Deja vu?

Started by failure, January 11, 2019, 04:24:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

failure

Hello all! I doubt any of you remember me from the old PIX days but I was a long time lurker/poster (although I didn't post often). In case I need proof, jer and becca met at Fest 7. Or was it 6?  And remember that one dude that took kylewilliam's song and claimed it as his own?

I have lots of fond memories of the board, PIX (and PIX Fest), the Fest, and localish shows. I was kind of in a weird spot... I lived in a remote town in Eastern Washington and had no one to talk to about music. The closest shows for me were 3 hours away in Seattle or Spokane. To this day I don't think I have any friends that listen to the likes of Paul Baribeau or Matty Pop Chart although some like Kimya Dawson because of Juno. The board was a nice place to discover some great music that I still listen to regularly. I went to a total of 6 Fests but haven't been in like 3 years I think? God I love it there but I'm too old and poor that anymore. :/

Anyways, I know this place is pretty much dead but I'm glad I found it. It was nice to get a little nostalgic and look at some threads.

P.S. I'm total out of the loop and had no idea about the whole Chris Clavin thing!

P.P.S. I recognize jer, becca, lindsey, brett (AnnaKarina), kw (are you still making music? I sure hope so!) but I think some others have changed usernames? Is Ian still around? Vagroaches? The Asian dude from Austin with the badass lightning bug in a jar tattoo? Nate Rainey? Tague?

Joe

was it Peter with the lightning bug tattoo?  Haven't seen him, Vagroaches, or Ian in a long while.  Tague still posts, haven't seen Rainey in a long while, but I think he stuck around longer that the others.

I used to lurk as Dreamy.

Joe

Haha, I just remembered PIX had the Champagne Room, lol.

Joe

A lot of the musicians are still playing music, too.  Some folks from The Door-Keys and Future Virgins released an album in 2018 under the band name Evening Standards. https://letspretendrecords1.bandcamp.com/album/evening-standards-s-t

Maybe we could hire a bounty hunter to track down all the old bands.

failure

Oh yeah the Champagne Room! Was that the semi-locked area with links for downloads and stuff that you had have a certain amount of points/reps to go into?

Yes I believe his name was Peter! I never really interacted with him much but I've always loved that tattoo.

I toured with Russ Substance in 2006 (and by tour I mean he asked me to drive him around for 3-4 weeks for his US tour until he ditched me in Texas to go hang out with a girl in California). I was able to meet a few folks from the way old boards and some cool band members. Got to stay at a house in Berkeley for like 4 days with Ryan Harvey and Mark Gunnery which was cool. Stayed with Michael Throwaways in Van Nuys. Hung out with some of the folks from Defiance, OH for a day. Some amazing memories that have came flooding back since reading this board!

I still follow some of the bands... mostly No Idea or bands that would play the Fest. Matt Tobey recently released something too that I've been meaning to check out.

Courtney

I think Peter just moved to LA? Idk, we're friends on facebook and whatnot. He's doing big thangs as an artist.

Last week I met up with an old PIX regular who was visiting Florida. Never would have thought at 16 that I'd still be hanging with people from this message board at 30.

dakotafloyd

I never knew Peter super well, but we follow each other on the internet.  Seems like they're doing well with art stuff!

If anyone is interested, a lot of the older Bloomington crew is still playing music.  A bunch of it is being put out by Let's Pretend Records in Bton.  There's also a really cool tape label based out of Chattanooga called Lifer Tapes that's been putting out stuff from Riversedge, Basement Benders, Mixed Signals, and The Bananas.  Those first three are ex-This Bike, Future Virgins, other PIX South bands.
21 Moreland Ave. NE
Atlanta, GA 30307