Civil War Within Liberalism

Started by BlakeK, December 19, 2015, 06:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlakeK

Quote from: jerkemy on December 22, 2015, 03:16:18 PM
I wasn't addressing any one poster, I was just scattershot editorializing about some of the topics in the thread. I didn't mean to make anyone quit the board.
Well, apparently you should have put a trigger warning up before posting. Then this all could have been avoided.

In all seriousness, I don't think you did anything particularly wrong in this thread. I think this was a result of your past interactions with Aaron being a sore point with him and he felt attacked. I think this could have been a learning moment for him as to how it's hard to interact with someone who communicates in the way he's communicated in this thread. It was a bit overwhelming. The name calling was a bit much on your end.
Quote from: BlakeK on March 09, 2017, 06:59:37 PM
Having said that, I'd rather listen to Papa Roach than GG Allin

jer

Every one should quit the board today.

But no one should kill themselves, ever.

#Jer2016
Anti-Creative Records sells some things.
http://www.anti-creative.com

AaronTheCabe

Quote from: jer on December 23, 2015, 12:11:03 AM
Every one should quit the board today.

But no one should kill themselves, ever.

#Jer2016

that's the nicest and funniest thing i may have ever read. it made smile
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back breakfast

pronetoaccidents

would make a good andrew jackson jihad song thingy. good chorus material.

shake hands guys. c'mon. we're all crazy enough to have stuck around this desolate wasteland bickering and laughing amongst each other we might as well stick it out till we're really old and crotchety
Though lovers be lost love shall not.

skateandannoy

https://deadformat.net/tradelist/anthemforadoomed

Quote from: tinybitsofheart on August 01, 2014, 06:53:17 AM
kinda weird how the earth continues to spin on its axis and everything eventually dies even when you don't want it to dang

BlakeK

I thought that people would get annoyed with one another is this thread. That was kind of the point. People who consider themselves progressive liberals are getting into heated debates and are pretty pissed at one another. I was hoping to talk about the issues that seem to be dividing people. I thought there would be differences in opinions between many of us (I use the word "us" because I think it's safe to say that no one on this board would describe themselves as a conservative or on the right but if so, please talk about it). Please come back and post regularly, Aaron.

jerkemy

I'm not mad at Aaron; we don't even need to shake hands. He should continue to post here if he wants. This is contentious stuff and people need to be OK with sarcastic pushback if they post videos by noted misogynist reactionaries is all. This is the normal back and forth of internet message boards. It's fine. It's punk rock. Who gives a shit? I didn't think anyone would leave the board over it. I'm not even really an admin except technically, nothing I say fuckin matters.

Anna Karina

jerkemy

Shit, this board really IS mean. I guess I just don't understand the internet or messageboard culture. I'm never coming back.

AaronTheCabe

sargon really is a piece of shit, i was unaware of that at the time.

but fuck it! its punk rock man! discussing shit is for nerds and people without a life!
I can come and go as I please!
It's all just sardonic whoopti fuckin' doooo! I mean its the internet, right!?

Lets all smoke some fuckin meth and sing for the new year!

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back breakfast

BlakeK

Quote from: AaronTheCabe on December 28, 2015, 03:42:41 PM
sargon really is a piece of shit, i was unaware of that at the time.

but fuck it! its punk rock man! discussing shit is for nerds and people without a life!
I can come and go as I please!
It's all just sardonic whoopti fuckin' doooo! I mean its the internet, right!?

Lets all smoke some fuckin meth and sing for the new year!

Aaron, you should come and go as you please. I'm getting a really bad feeling that you use this board as your primary means of support. It's a nice board (I've lurked on a few others and was not jumping into those messes) but it's just a message board. Jeremy is right. These are sensitive topics and people are going to have strong reactions that aren't going to always be expressed in a calm, rational way. I really hope you are able to get help and am sad to see that you relapsed. You posting that picture and statement seems to suggest to me that you're blaming your use on members of a message board. If your sobriety is so fragile that a snarky, sarcastic comment on a message board triggered a relapse, you need to seek out professional help immediately. Those words are coming from compassion and not judgment, I promise.

BlakeK

I hate to open a wound but the more I watch YouTube videos on subjects discussed in this thread, the more I realize how many douchebags there are spouting very misogynistic bullshit under the guise of protecting free speech. Many of these people claim to be liberals but I am not hearing many liberal principles being espoused. On the other hand, more established liberal, progressive channels/podcasts seem close minded as well but at least they seem to have good intentions.

skateandannoy

Reddit has a lot of fedora wearing misogynistic MRA liberals. I'm not surprised many of them have YouTube accounts as well.

kinda weird how the earth continues to spin on its axis and everything eventually dies even when you don't want it to dang

jer

Can't figure out what's worse, Reddit's fedora wearing misogynistic MRA liberals, or Reddit's fedora wearing misogynistic MRA libertarians.

skateandannoy

BlakeK

Based on several stories from the past year including one I read today (pasted below) college kids are more sensitive than ever and it's getting ridiculous. When I was in college there was a pretty small group of outrage junkies turning over every rock in hopes of finding something to be offended by. It seems that group is getting bigger.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/white-kansas-professor-leave-n-word-class-article-1.2442657

apparently the professor was asked to step down this week after being suspended following the incident

jer

Grad students haven't learned how to determine context yet?

ramblinrabble