The PIX Tabletop games thread

Started by Semi, July 20, 2014, 02:44:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Semi

This is the Official PIX Tabletop games thread™ where we discuss tabletop games, including bothl pen and paper adventure RPGs and more typical games like Settlers of Catan or Ticket to Ride.

What are your favourite games?
Are you actively playing any games with a group of people?
Have you bought a new game recently?
Are you looking for reccomendations or tips?

I am at the moment planning a campaign of Dungeon World which I am going to DM (something I haven't done before) and it's going really well. I love the system, it's probably the most fun I've had with an RPG in a long time. Other than that I play a lot of Settlers since a friend recently got an expansion pack, classic but amazing game.
I play accordian/guitar and sing together with my girlfriend who plays ukulele in our band Lagom, we sing songs about the internal contradictions of capital and watching Rupauls Dragrace.

Nate Rainey

I was mostly into Shadowrun and 3rd ed World of Darkness.
Haven't played in years, but I'm still sifting through all the fiction we essentially created by taking part in those runs. Lots of good stories to tell in comic book form.
I think the last book I bought was Victorian Age Vampire, and we never even played it, because most of the group were pretending to be adults by then.
Signature get.

Anna Karina

One time I lost at Cards Against Humanity or whatever because the person didn't pick my answer.

The question was:
QuoteOld people smell like _______,

and my answer was:
QuoteOld people smell like what old people smell like.

Still pissed that wasn't chosen.

Semi

Cards against Humanity is a really bad game IMO, you get funny situations like the one you described like once every game you play, but most of the time it just feels like a waste of time unless you're 14 years old and living in a garage.
I play accordian/guitar and sing together with my girlfriend who plays ukulele in our band Lagom, we sing songs about the internal contradictions of capital and watching Rupauls Dragrace.

jer

how dare people have fun the way they want to.
Anti-Creative Records sells some things.
http://www.anti-creative.com

rory

Cards Against Humanity is fun if you're in a group of people who you trust to be clever and odd, rather than just trying to say the most offensive thing possible, which is really easy to accomplish in that game. I pretty much will only play it with my closest friends, because otherwise it easily becomes totally atrocious.

I played a lot of Star Trek Catan this last winter, and I'd like to get back into it. I shirked getting involved in table top games for a long time (trying to ignore my past of Magic The Gathering, Pokemon, and Mage Knights) but that game is really fun and goes at a good pace.
Quote from: Winged Killick
I'm an anarchist, but I'm not going to drive ninety-five miles an hour down the road tossing illegal, invasive species of snakes from my car while texting and fraudulently doing my taxes.

Semi

Quote from: jer on July 21, 2014, 09:28:20 AM
how dare people have fun the way they want to.

The issue isn't that people are having fun, the issue is that I'm not hehe.

Semi

Didn't know Star Trek Catan was a thing, sounds really cool. Sounds kind of like Imperialism in Space which is a game based on the book Imperialism by Lenin. In space.

It's a pretty bad book (as compared to more recent studies on Imperialism like Empire by Hardt and Negri) but the board game looks pretty fun.

http://imperialisminspace.wordpress.com/

lindsey

i've only played cards against humanity once but it was really fun and hilarious? we just pulled out and set aside the most offensive cards

i was in a pathfinder campaign where everyone but the DM was a novice, it was really fun and less intimidating that i was expecting since everyone was new... i wasn't really very good at creating a well rounded character though. i got really into listening to everyone else and then when it was my turn i was kind of like a deer in the headlights. i eventually got comfortable enough to make somewhat of a contribution though. unfortunately the game kind of fell apart after a few months because schedules got too hard to coordinate, but we're hoping to get back together in the fall maybe.

otherwise, we have random game nights where we play catan, or apples to apples/cards against humanity, and a crowd favorite is this game called dixit - has anyone else played it? we're looking to get the expansion but it's super pricey :(

dakotafloyd

Has anyone here ever played Munchkin?  I played it for the first time a couple years ago, and it was so much fun!  Still need to get around to buying it myself, though.
21 Moreland Ave. NE
Atlanta, GA 30307

Semi

Pathfinder is pretty fun although daunting, you should try Dungeon World if you liked Pathfinder but disliked the really strict kind of min/maxing attitude that the game demands.

Munchkin is awesome, especially when you play a version you haven't played before.

bee

i'm trying to get someone to play something (anything) with me right now but everyone is busy or in bed. ugh

i've been looking at the website of my local board game cafe and now i just really wanna play.

avivatigerlily

D&D/pen and papers aside (which I had a topic going for), I've been trying to play tabletop games more seriously over the past year, which is helped by being in NYC where we can go to The Uncommons and just pull games off the shelf for $5 a person for as long as you want (we had a regular trans punk Sunday noon crew for a few months) and just having a couple friends with good collections has helped and generally just not feeling like I'm pulling the teeth out of the heads of people I probably shouldn't have been playing games with in the first place.

I guess I'll go with my biggest disappointment for right now: Zombies!!!. I bought this for a friend of mine over the holidays after a number of my friends (who are not particularly serious game enthusiasts) had recommended it.

It's a modular board game that expands every turn (regardless of movement, which I think is it's biggest problem because the end point can spawn potentially any number of turns away), zombies get placed based on a dice roll or on on-card instructions, players move (only 1-6 spaces, another problem).

You only have three life and three bullets - the life are a given, the bullets give you a re-roll (ANOTHER problem when a a 3x3 card can have, theoretically, 9 zombies on it and you only have a 50% chance of killing a zombie).

The card management is a fucking joke since you can only have three cards and they don't really do much.

God, it's fun in theory - I like the idea of having an amassing stable of enemies but it's far too easy to die, you move too slow, and there isn't a way to strategize either teamwork OR going it alone or finding a quieter path.

I have a lot of Zombies!!! feelings, sorry.