Pet peeves thread

Started by ramblinrabble, July 31, 2014, 01:56:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramblinrabble

momitsnowme

Quote from: lindsey on March 10, 2015, 06:33:34 PM
along those same lines, i hate when people leave "to be" out of descriptions of things that needs to be done, like when they say "this needs folded" instead of "this needs to be folded". what IS that??

That is one of my mom's pet peeves so now it bothers me too!

Anna Karina

Really not understanding that pet peeve. "This needs folded" is perfectly fine as is.

jer

"this needs folding" is fine. "this needs folded" is idiotic.
Anti-Creative Records sells some things.
http://www.anti-creative.com

AaronTheCabe

All joking aside, i'm surprised at all the prescriptivist doctrine in relation to Lindsey's pet peeve, its a very, very conservative train of thought in linguistics today. Jer, and i am no way saying your comment directly says this, but it implies the same mindset that people who think African American dialect isn't real and comes from lack of intelligence (less racist prescriptivist would say lack of education). I'm not saying your any of those things, only it surprises me as in this very minute example you are leaning toward the ideology of that camp. i just wouldn't expect it is all I mean
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back breakfast

jer

oh jeez. there's a world of difference between the evolution of language and dialiect and this particular pet peeve of lindsey's.

unless you're arguing something like, oh, i don't know... doge-speak should be taken as seriously as "African-American dialect."

Which it shouldn't be, and is kind of insulting.

jeffjeffington

One Of My Pet Peeves Is When Someone Is Lighting A Gas Range Stove And Leaves It On The Ignite. That Whole Tick Tick Tick Thing Gets Annoying.

AaronTheCabe

Quote from: jer on March 11, 2015, 01:49:25 PM
oh jeez. there's a world of difference between the evolution of language and dialiect and this particular pet peeve of lindsey's.

unless you're arguing something like, oh, i don't know... doge-speak should be taken as seriously as "African-American dialect."

well i don't know about california but there's a whole lot fucking people in the south who talk like that and its insulting to say its idiotic. period.

but instead of going about like i was using the juxtaposition to make a point. i obviously don't need to explain that and yes doge - speak, any speak that large groups of people use and understand that is not official is a dialectal form and fucking is the same as African American vernacular

sorry i'm getting angry and it was just pet peeve and none of this matters

Anna Karina

Quote from: jer on March 11, 2015, 09:32:19 AM
"this needs folding" is fine. "this needs folded" is idiotic.
Both sentences are fine.

jer

Quote from: AaronTheCabe on March 11, 2015, 02:40:49 PM
Quote from: jer on March 11, 2015, 01:49:25 PM

well i don't know about california but there's a whole lot fucking people in the south who talk like that and its insulting to say its idiotic. period.

but instead of going about like i was using the juxtaposition to make a point. i obviously don't need to explain that and yes doge - speak, any speak that large groups of people use and understand that is not official is a dialectal form and fucking is the same as African American vernacular

sorry i'm getting angry and it was just pet peeve and none of this matters

Yeah, okay I'm bowing out if we're comparing doge to the way southerners or anyone else speaks. Christ.

AaronTheCabe

on googling doge to find out what group of people you were referring to that are so bad i discovered it a meme, so no i am not comparing a meme to dialect.

you wrote that saying something aforementioned phrase was idiotic. as far as people speaking like that, it is not and why i got pissed and if you still think like taht i stand by what i said

if you were specifically quoting a meme and calling that idiotic, then there has been a massive miscommunication due to my lacking of internet memes and such

edit: when i wrote, doge yes in the previous comment i was honestly ignorant of the term and made the assumption it was some sort group of people as people are the ones who generally use language. of course, i forgot how the internet has changed everything

second edit: now that i went back and saw no one mentioned a meme before i m not sure why you even mentioned it when we were talking about people and how people talk.

jer

i brought it up to point out that not every twist of language should be taken seriously. while i get that writing off any dialect that isn't "proper" enough for you is problematic, that doesn't mean that any use of language should be revered as some sort of serious dialect.

"this needs folded" is not part of some southern or african-american dialect pattern.

AaronTheCabe

Quote from: jer on March 11, 2015, 04:26:58 PM
i brought it up to point out that not every twist of language should be taken seriously. while i get that writing off any dialect that isn't "proper" enough for you is problematic, that doesn't mean that any use of language should be revered as some sort of serious dialect.

