what i learned from comic books

Started by pronetoaccidents, October 17, 2016, 08:44:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amanda

I think that the traditional comic world is still incredibly male-run.  Most of the women in comics that I really love either do standalone graphic novels/memoirs or webcomics. 

If you're looking for more traditional comics where women are involved, Kelly Sue Deconnick has several great comics.  Bitch Planet, her runs of Captain Marvel, and Pretty Deadly are all amazing.  Lumberjanes was created by and I believe has always been written and drawn by women.   Fiona Staples (from Saga) has been drawing some of the new Archie stuff.   If you haven't read/aren't reading Saga, do it.  Emma Rios is another artist who always turns out amazing work.  Unbeatable Squirrel Girl is drawn by a woman.

As standalone graphic novels, comic collections, or women who create webcomics, I am a big fan of:
Tomboy by Liz Prince/Liz Prince just in general
My Dirty Dumb Eyes by Lisa Hanawalt
Everything Julia Wertz has ever done
Kate Leth
Nimona by Noelle Stevenson
I Think I'm in Friend Love with You by Yumi Sakagawa
All of Marjane Satrapi's work
Rent Girl by Michelle Tea
Alison Bechdel
Through the Woods by Emily Carroll
All of Sophie Campbell's work (she is trans and most of her work is under the first name Ross)
Kate Beaton
Jess Fink

I have Jillian Tamaki, Maggie Thrash, and the series Lady Killer on my to read list.

Also, I hate Alan Moore because of how often he relies on rape and extreme brutality to women as a storytelling device.

pronetoaccidents

Yes, traditional mainstream is man dominated but underground is more diverse than ever
Though lovers be lost love shall not.

pronetoaccidents

And Alan Moore is a genius but he's also insane. Read his repotoire and you'll see. There's a method behind the madness.  Try swamp thing, from hell, c for vendetta.. great works of true literature. You don't hear his name dropped everywhere for nothing

skateandannoy

Quote from: amanda on November 01, 2016, 01:17:13 PM

Persepolis is amazing. The animated film based on it is incredible as well. So beautiful.
https://deadformat.net/tradelist/anthemforadoomed

Quote from: tinybitsofheart on August 01, 2014, 06:53:17 AM
kinda weird how the earth continues to spin on its axis and everything eventually dies even when you don't want it to dang

pronetoaccidents

Anybody like the old 50s, CRIME comics with the most rowdy fucking covers? They were so brutal they led, (along with every EC and the knockoffs) to get the dominoes falling for the American comics code sealed that fucked with them.

Anyway I'm just asking cuz they rule and I've been writing a lot, noir shit, so it helps)

pronetoaccidents

pronetoaccidents

Anyone make their own? I'm more of a writer but I love the format and medium so much I make crude attempts at drawing, lettering,etc. If anyone cares I could post some of my shit and vica versa in regards to other comic nerds/creators

pronetoaccidents

Pat2099

Has no one mentioned Lynda Barry as a woman who makes great comics? She's been making comics for a looooong time.I'm seconding Lisa Hanawalt, Hot Dog Taste Test is really funny.

pronetoaccidents

The whole Crumb family, Robert and Aline-Kominsky  and their daughter Sophie.  Aline was involved with "Wimmen's Comix, later titled Wimmin's Comix, is an influential all-female underground comics anthology published from 1972 to 1992. Though it covered a wide range of genre and subject matter, Wimmen's Comix focused more than other anthologies of the time on feminist concerns, homosexuality, sex and politics in general, and autobiographical comics. Wimmen's Comix #1 featured the first-ever comic strip featuring an "out" lesbian, Trina Robbins' "Sandy Comes Out." Wimmen's Comix was a launching pad for many cartoonists' careers, and inspired other small-press and self-published titles like Dyke Shorts and Dynamite Damsels. "Also, "Comics Alliance listed Kominsky-Crumb as one of twelve women cartoonists deserving of lifetime achievement recognition."

momitsnowme

pronetoaccidents

"Your head's like mine, like all our heads; big enough to contain every god and devil there ever was. Big enough to hold the weight of oceans and the turning stars. Whole universes fit in there! But what do we choose to keep in this miraculous cabinet? Little broken things, sad trinkets that we play with over and over. The world turns our key and we play the same little tune again and again and we think that tune's all we are." - Grant Morrison-The Invisibles, Vol. 1: Say You Want a Revolution

mama

Quote from: amanda on November 01, 2016, 01:17:13 PM

As standalone graphic novels, comic collections, or women who create webcomics, I am a big fan of:
Tomboy by Liz Prince/Liz Prince just in general
My Dirty Dumb Eyes by Lisa Hanawalt
Everything Julia Wertz has ever done
Kate Leth
Nimona by Noelle Stevenson
I Think I'm in Friend Love with You by Yumi Sakagawa
Rent Girl by Michelle Tea
Alison Bechdel
Through the Woods by Emily Carroll
All of Sophie Campbell's work (she is trans and most of her work is under the first name Ross)
Kate Beaton
Jess Fink

I have Jillian Tamaki, Maggie Thrash, and the series Lady Killer on my to read list.

Also, I hate Alan Moore because of how often he relies on rape and extreme brutality to women as a storytelling device.

We should be friends.  Also, Eleanor Davis is great, Ramsey Beyer (sadly doesn't really make comix now). Liz P has a bunch of new things coming out this year, looks great.