what i learned from comic books

Started by pronetoaccidents, October 17, 2016, 08:44:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pronetoaccidents

MATTER IS THE DIVINE IN ITS MOST CONDENSED FORM. THIS ENTITY I'M TRYING TO DESCRIBE IS PRESENT IN EVERYTHING. IT'S BEEN THAT WAY SINCE THE MOMENT TWO HIGHER UNIVERSES OVERLAPPED TO FORMM THIS ONE-THE BIG BANG RIGHT? THE INCREASING COMPLEXITY OF THE UNIVERSE IS A SIGN OF THE ENTITY'S GROWING SELF CONSCIOUSNESS. THE ENTITY WAS STUNNED BY THE ENCOUNTER WITH IT'S OWN CREATION. I MEAN, LITERALLY. BLINDED, TRAPPED IN WHAT IT HAD USED ITS OWN SUBSTANCE TO BUILD. AN WHAT'S HAPPENING NOW IS THAT THE ENTITY, THE ALIEN, THE UNIVERSE, WHATEVER YOU WANT TO CALL IT, IS USING US TO WAKE IT UP. OUR EVOLUTIONARY PROGRESS IS THE RECORD OF ITS RETURNING CONSCIOUSNESS, ALWAYS MOST COHERENCE. MORE SELF-AWARENESS. AND SOON NOW, IT' GOING TO WAKE UP. THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE GOING TO OPEN IS GOING TO OPEN ITS EYES AN BLINK. AN W'LL BE HERE TO SEE IT HAPPEN.
Though lovers be lost love shall not.

pronetoaccidents

All wars are sex wars. Consider the link between a semen stained dress in Washington and dead refugee babies in the former yugoslavia

jer

Anti-Creative Records sells some things.
http://www.anti-creative.com

pronetoaccidents

Grant morrison. All his stuff is flawless but those are from his sprawling epic, the invisibles. Absolutely essential

BlakeK

I learned that movies based on comic books are way better than the comic books themselves in most cases. I always had a hard time reading comic books. Do you consider graphic novels to be comic books?
Quote from: BlakeK on March 09, 2017, 06:59:37 PM
Having said that, I'd rather listen to Papa Roach than GG Allin

skateandannoy

Quote from: BlakeK on October 18, 2016, 05:17:10 PM
I learned that movies based on comic books are way better than the comic books themselves in most cases. I always had a hard time reading comic books. Do you consider graphic novels to be comic books?
Really? I think it was pretty much universally agreed to be the opposite. Comics are wonderful because they combine the visual aspect of film, with the internal thought and monologue of characters that only works in literature. It such a fantastic medium. And, because they are serialized you are able to really get to know and appreciate a larger group of characters (i.e. Justice League or Avengers) because you get to spend much more time with them one on one. People love Iron Man and no one really cares about Thor in The Avengers films because Iron Man is a well developed character and Thor is like a cardboard cutout. They just can't develop everyone all in one movie, it becomes overstuffed (Suicide Squad is a particularly bad offender at that.) Serialization is also why Marvel's netflix series like Jessica Jones are so much better than any of their Blockbuster films. And why The Punisher is much better in the netflix Dardevil series than he was in either of the Punisher movies. It's a format more in tune to that in which the characters were created in.

As for graphic novels, I definitely consider them comic books, just a different style. An example from the graphic novel world would be V for Vendetta's graphic novel is superior to the film (which is also good, but makes the book's subject matter very safe for mass consumption).

I love comic book movies, sometimes movies aren't the best for comic book characters though. And who is writing/ directing and who the studio is is also important too.
Wow that was a lot more than I meant to write on the subject haha. I love comics. What comic book movies have you been digging?
https://deadformat.net/tradelist/anthemforadoomed

Quote from: tinybitsofheart on August 01, 2014, 06:53:17 AM
kinda weird how the earth continues to spin on its axis and everything eventually dies even when you don't want it to dang

ramblinrabble

Quote from: BlakeK on October 18, 2016, 05:17:10 PM

While I understand how the movies can be easier to enjoy than the comic books if that's not what you're into, the movies often still suck when you factor in how much they fail to address, or just completely change, to accommodate a cinematic audience.  And I get that.  To them it's not only condensing a story, and drawing in movie theater crowds, it greatly takes away from the actual character of the books, and what shaped the character.

A recent movie I can use to make my point would be Deadpool.   The movie was well received, but they changed a lot of his backstory, which was pretty significant in the comic books.  They skipped over the whole potential identity theft thing, eliminated the sadistic doctor who was the actual person who tortured him, changed where he got his powers from, and apparently they're jumping into the Cable & Deadpool thing waaaaaayyyy too soon.  Does all of that need to be in a movie?  No.  But it is a lot of details that shape his character as well as how he effects those around him.  When you omit that stuff, you don't have the same level of appreciation for a character that people have spent years developing and writing about.  That's just my two cents.  /rant

Also, yes, I do consider graphic novels and comics to be interchangeable.

pronetoaccidents

V for vendetta was such a great comic. I've read it over and over. At different points in my life it resonated well. All of Alan Moore's stuff was awesome. Swamp thing blew my mind. It blended horror and philosophy and had a really sweeping Shakespearean feel to it.
I just love that it's a format that can be be absorbed and reinterpreted by any generation. A good description was Grant Morrison's book supergods. Kinda summed up everything great about all comics, (golden age, underground, hollywood, etc.)