"this needs folded" is not part of some southern or african-american dialect pattern.

my point, whether if it is or isn't, is that it could be because language is a flexible ever growing and ever changing organism, and how do we know that no one speaks that way somewhere in the country where it has become the norm? we don't and therefore making assumptions like you did, going back to my first post, is prescriptivist thinking and in the linguist world is often associated with conservativism and bigotry and other similar lines of thought. thats all i was saying. you can't say any language is idiotic  because it simply isn't if its understood. now gobbledegook is idiotic. the gabberwocky is idiotic language, James Joyce's made up words were a fictional dialect.  think about that comparison and i think youll see my point of view, even if you don't agree

jer

but by your line of thought, doge-speak is in fact to be taken seriously because of its wide use and it being understood by many. but you're not going to convince many people that it's not idiotic.

AaronTheCabe

probably not but majority linguist agree with me. i was simply, finally, getting to put my minor in applied linguistics to use and maybe i shouldn't assume people are as familiar with linguistic theory as i am, thought i tried to express how i wasn't saying you were any of those things. i'm just trying to say what linguist think and it blew up and seemed like you were insulting my intelligence and you considered my line of thought as pathetic and insultive when nearly all of academia linguist think like i do on the matter (as i learned it from them)

edit: quick example, lets say hypoethtically doge speak just kept growing more and more cause people loved it and continued to grow for 100 years. by the end of that 100 years the very idea of it being doge speak would be forgotten and inane, it would simply be what t is. in essence, and simplified, *this is how all slang/dialect/ colloquial dialect is born*

jer

I'm not trying to insult you and i agree with the underlying point you are making it, i'm just saying you're applying it too broadly if you're including any single twist in language as a serious, newly established dialect.

jer

i didn't see the edit before i replied -- but to quickly address it --I don't think the assumption that every single language quirk will eventually evolve to the accepted standard is a valuable assumption to make any time you see or hear something.

AaronTheCabe

Quote from: jer on March 11, 2015, 04:49:25 PM
i didn't see the edit before i replied -- but to quickly address it --I don't think the assumption that every single language quirk will eventually evolve to the accepted standard is a valuable assumption to make any time you see or hear something.

for gods sake i don't! i was making a comment on how its not idiotic ***FOR PEOPLE**** that all, not htat the phrase itself could be a dialect. that PEOPLE USING IT is not idiotic.   cause i had never heard of fucking doge meme .  iwas never talking about doge for fucks sake!

jer

i think you might be taking my point, and certainly my tone differently than i am intending. I am not attempting to speak down to you, or call you out on defending doge-speak, as i don't think that's what you're doing. i know you were not speaking to doge, but i am specifically using it as an illustrative example because of it's own self-aware absurdity.

jer

it appears you're taking offense when there is none at all intended on my part, so i'm sorry if it's reading that way.

(note: i have to walk away from a computer for the rest of the night, but please don't take that as me abandoning the conversation or being upset with you)

AaronTheCabe

you're probably right i'm very tired and probably overreacting and misunderstanding some things. its all good, sorry fpr the anger. i don't know why i got all angry and stuff. gonna chill watch some british comedy and go to bed (5 am wake up for work ) g'night

lindsey

uhhh i just meant like on a personal level it sounds wonky to me, not like oh hey i'm a superior person because i know the right and true Proper English College Educated way to speak. As someone who is always quick to step in when people talk down to anyone with a Southern accent/dialect AND someone who's personal speech patterns/dialect/vernacular is condescended to on a regular basis (just like i'm pretty sure probably everyone woman on this board/in our generation has been annoyingly called a valley girl) that is definitely not what I meant. It's just like how i hate the word "toothbrushes" because it sounds weird...teethbrush? Anyway, just wanted to clear that up.

BagginSagginBrian

When people give the wrong information, realize it then say "oh I lied, it's really this"

Apparently giving the notion you're untrustworthy is better than being wrong?

skateandannoy

Quote from: jeffjeffington on March 11, 2015, 02:25:03 PM
One Of My Pet Peeves Is When Someone Is Lighting A Gas Range Stove And Leaves It On The Ignite. That Whole Tick Tick Tick Thing Gets Annoying.
Writing Every Word With A Capital Letter.

8)
https://deadformat.net/tradelist/anthemforadoomed

Quote from: tinybitsofheart on August 01, 2014, 06:53:17 AM
kinda weird how the earth continues to spin on its axis and everything eventually dies even when you don't want it to dang

BagginSagginBrian

My phone wants to do that sometimes.