+/- Thread

Started by AaronTheCabe, June 10, 2014, 02:36:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

avivatigerlily

Quote from: hatmoose on June 16, 2014, 08:21:13 AM
Quote from: avivatigerlily on June 16, 2014, 04:58:16 AM
+getting naloxone trained today

+excited its with the Washington Heights Corner Project where my girlfriend works
http://www.buzzfeed.com/johnknefel/the-controversial-answer-to-americas-heroin-surge

-wish i didnt feel i should, not like, in a 'fucking drug users' way, just in a 'this is just kind of passively unfortunate in the way many things in the world are' way
this is really cool, i only heard about naloxone for the first time a few months ago. i should learn more.

Yeah. I got trained to administer it intranasally and not intramuscularly, so I don't even have to jab a needle into someone, just spray into their nostrils. Training was quick and easy, it's a straightforward process because there aren't really any down sides to administering it, intranasally isn't really as imposing as trying to get a dose in a needle ready, and dealing with an identifiably unconscious person gives you some options (though time isn't one of them). But yeah, as far as the downsides/misadministering goes, I could take it right now at work and it wouldn't do anything bad. Worst case is someone starts getting dope sick because it basically induces withdrawal if that person was, say, just nodding out and you misidentified them as being unconscious somehow. So... that sucks, but they aren't going to die. Like, it's so easy they said that I could just volunteer to train other people after just one training.

FolkTheGovernment

+ got my license Friday for pix fest
+ pix fest was great
+ made new friends/met great people
+ sat and talked with Ramshackle Glory for half an hour before they left
i love sharks and Godzilla

rory

+ Pixfest!
-/+ Pixfest was hard and perhaps I am an old old man instead of a young wide eyed punk. But seeing friends from all over was so great, and Emperor X / Eric Ayotte got me bawling my little eyes out.
+++ When I went away for the weekend, a friend of mine took my moped (which has been broken for almost two years) and was able to fix it already! It's up and running! I am mobile again!
Quote from: Winged Killick
I'm an anarchist, but I'm not going to drive ninety-five miles an hour down the road tossing illegal, invasive species of snakes from my car while texting and fraudulently doing my taxes.

bee

+ pix fest was cool and i met some babes
- it was less cool because of anxiety, ticks, and having to be around a couple of people that make me feel sorta uncomfortable
+/- my general feeling right now is "bleh"

tim

+ pix fest was, in fact, cool

Quote from: rory on June 24, 2014, 01:23:29 PM
Pixfest was hard and perhaps I am an old old man instead of a young wide eyed punk.

Yeah. :/

Seta

++ pixfest and hanging with people I rarely get to see
- still not great at talking to strangers, even if those strangers are kids. stupid brain.

Quote from: RankResistance on June 14, 2014, 11:46:35 AM
+ I'm buying a house, on which I close next week! It is "the one" my partner and I fell in love with instantly. I'm psyched.
+ I'm getting married in a few months.
+ It's summer! However, I am still taking gifted endorsement classes for my job and coaching high school baseball, but still...summer. I'll even have a month after I move to get settled.

- At a time when most people would say my life is coming together quite nicely (and it is, I do not argue), my anxiety and depression has sort of hopped back onto the dance floor and made their presence known again. I've gone to doctors, I've gotten medication, and usually the medication makes me feel infinitely worse (nausea, headaches, etc.).
- The most stressful thing about this whole yuppie lifestyle is the fear that with this kind of stability comes the knowledge that I will be trapped in my current career. I hate it and I want out but I don't know what else I'm qualified to do. Year One was the worst experience of my life and everyone said "It's that way for everyone." So I changed schools and tried again. Ditto for year two. Everyone has said "You're still finding your bearings. Give it another go." I am under contract through next year and I'm willing to give it a shot, but I don't think I can teach twenty more years.

congrats!
missing the old board since 2014

avivatigerlily

+I've been seeing a lot of friends lately that I haven't seen in a long time (ranging from a year and a half to six years). Different tours and travel have been bringing old flames and best friends and overseas-ers to my city and to my home and it's been a fucking lovely month of catching up and being emotional and reminiscing and forming new bonds and processing the past.