pronetoaccidents

The best comic/graphic novel is Alan moores- from hell. It's so dense it could be a BBC show

BlakeK

I don't know anything about comic books so I really can't speak on it and shouldn't have said anything. I just remember trying to get into them as a kid and seeking out cartoons or movies instead when I would get frustrated with the comics. Maybe I would appreciate them more as an adult.

pronetoaccidents

Blake, check out any Alan Moore of you want a good story and to think about and for fun any of the pre fifties comic code horror ones.. tales from the crypt,  vault of h orror

momitsnowme

I like seeing the movie or show first and then using comics to pursue more of the parts of the story I'm interested in. I watched Buffy and Angel and then read the Buffy comics. I've delved into Willow and Angel and Faith too. Not as into Spikes story so I haven't read his but I might just because I do like knowing as much as I can about a universe.

And I've been watching Agents of SHIELD and loving it so I just went to the comic book shop to get some background. It was neat because I told the woman "I like Coulson and Fury's stories but I'm mostly into woman centric comics. What should I read?" and she had recommendations. If I had been into another one of the characters more, she could have pointed me in a different direction. It appeals to me that the Marvel universe is so vast and multifaceted and interconnected and I can just try to get as much of it as I can but I could never know about all of it.

pronetoaccidents

Any manga fans? I like lone wolf and cub, gantz

skateandannoy

Quote from: momitsnowme on October 28, 2016, 01:43:29 PM
I like seeing the movie or show first and then using comics to pursue more of the parts of the story I'm interested in. I watched Buffy and Angel and then read the Buffy comics. I've delved into Willow and Angel and Faith too. Not as into Spikes story so I haven't read his but I might just because I do like knowing as much as I can about a universe.

And I've been watching Agents of SHIELD and loving it so I just went to the comic book shop to get some background. It was neat because I told the woman "I like Coulson and Fury's stories but I'm mostly into woman centric comics. What should I read?" and she had recommendations. If I had been into another one of the characters more, she could have pointed me in a different direction. It appeals to me that the Marvel universe is so vast and multifaceted and interconnected and I can just try to get as much of it as I can but I could never know about all of it.
I highly recommend Alias: Jessica Jones, and for something a little lighter and suuuuper cute, Patsy Walker AKA Hellcat! written by Kate Leth. Alias is a pretty short series and Hellcat just started last year so there aren't many issues yet. Both are female-centric great stories, and Hellcat has lots of LGBTQ characters and is super positive.

kinda weird how the earth continues to spin on its axis and everything eventually dies even when you don't want it to dang

momitsnowme

Awesome, thanks!! She also recommended Hawkeye to me.

pronetoaccidents

got new comics today. went to midtown comics (great manhattan store) - A rob zombie comic, a few sandman comics, old batman, another copy of V for Vendetta, Wytches (graphic novel about a witch cult.), Archie, Yo Miss (a graphic look at high school. really good. about a white woman who starts working at an inner city school and sees how fucked up it is and wants to make a difference.) Doom patrol (a grant morrison book. he's in my top 3 favorite writers.) and a collection of old pre comic code EC comics

pronetoaccidents

my top three writers....

alan moore (read it ALL. you don't always here his name for nothing. everyone talks about Watchmen (rightfully so. it's great, but that doesn't scratch the surface)

grant morrison (everything. The invisibles is a good start. it changed the way i view comics, myself and the world. it's the literary equivilent to taking 30 hits of good acid) ,

Garth Ennis (Preacher is amazing as is his other stuff. anyone who hasn't read the Preacher, DO IT

momitsnowme

Ryan, not picking on you, your post just reminded me. It seems like the comic field is sooo male dominated. Like even the comics about ladies most of the writers and artists seem to be men. Anyone have any recs for good lady comic writers or artists?

BlakeK

Quote from: momitsnowme on October 29, 2016, 07:28:25 PM
Ryan, not picking on you, your post just reminded me. It seems like the comic field is sooo male dominated. Like even the comics about ladies most of the writers and artists seem to be men. Anyone have any recs for good lady comic writers or artists?
This is just a link to the Wikipedia page but it looked interesting.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occult_Crimes_Taskforce

momitsnowme

Written by Rosario Dawson! Interesting!

pronetoaccidents

true. Robert crumbs wifes and daughter. the daughther name is sophie shes amazing. the mother was big in the 60s, 70s underground scene. contributed to tits and clits, an all female artist, writer, publisher everything

pronetoaccidents

today I got a signed spawn comic. very happy

jer

Anti-Creative Records sells some things.
http://www.anti-creative.com

pronetoaccidents

From 93. McFarlane. I got it for a buck at a garage sale..

Now that's a movie, spawn , that should be remade proper

skateandannoy

There are, but women are creating a lot of great stuff right now to try to push back against that. Unfortunately, as with pretty much anything else, a ridiculously loud male voice has to come in and ruin great things, even if they're in the minority: http://www.dailydot.com/parsec/chelsea-cain-mockingbird-marvel-sexist-harassment/