just post

Started by hatmoose, April 24, 2018, 04:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hatmoose

since it's quiet around here i thought i'd make a casual conversation thread, to lower the barrier to entry.

just post whatever you want to talk about, if you don't feel like making a big ol topic.

i've been listening to old time radio shows all day at my office job. i have a lot of free time there. my big ones that i like are:

vic and sade, a short comedy program that is basically 3 people talking to each other about minor domestic issues. it ran for like 12 years and is the most sublime thing ever. i want to go to wisconsin to look at the collection of scripts they have at a library there. it has a lot of running jokes that give me that phat dopamine or whatever when i recognize them, it's pavlovian. it reminds me a lot of the jon wurster calls on the best show with tom scharpling

yours truly, johnny dollar - a mystery show about an insurance investigator. the framing device is that johnny dollar is recounting the expenses incurred over the course of the investigation. it's a good mix of seriousness, pulpyness, and humor for me. i like hearing everyone's dumb voices.

i'll post about other stuff when i remember it.

thanks for reading
ask me about my high score

momitsnowme

How did you get into that? The original podcasts, haha.

Speaking of podcasts, what are people listening to? I really like Judge John Hodgman and One Bad Mother. I listen to the kids podcast Story Pirates all the time too and enjoy it.

We're selling our house. It's stressful but exciting.

jer

I finished a second bachelors degree on Monday
Anti-Creative Records sells some things.
http://www.anti-creative.com

manmagic

I've owned 3 houses and I'm only 32, so I know how stressful selling and buying can be. Good thing the market is really really hot right now, at least it is where I live. You should be able to make some money if you didn't trash the place  ::).

momitsnowme

We actually put a lot of work into it so I hope it sells easily. The market is hot here too. We should probably be thinking more about buying since that might be harder but the selling is really preoccupying

hatmoose

i started listening to old time radio stuff after i heard a program on a radio station we have out here called WBAI- there's an old dude named 'max schmid' who does a 2 hour show every sunday of all different radio programs.

i think the first thing i heard was either something like suspense (which is just different random 'thriller' or 'mystery' or 'horror' plays) or an episode of jean shepherd's radio show (jean shepherd was this old guy who was popular out here 40 years ago- he's most famous now for being the writer / narrator of the movie 'a christmas story')

it's something that helps me pass the time at my place of employ, and also for like half the months out of the year i usually take long car rides on the weekend (i travel to a drive-in theater about 90 minutes away for most of their screenings)

as far as modern podcasts go, i like my brother my brother and me and all the other mcelroy content; they seem like genuinely nice people who are also super funny.

i actually listen to like a million podcasts so let me just break it down:

comedy:
the best show with tom scharpling - it's 3 hours long, it's super boring, it's the best show ever. the calls between tom and jon wurster are like the funniest thing ever. if you've never heard it, it was originally a radio show but it's basically tom being funny as hell, taking some calls, and hanging out. about once every episode a 'fake caller' calls in and does a really ridiculous routine with tom, and it's always the same guy doing different characters and it's the best
hollywood handbook - this one is weird, it's basically two guys in an improv contest to act the most stupid without blinking. nominally, it's an advice podcast about how to make it in this wild world we call 'showbiz'
the dollop - this one is not actually that funny most of the time but it's not stimulating enough to fit into any other category. it depends on what you find funny. in any case, it's two dudes talking about random stories from american history that are usually ridiculous or otherwise awful. i like the erik prince episode done recently.
chapo trap house - they say really awful dumb shit all the time but i still listen, i'm pretty starved of 'radical' content so i'll take basically anything

good brain podcasts-
citations needed - this one rules, it's two fellows going in-depth on PR bullshit and how very carefully, deliberate narratives are formed in the media. highly recommend, just pick an episode that sounds interesting
you must remember this - 'hollywood' history podcast by a really smart lady. tons of different topics. i recommend the manson series or the one about jane fonda / jean seberg
supporting characters - this one is small and just for film nerds but it's lengthy interviews with important subcultural figures in the 'genre film' scene. i recommend the tim lucas one, but only because i'm already a huge mario bava nerd
projection booth - for film nerds, this is probably the best film criticism podcast i've heard. it's not amazingly intellectual but they go out of their way to secure some really great interviews with people involved in productions

