r.i.p. FRED COLE (of dead moon, the rats, pierced arrows, the weeds, many more

Started by pronetoaccidents, December 04, 2017, 01:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pronetoaccidents

So Fred Cole was a legend and if you know about him, you know that and if you don't this would be a cool chance if you felt inclined to learn a bit about the man and his remarkable history.

the man literally played music since the 60s, raging garage punk and never stopped, making more raucous punk in the 70's/80's, before establishing Dead Moon which was just filthy, filthy, tribal punk rock n roll. like real primordial, chanting and dancing and drinking and banging in a graveyard type of ditties. Put out on an awesome d.i.y. label they started that always had a cool aesthetic.

He was married and played music with the same wonderful woman for OVER 50 years!! that's a long fucking time! and they seemed so playful and genuinely in love.. like in a random song they played a few years ago after decades of relationships and touring and substance abuse, he'd sing a line that was clearly about her, and play footsies onstage briefly and they'd smile at each other and it seemed like they were saying without saying "we did it. we proved them all wrong. rock n roll is real and love is real."
---------
"
Born in Las Vegas, Cole started his career as a member of '60s psychedelic garage-rock band The Weeds, who later changed their name to The Lollipop Shoppe. The band released only four singles and two albums during its short career, but its song "You Must Be A Witch" is prized among collectors thanks to its inclusion on the 1980 garage-rock compilation Pebbles, Vol. 8.

After relocating to Portland in the mid-'60s, Cole met his future wife, Kathleen "Toody" Conner, when she was working the door at a local venue. They married in 1967, and spent the next two decades in Alaska and the Portland suburb of Clackamas, Oregon, raising their three children and forming various bands.

In 1987, Fred and Toody Cole formed what would become their most well-known and longstanding collaboration, blues-influenced garage-punk band Dead Moon, with drummer Andrew Loomis. Although Dead Moon never broke through to the mainstream—and didn't really want to—they were staples of the Pacific Northwest punk scene and boasted a cult following in Europe. The many garage-punk bands that came after them, like Black Lips and Jay Reatard, as well as grungy Pacific Northwest acts like Mudhoney and Pearl Jam, are all in Dead Moon's stylistic debt.

------------------

so everything they did is really good but if you wanna find a good place to get a diverse mix of his stuff (and I've posted something along these lines over the years because i'm a huge fan, dead moon ink on my arm and all'a that for emphasis, but anyhow, this is from a great blog,http://www.remoteoutposts.blogspot.com , greg harvesters, and he compiled the best dead moon stuff (or at least just all ragers and beauties because it's almost impossible to pick a favorite) alongside other gems over the years from misc. bands of there's..

http://www.maximumrocknroll.com/mrr-radio-1583-5-1/

http://www.maximumrocknroll.com/mrr-radio-1583-5-2/

Enjoy. but like, actually do it, because you will. enjoy it that is.
Though lovers be lost love shall not.

dakotafloyd

Super old thread, but I've got so much respect for Fred Cole / Dead Moon.  They were a band that did things on their own terms nearly 100% of the time. 

Have you gotten a chance to see the huge Dead Moon coffee table book that Mississippi Records put out last year?  It's full of old flyers, photos, and comes with a double LP of "greatest hits" and some demos.  Really, really well put together.  A tad on the pricey side (~$60), but it's 300+ pages in full color.

21 Moreland Ave. NE
Atlanta, GA 30307