-it reminds me of, while i (+++++)love the family im building at home, i really profoundly miss and do not see often enough many of the beautiful, brilliant, talented, fraught, struggling, wonderful people that mean so much to me each in their own ways.  it's a shame  we are often so far away and i get to see them so infrequently.

Pwoink

Quote from: tim on June 24, 2014, 11:00:14 PM
+ pix fest was, in fact, cool

Quote from: rory on June 24, 2014, 01:23:29 PM
Pixfest was hard and perhaps I am an old old man instead of a young wide eyed punk.

Yeah. :/

What do you guys mean by that?

rory

I had a tough time maintaining energy in the heat and humidity, the sun, the lack of food (aka the lack of my own preparation), being in crowds. I've seen so many great bands and met so many great people through and because of PIX, but after a few fests I feel like I just cannot do stuff like that anymore. My enthusiasm no longer seems to outweigh my discomfort.

But there were also some other factors going on that probably led to this feeling, and it was probably just circumstantial.
I'm an anarchist, but I'm not going to drive ninety-five miles an hour down the road tossing illegal, invasive species of snakes from my car while texting and fraudulently doing my taxes.

Pwoink

Yeah, those are all tough factors! I know I had to take more breaks just laying and reading in some shade (even missing bands) just 'cause I needed to spend more time to maintain my comfort levels. But, hey, fests aren't for everyone no matter their age, anyway!

rory

Totally. I guess I went with "old" because it seemed like a development in my life to be less capable to handle, rather than just the fact that it was just tough in general.

But now that I'm away from everything, I'm already prepared to find myself at some other queer friendly punk free for all haven.

lindsey

---- TMI ALERT i got an IUD implanted today and fuuuuuck my body is so mad at me now. having extreme period-style cramps for the first time in 2+ years and lord i was not ready. no amount of ibuprofen or lets be honest, marijuana, is helping me out of this mess. hopefully i'll feel better tomorrow cause i'm starting a nine day stretch!
---- despite loving my new boss, i still managed to find myself in a situation where she's going on vacation and i'm left trying to run the store with a management team that is so shitty it's not even endearing in an underdog sort of way. so over it.
+ getting paid a day early and with two solid 40 hrs weeks AND a sales bonus!
+ i got my boob lump checked out and yay i don't have breast cancer!

AaronTheCabe

- i am sad as fuck all the fucking time
+good to hear lindsey doesn't have the cancer
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back breakfast

dakotafloyd

- So so so busy with school stuff all the time.
+ Plan-It-X Fest was great.  Lots of fun shows have happened since I got back.
- Tired.
+ Going to a baseball game on the Fourth of July.
21 Moreland Ave. NE
Atlanta, GA 30307

rory

- I'm way more freaked out by the fireworks in my neighborhood this year than I've ever been before. It's probably that they're legal in Michigan now for only the 2nd or 3rd year, but it's still overwhelming. I'd usually bike to a parking garage downtown and watch fireworks in all directions, but I'm too scared to get there.
+ My Danelectro baritone guitar is so badass, and I finally feel like I get guitar.

lindsey

Quote from: AaronTheCabe on July 02, 2014, 04:53:00 PM
- i am sad as fuck all the fucking time
+good to hear lindsey doesn't have the cancer

thanks buddy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ me and my boo decided to move to alaska in 12-16 months if we can possibly make it happen!!!!!!!!

Courtney

ALASKA!? What the hell? How's that gonna work for G's acting career?

