Being a recovering addict can be embarrassing

Started by BlakeK, May 18, 2018, 05:37:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlakeK

I was going to post this on FB but reasons I can't or rather won't relate to why I'm making this post. I went to a dentist and oral surgeon today and both places offered me narcotic painkillers and both times I had to explain why I can't take them. I'm initially met with confusion and then "the look". It's a very judgmental look followed by shortness and sometimes by suppressed disgust. I really hate it. That's all.
Quote from: BlakeK on March 09, 2017, 06:59:37 PM
Having said that, I'd rather listen to Papa Roach than GG Allin

thetrashisright

God forbid you take measures to recover, they should be proud if they actually stigmatize addiction that much. People are hypocritical pieces of shit sometimes.

momitsnowme

How frustrating. I'm sorry. You would think people would be happy you are honest and recovering instead of just taking the meds. Hope your mouth is feeling alright.

Joe

Blake, I have PTSD and I have found that Todd Whitlock's dentist office has been the most empathetic office I've ever dealt with.  One of the questions on their intake forms allowed for making a personal statement on what might help them serve you better as a patient, and that's where I mentioned some stuff about my experiences.   The dentist acknowledged my concerns without judgement or prying.  If your insurance covers them, they might be a good fit for you.

BlakeK

Quote from: Joe on May 21, 2018, 04:32:39 AM
Blake, I have PTSD and I have found that Todd Whitlock's dentist office has been the most empathetic office I've ever dealt with.  One of the questions on their intake forms allowed for making a personal statement on what might help them serve you better as a patient, and that's where I mentioned some stuff about my experiences.   The dentist acknowledged my concerns without judgement or prying.  If your insurance covers them, they might be a good fit for you.
Thanks Joe. I'm sure he is covered. I don't have many restrictions on who I use. I would have to call him and get prices since my insurance only covers so much.

I don't know what the deal is but I have found dentists (I've seen 4 over the past 3 years including oral surgeons) seem extremely judgmental. It's really strange.

Thanks for the support guys!
Quote from: BlakeK on March 09, 2017, 06:59:37 PM
Having said that, I'd rather listen to Papa Roach than GG Allin

Joe

I have found the same, Blake, you aren't alone in that.  I've had the same with doctors, too, and I still haven't found a good match.