A potentially fun Beatles thing

Started by pronetoaccidents, December 03, 2016, 04:01:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pronetoaccidents

So this thing was gettin some serious back and forth action going on a buddies facebook.

It said to rate the members as a Beatle, solo albums and as humans.

Here's a sample exmple:

As Beatles :
Paul > George > John > Ringo
Solo albums :
George > Paul > John > Ringo
As Humans :
George > Paul > Ringo > John

So overall :
George > Paul > John > Ringo

I have a tendency to elborate. Here was my insightful contribution..
Beatles.. 1) John  (call me cliche but working class hero, god, mother? And those were only after his tenure in the world's best band). He was punk rock and dressed as a teddy boy (english greaser) , knocking back speed pills with the beer he got paid in to play a dive  pubs in a subterranean liverpool. He knew love and its cruel bedfellow loss (we all do but some cant cope as efficiently) and wrote the more acidic,sardonic, pummeling musically and vocally songs in the repetoire. Accentuated the more wholesome flawless mccartney pop song, who for his part chipped away some of the edges off johns and brought to focus the jagged edges and damaged ferocity seething below perfect, PERFECT pop songs.He wanted to stay in bed for days and fuck and say fuck the man so him and yoko did so. He wandered the east village when it was dirty and dangerous and got hooked on and subsequently quit smack cold turkey. He would have loved rap, I imagine earliest afrika bimbata to public enemy. He wrote imagine. Actually if I'm using that I could say he wrote (insert any song of his here? His progression was continuous. Whether it was taking acid and laying a vague blue print for anti-folk (well that's what a lot of rubber soul sounds like to me,) or incorporating innovative new psychology methods at the time, primal screaming, which disemboweled a song, leaving a putrid, beautiful, gory mess on the somber ground below. He howled for his mother. Didn't believe or want Jesus Christ to save him even if he was real. He died the same day as Darby crash. Punk
(Fav solo- John Lennon and plastic ono band?

2) George- flawless guitar shreddage. Even his open chords were "face melters". I could attempt to play a simple D chord everyday until i die and never perfectly match his, its as if he transcended music, learned it in a language format and speaks it all seraphim-esque. His fingers, as if a spider, spun around the neck crafting a beautiful web sweet from morning due and honeysuckle.. here comes the sun? Blackbird? Norwegian wood? And your bird can sing? Yes, i could go on.Went from these ballads and soul transmitter radio frquency tracks to fucking rippers..helter skelter sounds like proto-metal to me with it's thunderous assault and like always, with every song and this is key to why hes one of my favorite guitarists.. just enough notes at just the right time. Never excessive shredding just for the fuck of it to show he can (and indeed he can. For example see the guitar solo at the end of The Taxman) and get some muff, but hes also never too subdued. It helps to listen with headphones. Precise, biting little riffs stringing chords together. And I want you (she's so heavy)? On the second half thats proto-stoner metal/doom with that haunting riff drenched and deep fried in lysergic acid, pummeling onward, like the dead forever walking because they cant except death and dunno what else to do. Black cats crossing paths and strutting down a highway length piano with black lava keys. As you can see it makes me think, dream, have visions. it's rare notes on an axe resonate and are equally if not more catchy than some lyrical vocal patterns but the man's responsible for tracks I've had stuck in my head about 28 years
(Fav solo- all things must pass)

3) Paul- a tremendous presence and embodiment of the more saccharine elements/poppier sentiments, was perfect for sparring musically with Lennon. While I used to be frustrated by them signing lennon/McCartney for every fucking song,  now I see the reason. The combination is a separate entity from its collected counter parts. The visceral and turbulent songs wouldn't have the same attention demanding and awe inducing effect if not layered between songs that are the musical embodiment of beauty..Venus de Milo, Joan of arcs strength at the stake, liberation from the death camps of the 40s and the castrating,crippling, clausthobic paranoid 50s, or, hell, I'll let the Beatles speak for themselves, songs about wanting to hold your hand".
(Fav solo- ramm)
4) ringo- ha, fuckkkiin ringo. Pitifully easy cheap shots aside the man did his job. Held a perfect beat, through in sparse and seldom yet memorable and awesome fills. Also I haven't been able to get yellow submarine or octopuses garden out of my head for almost 28 years
Though lovers be lost love shall not.

BlakeK

As Beatles:

John > Paul > George > Ringo

Solo Albums:

John > George >  Paul > Ringo

As humans:

George > Ringo > Paul > John

Overall: George > Ringo > John > Paul

***Revised after more information was given and researched.
Quote from: BlakeK on March 09, 2017, 06:59:37 PM
Having said that, I'd rather listen to Papa Roach than GG Allin

amanda

1. George Harrison because his sister gave my quiz bowl team money to go to National's with.
2. Ringo Starr because he was on Shining Time Station. Also, he was the funniest in Help!
3. Paul McCartney because he was slightly less of a wife beater than John Lennon.
4. Goddamn I really hate John Lennon.

In case you can't tell, I'm mostly meh on the Beatles. I like their dumb weird movies better than their actual music.

BlakeK

Quote from: amanda on December 05, 2016, 07:53:49 PM
1. George Harrison because his sister gave my quiz bowl team money to go to National's with.
2. Ringo Starr because he was on Shining Time Station. Also, he was the funniest in Help!
3. Paul McCartney because he was slightly less of a wife beater than John Lennon.
4. Goddamn I really hate John Lennon.

In case you can't tell, I'm mostly meh on the Beatles. I like their dumb weird movies better than their actual music.
Whoa. I didn't know John Lennon beat his wife (wives?). That changes everything on my list.

I just researched it and apparently he was also emotionally abusive to his son. He moves way down the list. I took a course on the Beatles and was never told about John's dark side. No wonder Mark David Chapman thought he was a phony.
Quote from: BlakeK on March 09, 2017, 06:59:37 PM
Having said that, I'd rather listen to Papa Roach than GG Allin

jer

Yeah John was a shit dude.

Songwriting-wise he's clearly the best Beatle.
Anti-Creative Records sells some things.
http://www.anti-creative.com

pronetoaccidents

Quote from: ian on January 09, 2017, 10:17:45 PM
paul, all

as far as his solo stuff the only thing that caught my ear was RAM. got any recommendations?
Though lovers be lost love shall not.

lindsey

HEY IAN!