+IT'S MY MOTHERFUCKIN' BIRTHDAY, Y'ALL.
+I feel pretty great on these new meds. Motivation! Energy! Happiness!
+my mom decided to surprise me and fly up because she was worried and for once I'm being PLEASANT!

jer

Why would anyone choose to live in Alaska? This is bizarre.
Anti-Creative Records sells some things.
http://www.anti-creative.com

-S-

- boring city
- boring country
- few friends
+ a new banjo !

lindsey

alaska is gonna be DOPE! we're definitely not planning on living there for more than 2 years, and Juneau (the city we'd move to) has a cute little arts community to explore and G would come back to portland for the summers which is when he does most of his acting anyway.

i would choose to live in alaska because it is incredibly beautiful and i want to experience living there! I've wanted to live in alaska for as long as i can remember, it just seems like a foreign dream land! i would definitely get tired of wilderness and living in a tiny ass town after a while though, which is why we're planning something super short term. the opportunity has made itself known so i want to go for it and see if we can make it happen. ALASKAAAAAA!!!! i can't believe there's even a question of why, it seems so amazing!!!!!

moreaboutwhozackis

+I made new friends and might be getting signed to a DIY label in the area!
+I tanned amazingly and am now a bronze god
+I got to drink so much root beer!
-the girl i was seeing decided that a dude she met and hardly knew an hour was mister perfect, and dumped me.

ramblinrabble

Quote from: lindsey on July 09, 2014, 07:31:36 PM
alaska is gonna be DOPE! we're definitely not planning on living there for more than 2 years, and Juneau (the city we'd move to) has a cute little arts community to explore and G would come back to portland for the summers which is when he does most of his acting anyway.

i would choose to live in alaska because it is incredibly beautiful and i want to experience living there! I've wanted to live in alaska for as long as i can remember, it just seems like a foreign dream land! i would definitely get tired of wilderness and living in a tiny ass town after a while though, which is why we're planning something super short term. the opportunity has made itself known so i want to go for it and see if we can make it happen. ALASKAAAAAA!!!! i can't believe there's even a question of why, it seems so amazing!!!!!

Poop on Sarah Palins doorstep please

Rapture Ready Blowhard

-  EDIT: was sad and angry last night.  I drank some alcohol, and wound up sadder and angrier.  Funny how that works.

AaronTheCabe

Quote from: Rapture Ready Blowhard on July 12, 2014, 08:15:14 PM
-  EDIT: was sad and angry last night.  I drank some alcohol, and wound up sadder and angrier.  Funny how that works.

i saw it right before going to bed and just got on to tell ya sorry you felt bad last night. I also sympathize because also yesterday i got riled up when a friend of a friend of facebook insinuated that i was closed minded and suffering from cognitive dissonance because i didn't agree with their pov about the Israeli / Hamas conflict. A lot of people seem to be throwing around analogies to the native americans for the palestinian peoples, which i do not think is apt at all and tend to side with Israel after being in a global politics class where we really delved into Israeli/ Hamas/ Hezbolla and while i also don't want any innocence to die, Hamas and Hezbolla both tend to launch their rockets from civilian spaces, in a way i think they're more civil militia groups affiliated with the same named political group. They aren't terrorists but normal people fighting for whatever they believe in but they do put their people intentionally in harms way. I got to hear a member of hamas speak to our global politics class for 90 mins (and then the next class a 90 min. presentation from israeli consulate). Now don't get me wrong, both were filled with propgandha. but the palestinian hamas (political member not militia) admitted that the militias attack from civilian quarters in order to try to get the least amount of retaliation. sorry  i know this isn't the place for this and i'm gonna stop, its a fucked up situation, i don't think any of it is good. so you can see i got caught up in much the same way, albeit reversed. your mother had no right to say what you said though, and i didn't imply that those against israel were somehow antisemetic which is why i got soooo pissed off when "i'm closed minded" because i don't agree with this one person pov. i hate facebook.
/rant
tldr; sorry you felt bad mike, <3, its all good
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back breakfast

lovelyseaside

+ happiest i've been in a long, long time.
+ awesome healthy sex on the reg~
+/- i have an interview tmrw for a promotion. i'm the only one being interviewed, it was sort of just sprung on me. if i do well & get this my life will be so much easier. at least a $4 more/hr raise, pto, more benefits, and guaranteed more hours.

+/-- still at a really weird place where i love and hate my body at the same time. i pretty much only feel comfortable in dresses as of late. learning to love love love this vessel i am in is hard.