Plan-It-X Soda Thread

Started by Semi, July 03, 2014, 05:28:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dakotafloyd

I've never had that variety, but one if their other cola varieties was pretty good.

Interested in trying that kind, but I've never seen them available by the single bottle. And a 4 pack is like 8 bucks.
21 Moreland Ave. NE
Atlanta, GA 30307

Phitney

Hmm, yeah I found it at Whole Foods in the fridge section with the other drinks. It was a little pricey, especially for the size of the bottle ($1.70 for 8 fl oz). Definitely worth a try if you find it!

dakotafloyd

As luck may have it, I found a bottle today.  It was a bit larger and cost $2.40.  It's in the fridge now.  Wahoo!
21 Moreland Ave. NE
Atlanta, GA 30307

dakotafloyd

So, that Nature's Pure FV Cola was tasty, but soooooo thick.  It was almost like drinking straight syrup.  I couldn't manage to finish half of the bottle.

In other news, a soda that was marked in the store as being a cherry kola actually turn out to be a soda made from Thai chili peppers because someone placed the drinks in the complete wrong order on the shelf.  Fortunately for me, the company is sending me a replacement bottle for free!
21 Moreland Ave. NE
Atlanta, GA 30307

Semi

Today I'm drinking this:

It's called Blå-dåre (translates to Blue Idiot, it's an idiom) and supposed to taste like blueberry, which it in no way does. But it's still pretty good, and your toungue gets really blue after drinking it. It's made by a swedish brand called Tre Hjärtan but apparently they now call themselves Three Hearts so I guess they're available outside of Sweden now?
I play accordian/guitar and sing together with my girlfriend who plays ukulele in our band Lagom, we sing songs about the internal contradictions of capital and watching Rupauls Dragrace.

Eugene

My all time favorite

Favorite root beer. the Blueberry is pretty good. The ginger is super strong and burns and it's great. I had a pumpkin spice soda they made it was cool.

Grew up on 99 cent 2 liters of this stuff

And I love the taste of mountain dew

And I have these to cut down on sugar. Although I rarely treat myself to soda these days. They aren't too bad.

Phitney

My jam today. Had to settle for the ale because they didn't have the ginger beer. Still delicious, though:

dakotafloyd

Today's soda for me:

One of the best sodas I've ever had.  Highly recommended, along with most of Bundaberg's other stuff.
21 Moreland Ave. NE
Atlanta, GA 30307

dakotafloyd

Quote from: Phitney on September 25, 2014, 10:21:11 PM
My jam today. Had to settle for the ale because they didn't have the ginger beer. Still delicious, though:

I wasn't that impressed by Fever-Tree ginger beer when I had it a year or so ago.  Dunno what it was about it, just wasn't super into the flavor.

Someone asked me to list my top ginger drinks earlier this year, here's the list I came up with (hopefully I haven't already posted it here): Buffalo Rock Ginger Ale, Maine Root Ginger Brew, Gosling's Ginger Beer, Trader Joe's Triple Ginger Brew, Swamp Pop Jean Lafitte Ginger Ale, Bruce Cost Unfiltered Passion Fruit Ginger Ale
21 Moreland Ave. NE
Atlanta, GA 30307

stevedem

Quote from: dakotafloyd on July 16, 2014, 05:09:04 PM
Rory (and anyone else from Michigan), what are your thoughts on Towne Club, if you've had it?  TC Peach was one of the first sodas that inspired me to dedicate a pretty big chunk of tour time to finding local sodas in the cities we played in.
I've had several of the Towne Club sodas. Their fruit punch one is really intense, it's like Hawaiian Punch but even stronger tasting and carbonated. I like it though. The cola is pretty good too.

stevedem

I went to World Market today and got some Guarana Antarctica. I'm really digging it. 

dakotafloyd

Guarana-flavored sodas are pretty good!  The flavor is a little weird at first, but after awhile you get used to it.  Have you ever had BAWLS?  They make a guarana root beer that I've been looking for.

Pretty sure I talked about these earlier on in this thread, but a store right next to my house started stocking them, and I was finally able to use all of the coupons I won!

The best flavors are Revive Root Beer and Pure Doctor.  They taste like regular sodas, but go down smooth and have all the good stuff of kombucha.  Definitely recommended if ya see 'em!
21 Moreland Ave. NE
Atlanta, GA 30307

dakotafloyd

There's a restaurant down the road from my house that makes pretty interesting sodas.  This one is called Pepper Tree Island and contained caraway, cranberry, pomegranate, pink peppercorn, and anise.

