Pet peeves thread

Started by ramblinrabble, July 31, 2014, 01:56:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skateandannoy

Quote from: jer on August 08, 2014, 01:04:14 PM
i don't need no rules to walk the Earth.
No gods, no earth.
https://deadformat.net/tradelist/anthemforadoomed

Quote from: tinybitsofheart on August 01, 2014, 06:53:17 AM
kinda weird how the earth continues to spin on its axis and everything eventually dies even when you don't want it to dang

michaelcopeland

I bite my nails in public but only when I'm uncomfortable or nervous (which is almost always).

I really hate it when people say the word "expecially" instead of especially.

ramblinrabble

That can really be applied to any word that begins with esp.  Expresso is the most annoying thing to hear.

lindsey

this is probs a dumb question but as a noob to the office life, would it be insane and totally unacceptable to PAINT your nails at your desk??

I DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT OFFICE DECORUM

rory

Nail polish can be pretty toxic smelling in a small space without windows that open. I guess it kind of depends how your office is / how close you are in proximity to other people / if you are really supposed to be actually doing something at that moment.
Quote from: Winged Killick
I'm an anarchist, but I'm not going to drive ninety-five miles an hour down the road tossing illegal, invasive species of snakes from my car while texting and fraudulently doing my taxes.

jer

what rory said. presumably you are in a cubicle environment and don't have a room all to yourself, and you'd be a jerk for doing it in that situation.

but if you do have your own office, ignore what i said. do whatever you want in there.
Anti-Creative Records sells some things.
http://www.anti-creative.com

lindsey

yeeah I'm in a pretty spacious cubicle but definitely NOT my own office. I realized that was probably a hella dumb question. OFFICE NOOB

Anna Karina

What next, clipping your nails? COME ON!

jer

michaelcopeland

When people ask to try on my glasses. Its not socially acceptable to try out someone's hearing aid and say "woah, you really are deaf!" Why is this any different?

rory

Quote from: michaelcopeland on October 14, 2014, 04:26:34 PM
When people ask to try on my glasses. Its not socially acceptable to try out someone's hearing aid and say "woah, you really are deaf!" Why is this any different?

I am this asshole, and I will stop being this asshole.
Quote from: Winged Killick
I'm an anarchist, but I'm not going to drive ninety-five miles an hour down the road tossing illegal, invasive species of snakes from my car while texting and fraudulently doing my taxes.

jer

i wear glasses, but that hasn't happened to me very often. it hasn't bothered me when it did happen, but maybe it would if it was more common.

michaelcopeland

It probably doesn't bother most people. I just feel naked without my glasses and I'm not too comfortable taking them off in front of people.

amanda

Quote from: jer on October 14, 2014, 04:01:22 PM
microwaving fish.

There was a guy in my office who would cook salmon from raw in our office microwave.  Not in the lunchroom microwave, where it would have been slightly less inappropriate, but in our tiny, stuffy office where none of the windows open.  He got fired for unrelated reasons a couple weeks ago and, while the circumstances of his firing really sucked, I'm so glad I don't have to deal with his rude fish fumes anymore.

Anna Karina

Rude Fish Fumes is my favorite ska band.

Joe

I'm finding a recent pet-peeve with words that have no reason to exist except for peoples desire to create artificial buzzwords or weird urls, like Explainer, Complexity, or Givelify.

EDIT: Complexity might be a normal word in most situations, but I just saw an article for someone creating a Complexity Institute, and it seems weird.  I hear George W. Bush and his Decider voice when I see these words.  "I oughta send Ol' Brownie down to that School for Complexity Studies and giv'em a couple two or three Explainers on how to Givelify their shopping habits...  then we'll grab some sweet, sweet brekkie."

RankResistance

Quote from: lindsey on October 14, 2014, 08:24:10 AM
this is probs a dumb question but as a noob to the office life, would it be insane and totally unacceptable to PAINT your nails at your desk??

I don't know if it's a violation of decorum per se, but if it's crowded, I would hold off. As a teacher, I've had to straight-up go off on students for either using nail polish or spraying disgusting cologne in my room. I have asthma and it has triggered an attack more than once when I had forgotten my inhaler, but more importantly, I've had it trigger a seizure in a student in the middle of class. I have to make a huge deal out of it, but can't explicitly come out and say "Because so-and-so might have a seizure around flashing lights or strong smells". Not that any student there would care, because they are monsters.

jer

Quote from: RankResistance on October 24, 2014, 05:17:17 AM
Not that any student there would care, because they are monsters.

"let's see if we can make so-and-so have a seizure again!" *spritz* *spritz* *spritz*

RankResistance

Quote from: jer on October 24, 2014, 09:05:06 AM
Quote from: RankResistance on October 24, 2014, 05:17:17 AM
Not that any student there would care, because they are monsters.

"let's see if we can make so-and-so have a seizure again!" *spritz* *spritz* *spritz*

I had an asthma attack after one of them decided to take a bath in Axe body spray, and judging from the laughter in the room, you'll see me on the Tonight Show shortly.

AaronTheCabe

people talking about their pet peeves
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back breakfast

AaronTheCabe

i'm so fucking meta aren't I?

people who mention being meta, while i'm at it
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back breakfast

BagginSagginBrian

When people ask "Can I ask you a question?"

ramblinrabble

When people say "I feel badly.."  If this truly is the case, you should see a doctor

lindsey

michaelcopeland

People who don't get it in general