Quitting smoking

Started by BlakeK, October 30, 2016, 07:51:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlakeK

Throughout my life there have been a lot of substances that I've quit using but I have never been able to quit smoking. I started when I was 13 to fit in with my cousin and his friends who were a little older than me. I've been smoking cigarettes ever since and currently smoke about 3/4 to 1 pack a day depending on what's going on. When I was a kid, I always said that I would quit when I was 30 (assuming I made it that long. I was pretty depressed and pessimistic about my life when I was younger). The last time I tried to quit was about 9 years ago and I got to where I would only smoke 2 cigarettes a day; one in the morning and one at night.

I've had various health problems due to my smoking, mainly chronic bronchitis but have also been told that my sleep apnea has been made worse by smoking. Now that my wife is pregnant, I've felt very panicky about my health and really want to quit smoking. I finished the pack I had yesterday morning and bought an electronic cigarette to help transition me from smoker to non-smoker. I have no idea if this will work and don't really have a plan for transitioning to nothing. I do know that this electronic cigarette sucks and is the equivalent of drinking Coke Zero after drinking regular Coke.

Has anyone here been a heavy smoker and successfully quit? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to be a smoker when the baby is born.
Quote from: BlakeK on March 09, 2017, 06:59:37 PM
Having said that, I'd rather listen to Papa Roach than GG Allin

pronetoaccidents

I heard ibogaine helps with all addictions but that's an intense hallucinogen. when I did for a year and a half I did it cold turkey. but the patch is good, the gum helps, the lozenges... even meditation. I also heard it's an oral fixation thing so some people just eat candy.best of luck
Though lovers be lost love shall not.

BlakeK

Quote from: pronetoaccidents on October 30, 2016, 02:04:13 PM
I heard ibogaine helps with all addictions but that's an intense hallucinogen. when I did for a year and a half I did it cold turkey. but the patch is good, the gum helps, the lozenges... even meditation. I also heard it's an oral fixation thing so some people just eat candy.best of luck
Total oral fixation. The e cigarette sucks but it's allowing me to go through the motions. I think they have these where they slowly decrease the nicotine. Maybe that's what chantix is.  I'll have to look into it

Courtney

I ate like a crate of clementines a day when I was quitting. It kept my hands and mouth busy and I didn't get the flu. The patch also helped.

pronetoaccidents

Quote from: BlakeK on October 30, 2016, 04:58:57 PM
Total oral fixation. The e cigarette sucks but it's allowing me to go through the motions. I think they have these where they slowly decrease the nicotine. Maybe that's what chantix is.  I'll have to look into it

i was on an anti-depressant called Wellbutrin. it made cigarettes tastes like i was huffing exhaust from a monstertruck. and if you wanna tell your doc you just wanna stop smoking you can get that prescribed
Though lovers be lost love shall not.

momitsnowme

I haven't been there so I can't offer advice from that angle but if it helps, remember that this isn't just for you. Second hand smoke is extremely dangerous for infants.

BlakeK

Quote from: pronetoaccidents on October 31, 2016, 07:25:31 AM
Quote from: BlakeK on October 30, 2016, 04:58:57 PM

i was on an anti-depressant called Wellbutrin. it made cigarettes tastes like i was huffing exhaust from a monstertruck. and if you wanna tell your doc you just wanna stop smoking you can get that prescribed
I was on Wellbutrin when I was a teenager and it didn't help my depression or my smoking. I could try it now and see if it works. So far I've almost gone 3 days without a real cigarette. I hate the e cigarette but it does satisfy my nicotine cravings and is cheaper. I just don't know what the long term effects of them are.