tabletop RPG:
the adventure zone - it's the mcelroy brothers playing board games (originally D&D, later others) with their dad; the first 'season' is something that i've listened to like 5 times (it's like 70+ hours long lol)
neoscum - a comedy / improv shadowrun podcast that is super embarrassing to recommend but i'm way into it. they have improv powers i've never witnessed
glass cannon podcast - fairly serious pathfinder podcast starring a friendly group of dudes, still lighthearted enough to not be a total slog

i also got big into audiobooks. i started listening to a bunch of genre stuff but i've branched out to non-fiction now. i've gotten through william gibson's sprawl trilogy (neuromancer fukken rules y'all), dune, snow crash (cool except for the awful """sex""" scene towards the end), tons of conan the barbarian short stories, etc. i'm finishing up the conquest of bread now.

i'm the podcast queen. i've listened to them all. i can recommend stuff if anyone is looking for anything

jer

i think dogs should vote

hatmoose

what would that look like in practice though? is it a button they lick or do they press it with their nose?

what's up with dog training, i heard clicker training is some wild shit. is it cute when someone trains their dog to shake hands?

Courtney

Clicker training was developed decades ago based on behavior analysis and it rules. It's been used more recently to help athletes such as gymnasts train each other.

hatmoose

i should learn one of the crafts that is mysterious to a lay person, like back massage or clicker training. i'm a total fool, if i hired someone for clicker training on craigslist and they showed up with the damn thing i'd be like "this is pretty legit. here's my billfold" before i even saw them wrangle a dog. huge market

thetrashisright

clicker training is just an improvement on positive reinforcement dog training. people will pay you to do it because they hate dogs until they're obedient which is pretty telling about our society.

amanda

Quote from: jer on April 28, 2018, 10:50:46 PM
i think dogs should vote

I know I voted for the boy mayor of Second Life and his vice president/best friend Totinos.

cat_mom_2004

hey everyone what's up

long time no post

whenever i listen to pop punk i miss this place and feel weirdly nostalgic

Joe

Quote from: amanda on May 27, 2018, 03:25:12 PM
Quote from: jer on April 28, 2018, 10:50:46 PM
i think dogs should vote

I know I voted for the boy mayor of Second Life and his vice president/best friend Totinos.

I binge watched the internet and now there are no inside jokes.

Joe

I have a tattoo on the palm of my hand that was inspired by a trip to Gainesville Fest with One Reason.  I'm pretty sure no one in that van thinks I'm a cool dude, though.

jer

Quote from: cat_mom_2004 on June 11, 2018, 11:34:24 AM
hey everyone what's up

long time no post

whenever i listen to pop punk i miss this place and feel weirdly nostalgic

Your username is still one of this board's best.

hatmoose

Quote from: Joe on June 11, 2018, 01:47:37 PM
I have a tattoo on the palm of my hand that was inspired by a trip to Gainesville Fest with One Reason.  I'm pretty sure no one in that van thinks I'm a cool dude, though.
i think about this (in an unhealthy way) sometimes, how much of my identity is like second hand from people who probably hate me now because i suck real bad

hatmoose

unrelated double post: i go to this drive in movie theater in pennsylvania most weekends in the summer now, it's pretty fun. they play old stuff and they have a barrel fire after the movies, they burn the extra popcorn if no one wants any. any of you dawgs ever get out to one of them bastards?

amanda

Here are some podcasts I like a whole lot:
The Boogie Monster with Kyle Kinane and Dave Stone
My Favorite Murder
The Adventure Zone
Cocaine & Rhinestones: The History of Country Music
My Brother, My Brother, and Me
Sawbones
Lady to Lady
Alice Isn't Dead
Within the Wires
Mother May I Sleep with Podcast
Small Town Murder
Crime in Sports
The Thrilling Adventure Hour
The JV Club
MonsterTalk
Lore
Wonderful
Buffering the Vampire Slayer

I liked most of The Black Tapes and Rabbits. I really liked the first couple seasons of TANIS, but now I think I might kind of be hate listening.

