Pet peeves thread

Started by ramblinrabble, July 31, 2014, 01:56:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

I hate dongles for software. 

My office just bought a new Black Magic cinema camera and its software requires a dongle.  So anytime anyone wants to use the software we have to make sure someone else isn't using the software. 

I understand protecting all the R&D that a company puts into something, but dongles feel like they punish the legal consumer. 

skateandannoy

Quote from: Joe on June 03, 2015, 09:02:16 AM
I hate dongles for software. 

My office just bought a new Black Magic cinema camera and its software requires a dongle.  So anytime anyone wants to use the software we have to make sure someone else isn't using the software. 

I understand protecting all the R&D that a company puts into something, but dongles feel like they punish the legal consumer. 
My high school used Avid for editing software and it was always such a pain having to ask the teacher for a dongle to work on stuff. At least the name is fun to say. Dongle.
https://deadformat.net/tradelist/anthemforadoomed

Quote from: tinybitsofheart on August 01, 2014, 06:53:17 AM
kinda weird how the earth continues to spin on its axis and everything eventually dies even when you don't want it to dang

lindsey

being interrupted. all. goddamn. day.

Joe

dongle.

I think most of my pet peeves are related to working in a cube farm.  The buzz words, the dongles, the personalized, full-volume ringtones. There is something about the silence of my particular office that adds to the agitation of other sounds.

the reason I was inspired to post today was someone stirring tea behind me. The sound of the tinkling
metal spoon reminding me of another person who scrapes the inside of a plastic yogurt container for what seems like forever. Wouldn't bother me at brunch, but put it in a open office where no one talks and white noise is piped in from the ceiling to mask the fact that you work in a carpeted pole-barn, and it totally becomes the fucking matrix.

So I think my main pet peeve is silent corporate cubical farm environments. 

Also, working in propaganda is a pet peeve.  I'm realizing that everyone I work with went to some form of creatively focused school, like art school, film school, writing school and we all essentially get paid to create mild propaganda.  We call it communications, but it isn't really about communicating anything other than propaganda. 

Did you know that the words "Public Relations" only exist because the word "Propaganda" had garnered negative connotations? Freud's nephew, Edward Bernays, came up with it post world war I in order to use propaganda on people during peacetimes.

fuckin' dongles and explainer videos, y'all.

Alright Lindsey, you can finish whatever it was you were saying.

lindsey

Haha! THANKS I do have a lot to complain about.

I have so many "cube farm" related pet peeves now! BURNT POPCORN? WHY IS IT ALWAYS BURNT? I work in a call center (okay, "virtual receptionist") cube farm so I've been cultivating lots of phone etiquette pet peeves. Like, people making important phone calls from very noisy environments, or 15 minutes before whatever thing is happening and they ABSOLUTELY MUST SPEAK WITH SOMEONE ABOUT THIS PROBLEM IMMEDIATELY BECAUSE THEY DID NOT THINK TO MAKE THIS PHONE CALL ANY SOONER. ugggghhhh people are the worst