News:

you look nice today.

Guns

Started by BlakeK, November 20, 2014, 06:15:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlakeK

I recently bought a handgun as well as a conceal and carry license. I was really struck by how easy it was to get a gun and a license to carry one. I went to a gun show at the armory in a neighboring town and it was full of right wing gun nuts with obscene amounts of guns. Some of these were licensed gun dealers and some were not. The ones who were not licensed were something else. I went in and decided I wanted to buy a gun for target shooting (I did not grow up with guns as a kid but enjoyed shooting them with friends as a teenager). I went up to the guy and gave him $300 and got a 9 mm pistol in return. He checked my driver's license to see if I was 18 and that was it. No background check, no personal information taken, no receipt. The man who claimed to be a Marine said that since he was just a dude selling guns and not a dealer there were no hoops to jump through. He started lamenting liberals which I found funny given the shirt I was wearing under my hoodie.

The license process was somewhat thorough as far as criminal background goes but was lacking in terms of screening for mental health. The mental health check was just me checking a box saying basically that I do not and have not had mental health issues.

Does the fact that a mentally unstable felon can walk into a gun show and get as many guns as they  like bother anyone?. I know that a felon couldn't get a license but I don't really think that a lot of felons would care about getting a license. I also know that it's hypocritical to engage in this process and then question it but it is somewhat alarming to me.
Quote from: BlakeK on March 09, 2017, 06:59:37 PM
Having said that, I'd rather listen to Papa Roach than GG Allin

jer

I'm a gun owner, but I don't think it's hypocritical to want there to be better controls and regulations over the process. It's completely absurd as it stands now. The standard needs to be so much higher.

And yeah, it bums me out any time i've gone to a shooting range or or anything because it's full of the type of kooks you're talking about who are so detached from reality. The 2nd amendment has been so perverted from what it was intended to do.
Anti-Creative Records sells some things.
http://www.anti-creative.com

rory

I can't imagine anyone on this board being pro gun but not on a stance of re-evaluation on at least some aspect of gun laws.

Except maybe Brian.
Quote from: Winged Killick
I'm an anarchist, but I'm not going to drive ninety-five miles an hour down the road tossing illegal, invasive species of snakes from my car while texting and fraudulently doing my taxes.

jer

this is probably before your time, but there was that cody pandaxcore kid who was ANARKY TO THE MAXX who was hardcore pro-guns because that's the only way the revolution will start, man.

I wonder what happened to that guy. He was pretty bizarre dude, but he was generally nice enough.

Rapture Ready Blowhard

Quote from: jer on November 20, 2014, 09:22:08 AM
And yeah, it bums me out any time i've gone to a shooting range or or anything because it's full of the type of kooks you're talking about who are so detached from reality. The 2nd amendment has been so perverted from what it was intended to do.

Considering that the "well-regulated militias" mentioned in the text of the 2nd Amendment were meant to police Blacks and carry out acts of genocidal aggression against Indians on the Appalachian frontier, I don't think we can look to the supposedly good intentions of the founders to help us to arrive at more sound gun policies.  But basically, I'm pro guns and pro gun regulations.

jer

Well how else am I supposed to protect myself from slave revolts?!

Anna Karina

Quote from: jer on November 20, 2014, 09:45:45 AM
this is probably before your time, but there was that cody pandaxcore kid who was ANARKY TO THE MAXX who was hardcore pro-guns because that's the only way the revolution will start, man.

I wonder what happened to that guy. He was pretty bizarre dude, but he was generally nice enough.
One more dead cop!!

Nate Rainey

Signature get.

BlakeK

Quote from: Anna Karina on November 20, 2014, 01:30:04 PM
Quote from: jer on November 20, 2014, 09:45:45 AM

One more dead cop!!
I really hope that Cody comes on here with news that he's now working for his local police department. That would make my day.

I'm dreading going to a shooting range around here. I've been going to a friend's house who lives in the country to shoot but I'd like somewhere else to go. Somewhere legal that I can go to without bugging my friend. Apparently there's a gun range where you send a check and they send a key and address. It sounds strange but maybe there won't be anyone there if I go at certain times.

pronetoaccidents

i'm pretty sure i mentioned this at one point over the course of my time on the board. years ago in exchange for a bundle of heroin (10 bags) i let my dealer buy a pretty heavy duty gun (it was either called a Street Sweeper or a Road Blocker. I forget exactly) under my name. I really hope shady things weren't done with the aformentioned arms. I've been stopped by police periodically since then and they've run my license and no warrants popped up so at least no ones been killed. So that's good news.

but my personal views on guns.. um, they are bad but bad people have them so maybe good people should have them to protect themselves from the bad people with them? i dunno. i wish there was a way to zap all the guns away so no one had them. but then people would just use bows and arrows and/or maces and battle axes and shit or their bare hands.
Though lovers be lost love shall not.

michaelcopeland

I've always been really against guns. However, I live in a really bad neighborhood. A lot of really sketchy stuff has been going on and I'm honestly afraid for my family. I'm really considering getting a gun for protection.

BlakeK

I got one  for self defense and also because I like target shooting. I never thought I'd own a gun but I feel safer with one now, given my situation. I've always been against having guns, too, and still feel kind of weird owning one.

I'd be really scared to put a gun in my name like you did, Ryan, not only due to the fact that the guy you bought it for seems shady, but also due to the possibility that it could change hands again and still be in your name. I don't know how it works where you live but there isn't a gun registry in Indiana so that guy could have gotten his own here

skateandannoy

Quote from: Nate Rainey on November 20, 2014, 03:11:03 PM
Guns can fuck off.
This.

I liked pandaxcore Cody but that ideology of guns= the revolution is so ridiculous. You can't revolt against a system with guns and then just collectively give them up. No way in hell. Fuck white boys with guns.

I don't have a problem with people owning guns, I think it's better than just cops and the military having them, but obviously gun nuts are the worst. 
https://deadformat.net/tradelist/anthemforadoomed

Quote from: tinybitsofheart on August 01, 2014, 06:53:17 AM
kinda weird how the earth continues to spin on its axis and everything eventually dies even when you don't want it to dang

Nate Rainey

It's kind of hilarious how many people think an armed revolution against this government would even work....and terrifying that so many think it would lead to anything good even if it did.
Signature get.

Nate Rainey

It's not just that the cops have guns.

It's that they have the ability to use them without reasonable cause, and then apparently also without consequence.

If a cop was held accountable even a fraction of the time they shoot a person, or a dog or any living thing that bothers them, then it wouldn't be as much a fuckawful, terrible thing that they have them.
Signature get.

Nate Rainey

Some dickhead cop around here shot a cat in the face. He said he thought it had rabies because it didn't run away from him. Because domesticated cats totally never walk right over to people to rub up against them.
Signature get.