last season was terrible. It seems like the writers collectively decided "well since he's older now he has to be mean because old people are cranky." He's constantly critical of Clara. But, this season had one of the best episodes of the series as well as one of the worst. The moon one was awful, but the shrinking TARDIS one is excellent. I'm really curious where it's going to go.   
https://deadformat.net/tradelist/anthemforadoomed

Quote from: tinybitsofheart on August 01, 2014, 06:53:17 AM
kinda weird how the earth continues to spin on its axis and everything eventually dies even when you don't want it to dang

Graphix

Quote from: skateandannoy on January 22, 2015, 10:24:12 AM
:: WORDS ::

Yeah, I'm ready for Autumn 2015.
I kind of wish more stations would run the OG Doctor Who episodes more frequently.
Oh well, dreamers can dream eh?

skateandannoy

Quote from: Graphix on January 22, 2015, 05:54:36 PM
:: WORDS ::

Yeah, I'm ready for Autumn 2015.
I kind of wish more stations would run the OG Doctor Who episodes more frequently.
Oh well, dreamers can dream eh?
Haha we've missed you Wes. I agree. I usually watch them on my friend's netflix account though.

kinda weird how the earth continues to spin on its axis and everything eventually dies even when you don't want it to dang

AaronTheCabe

Bumping this because I've FINALLY seen every episode and can read this thread, spoiler free. I like Capaldi's performance, he's a great actor, but the writing last season was terrible. It seems like the writers collectively decided "well since he's older now he has to be mean because old people are cranky." He's constantly critical of Clara. But, this season had one of the best episodes of the series as well as one of the worst. The moon one was awful, but the shrinking TARDIS one is excellent. I'm really curious where it's going to go.   

ya its upsetting that this season's writing was a bit underpar when they had such an awesome actor to work with. he's still my fav. doctor by far, then 9th, 4th, 10th, 11th, 2nd (i haven't seen the others)

Gelka

Id really like to see a male companion who isnt a plus 1 like Rory mostly was, cut out all the Doctor/Companion fluff.

AaronTheCabe

Quote from: Gelka on March 06, 2015, 06:34:42 AM
Id really like to see a male companion who isnt a plus 1 like Rory mostly was, cut out all the Doctor/Companion fluff.

strangest bot ever

skateandannoy

Bump because September 19th is just around the corner. Trailers for the new season look goooood.

skateandannoy

This season is excellent. One of my favorites. They addressed every complaint I had last season. I'm so happy at how hard they're killing it.

AaronTheCabe

Quote from: skateandannoy on October 24, 2015, 07:43:24 PM
This season is excellent. One of my favorites. They addressed every complaint I had last season. I'm so happy at how hard they're killing it.

what complaints did you have? I feel this season is better too but can't quite pin my finger on why, except the building of new doctor's character is already accomplished.
Man I love how the Missy/Master character, also a great actress from excellent British comedies such as Book Group and Greenwing [if you haven't seen Greenwing, watch it now!!]
the going back to Doctor/master friendship as oldest and best friends, missy doing evil as a present rather than just trying to kill him as the last master, it creates a tension and chemistry that is just wonderful. I like how they are taking Clara but it saddens me. Its Doctor/Donna all over again, except i suspect this one to end ever sadder. ....the way they built her up from last season where she multiple times acts as the doctor when he is indisposed, then this season her lack of fear and the doctor saying there doesn't need to be another him on the Tardis...and finally referencing Captain Jack in most recent episode and kinda bringing back the philosophy of the doctor and his leaving people behind/consequences...

its gonna be a great season. Calpadi is still my all time favorite from the moment he stepped out of the blue box. I knew he would pull it off, glad he isn't the Malcolmb Tucker of The Thick of It doctor, which i originally wanted to be honest.

skateandannoy

Last season I had a lot of issues with the writing. The solution to a lot of the episodes was a deus ex machina/ chance of luck which I don't mind from time to time but it felt weird that it happened a lot in season 8. There were almost no two part episodes which bummed me out because those tend to be some of the best of each season. I think Kill the Moon is maybe the worst episode of the series since the reboot began, but it is up against Love and Monsters which is a pretty heavy contender (that said, Flatline is one of the best so props there to S8). Since Jenna Coleman/ Clara's first episode with The Dalek Asylum we've been told Clara is really smart, and she's bossy and all these things to give personality to her character. Which we see in her half season with the 12th Doctor, but when he regenerates it seems like the writers loose interest in her character. The Doctor says she's bossy but she never does anything. All of her development for the season comes from her being a liar. She doesn't really do anything smart or bossy (save Flatline). I was underwhelmed by that.

Lastly, I didn't care for how they went about characterizing Capaldi's Doctor. I think he's a phenomenal actor and he did well in the role, but it seemed like they didn't give him much to work with. He looses all semblance of a personality other than: cranky. It didn't make any sense (to me anyway) that he's just mean all season. Like they decided "you're older now so you have to be a mean old man." All of the writing just felt lazy to me at every turn. This season is one of my favorites though so far. They made him a more rounded character again, Clara is back to normal, their friendship is back to normal. I'm stoked this season.