21 Moreland Ave. NE
Atlanta, GA 30307

dakotafloyd

Snagged one of these while I was in SC today.  Pretty dang good!

21 Moreland Ave. NE
Atlanta, GA 30307

Phitney

Cheerwine PUNCH!? I'm going to have to get this if I see it at the store either here or in NC. Cheerwine is my weakness.

dakotafloyd

This is its pilot run, so it's only available in select NC and SC markets.  I found mine at a Bi-Lo in Greenville, and it was one of maybe three left.  It's really tasty, though!  Scoop some up if ya see it!
21 Moreland Ave. NE
Atlanta, GA 30307

Phitney

Ah! Hopefully it's still left. I'm visiting my family in NC this weekend, so I will go on a hunt for it. How different from regular Cheerwine is it?

jer

Quote from: Phitney on December 18, 2014, 06:58:56 AM
How different from regular Cheerwine is it?

Hopefully a lot different. Cheerwine is the most overrated horseshit soda.
Anti-Creative Records sells some things.
http://www.anti-creative.com

Phitney

LIES!!! Cheerwine is the best

dakotafloyd

Mix Cheerwine with Canada Dry Ginger Ale (or any other basic ginger ale), and that's what it tastes like. It's pretty good! If it wasn't marked as being Cheerwine, I'm not sure I would have been able to recognize it as such, but again, it's worth trying.

It's been a huge hit so far, and I think they're going to really expand the market next year.
21 Moreland Ave. NE
Atlanta, GA 30307

dakotafloyd

Quote from: jer on December 18, 2014, 08:54:37 AM
Quote from: Phitney on December 18, 2014, 06:58:56 AM
How different from regular Cheerwine is it?

Hopefully a lot different. Cheerwine is the most overrated horseshit soda.

I think Cheerwine is tasty, but it's definitely overhyped.  I think it's cool that Cheerwine is still an independent, family-owned company, and I also think a lot of folks really latch onto it because 1) there aren't really many other purely cherry sodas (most are cherry cola or cherry plus some other flavor) and 2) Cheerwine is something that's this weird balance of being mainstream yet uncommon.  People know about Cheerwine and have maybe had it a time or two, but seldom see it on their store shelves.  For most of its life, Cheerwine has been a cool Southern thing (although its been popping up all over the place recently) and has this strange hype around it because of its almost geographically exclusive distribution map.
21 Moreland Ave. NE
Atlanta, GA 30307

Phitney

Honestly, I'm not sure I've experienced a huge hype over Cheerwine besides how much I love it. Most of the people I talk to about it say, "Oh yeah, that's a good soda" or they haven't heard of it. For me, it's made right near where I grew up and it was a huge part of my childhood when my dad and I would walk to the general store and buy Cheerwine in a glass bottle. That's a huge reason why I enjoy it besides, like Dakota said, it's one of the few fully cherry sodas out there and it's just tasty. I'm not entirely sure where this hype or even overhype of Cheerwine is coming from from other people?

jer

Maybe it's just from people babbling about it on this board, but it was talked about non-stop not too long ago like some holy grail of soda, and when I tried it in NC i was completely dissapointed.

dakotafloyd

Quote from: Phitney on December 19, 2014, 08:11:13 AM
Honestly, I'm not sure I've experienced a huge hype over Cheerwine besides how much I love it. Most of the people I talk to about it say, "Oh yeah, that's a good soda" or they haven't heard of it. For me, it's made right near where I grew up and it was a huge part of my childhood when my dad and I would walk to the general store and buy Cheerwine in a glass bottle.

You probably don't see the hype as much because you grew up in an area in which Cheerwine was pretty commonplace and seen around a lot.  For us East Coasters, I think of it in relation to Cactus Cooler.  I remember hearing about how awesome Cactus Cooler was for years, but never had the chance to try it because it's even more impossible to find on the East Coast than Cheerwine is on the West Coast.  When I finally tried it in Santa Barbara a few years ago, I was pretty underwhelmed.  It was good, but not the-best-soda-I've-ever-had-and-will-ever-have good like it had been hyped up to me.

When you boil it all down and remove all of the emotional associations with it, unless you get it in a glass bottle, Cheerwine's just another HFCS soda that happens to be decently tasty and also decently hard to find.
21 Moreland Ave. NE
Atlanta, GA 30307

jer

I had no idea Cactus Cooler was hard to find or hyped outside of the west. It's not that special, either.