Releasing Cassettes?

Started by mynameisjawsh, July 08, 2014, 09:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mynameisjawsh

Hey, I'm getting ready to start work on my first album, and I was hoping to release it for free digitally, and then people can buy a cassette of it if they want.
The thing is, I don't really know what I'm doing cassette wise, and I'm hoping to record to the cassette because I just love that sound.
What are your experiences with cassettes? Any advice? Recommended equipment? Anything?
Sometimes I wish I could just pee on everything in the whole goddamned world.

murray

How about buying/borrowing a used 4-track or similar tape recorder?
You could either hook up microphones to a 4-track or obtain a cassette recorder with a built-in microphone and experiment recording live.

orangeslsrecords

I use these guys for my cassettes/labels/cases    http://www.duplication.ca/shop/Audio-Cassettes/
and bought an old cassette duplicator off of ebay for $25, its a really good investment if your gonna be selling tapes I went through way to many tape decks dubbing them before I learned my lesson

mynameisjawsh

Thank you guys! I really appreciate this.
Sometimes I wish I could just pee on everything in the whole goddamned world.

Phitney

I'm not of much help, but I just want to say cassettes are awesome. My old car only had a cassette player so I was stoked when one of my friends started a cassette label. Good on you!

jer

I'm not of much help either, but I want to say I can't believe this cassette revival trend hasn't died yet.
Anti-Creative Records sells some things.
http://www.anti-creative.com

Jordan

The tascam porta studios are really easy to use if you're trying to record to tape and you can find one for like 30 bucks on craigslist fairly often.  They record at a different speed though, so you would have to digitize it to your computer through an mbox and then feed your music out through an mbox and record it on a regular stereo tape deck, so it'll play at the right speed and not sound really weird.  Then you would want to use a duplicator to copy the tapes.  I have been told by a few people that you want to have a master tape for every ten tapes you duplicate or something but I have no idea how necessary that really is.  Best of luck!