I like Welcome to Night Vale quite a bit, but am super behind and am unsure exactly where I left off so I keep thinking about starting again at the beginning, but haven't done it yet.

amanda

Non-podcast stuff:

My life has been in a weird, constant state of upheaval this year and it's really stressing me out/making my anxiety and depression real bad because my relative stability was a large part of what was helping me keep it together. So far this year I lost my health insurance in a string of dumb shit that were half my fault/half getting fucked by the company, got semi-secretly married in order to get on Rob's insurance, the building I've lived in for over ten years sold and our rent went up $250 a month as a result, the company I've worked at for almost 8 years got sold and now they've slashed hours, laid people off, done a bunch of really petty and infuriating shit, and I'm basically going to get bumped back down into the call center since their salaried data analysis team is scooping my job out from under me.

So now I'm going to be 31 in less than two weeks and I'm just clueless about what I'm doing and what I want to be doing and how to move forward.

hatmoose

cereal talk 2k18:

i would like religiously only eat rice krispies when i was eating cereal growing up, i would maybe dabble in some kix but only when necessary. i think i'm a quaker, cereal should be shitty and weird like rice krispies and not sweet and good like most cereal

thetrashisright

Quote from: amanda on June 15, 2018, 08:41:36 PM
Non-podcast stuff:

My life has been in a weird, constant state of upheaval this year and it's really stressing me out/making my anxiety and depression real bad because my relative stability was a large part of what was helping me keep it together. So far this year I lost my health insurance in a string of dumb shit that were half my fault/half getting fucked by the company, got semi-secretly married in order to get on Rob's insurance, the building I've lived in for over ten years sold and our rent went up $250 a month as a result, the company I've worked at for almost 8 years got sold and now they've slashed hours, laid people off, done a bunch of really petty and infuriating shit, and I'm basically going to get bumped back down into the call center since their salaried data analysis team is scooping my job out from under me.

So now I'm going to be 31 in less than two weeks and I'm just clueless about what I'm doing and what I want to be doing and how to move forward.

I will never not be frustrated by the dynamic of working for a company to the point where they are so successful they get purchased and then everyone who did the work gets fucked. It's so upsetting. I didn't love the job but I definitely needed it/a stable workplace and this happened to me a few years back. I never really recovered financially and professionally. I love that I can get Medicaid but I've had it cancelled three times because of widescale clerical issues so I just had gaps in my medication and psych visits (happened to a few friends also). Just the bare minimum of getting and staying on your feet is such a goddamn challenge apparently.

lindsey

hey i miss you guys but i get really sad every time i think about pix/chris

rory

I'm in a couple new music project that are about to record that I am very excited about. It feels good to be getting back into the swing of things, even though I'm 29 and sometimes feel silly for being a musician. I play guitar now and I'm extremely reluctant to call myself a guitar player, but I'm eventually going to have to get over it.

I also am in the early stages of potentially buying a house. It means saying goodbye to the house I've been in and running as a venue for over 7 years. I have really become who I am in and because of this house, and the prospect of leaving is sort of freaking me out. On the one hand, it's always been a rental, and therefore always seemed like it has to end at some point. On the other, I always had it in the back of my head that maybe my landlord would sell me this place. Well, it turns out, she would, but the price she wants for it considering the condition it's in is totally unreasonable. That reality is sinking in, and I found a place I'm starting to let myself fall in love with. A few of my housemates and my partner would come with me. Figuring out what the remaining people will do with the house, if anything at all, is weighing heavy on me. I don't want to leave anyone holding the bag on this rental, but I think considering the history and function of the house we can get people to move in. I worry about the house continuing to throw shows after me, even though I also love the idea of something continuing on beyond me. The house has never just been me, but especially in the last few years I have taken on the vast majority of the event running. I want to throw a big goodbye show for myself and the couple other housemates following, even if that seems big-headed. Growing up is strange.

I don't think about pix stuff a ton. I think the death of my own band and a split with a long time friend coinciding with everything revealing it's true shit self around pix creates just one big hole in my heart, but just like how I'm going to learn to move on from my house venue, I learned to carry on and define myself in other ways. Remembering pix stuff might start to happen more as I get back into booking, recalling some of my friends from other places, who knows.
Quote from: Winged Killick
I'm an anarchist, but I'm not going to drive ninety-five miles an hour down the road tossing illegal, invasive species of snakes from my car while texting and fraudulently doing my taxes.

ramblinrabble