23/11/17 - 17:56 PM

Author Topic: Watcha readin?  (Read 1263 times)

jer

• Administrator
  • punx points +11/-1
  • King of the Castle
    • View Profile
    • Anti-Creative Records
Re: Watcha readin?
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2017, 02:44:06 PM »
CompTIA Project+ Study Guide: Exam PK0-004 by Kim Heldman
Anti-Creative Records sells some things.
http://www.anti-creative.com

jer

• Administrator
  • punx points +11/-1
  • King of the Castle
    • View Profile
    • Anti-Creative Records
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2017, 09:16:03 AM »
Database Systems: Design, Implementation, and Management (12th ed.) by Carlos Coronel and Steven Morris
Anti-Creative Records sells some things.
http://www.anti-creative.com

rory

• punx points +5/-1
  • punk as schmuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2017, 11:44:16 AM »
Recently finished:
Gay Berlin by Robert M. Beachy
Against The Fascist Creep by Alexander Reid Ross

Currently reading:
Antifa: The Anti-Fascist Handbook by Mark Bray
Radical Behaviorism: The Philosophy and the Science by Mecca Chiesa

I'm also thinking about starting Dune, but I'm not sure I can commit. Maybe that's a read for if I ever go on tour again.
Quote from: Winged Killick
I'm an anarchist, but I'm not going to drive ninety-five miles an hour down the road tossing illegal, invasive species of snakes from my car while texting and fraudulently doing my taxes.

https://anybodybutthecops.bandcamp.com/

rory

• punx points +5/-1
  • punk as schmuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2017, 08:22:37 PM »
Instead of reading Dune, I bought a few "a very short introduction" books on Post Structuralism, Derrida, and Foucault, as well as A Critical Introduction to Queer Theory by Nikki Sullivan. I have some writing that I want to do, but I have to make sure I know what I'm talking about first. I've read some Foucault and Butler, but I'm fairly rusty on theory stuff these days, especially considering the esoteric writing style of those particular theorists.
I'm an anarchist, but I'm not going to drive ninety-five miles an hour down the road tossing illegal, invasive species of snakes from my car while texting and fraudulently doing my taxes.

momitsnowme

• punx points +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2017, 08:36:47 PM »
Yessss! Sullivan is great and post structuralism is my thing. Let's nerd out

rory

• punx points +5/-1
  • punk as schmuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2017, 10:35:07 PM »
Oh neat, did you study this in school, or just sort of develop your own interest?

I had started reading queer theory in school, but it was pretty surface level look. I tried to dive in on my own a bit after graduating, but as you probably know or can imagine, a lot of these texts are pretty dense without cursory knowledge of other philosophers, the language around philosophy, or any sort of reading guide/discussion. I fell away from it for a few years, but with ideas around it kicking around in my head for awhile now.

Mainly when I was in school I studied behavior analysis, which is also still something I've kept an arms-length interest in even while not applying my degree. My ex is also in grad school for it right now, and we've spent a lot of time over the years bouncing ideas about behavior analysis around. I picked up one of her textbooks (the behavior book mentioned earlier) and it all sort of clicked into some lines of thought I had been thinking about earlier. I think the philosophy behind behavior analysis relates to or works in tandem with a lot of the concepts brought to light from post structuralism, at least the bits I had gleaned from some reading years ago. I've been wanting to write about behavior social/political theory that is coherent but also true and accurate to the tenets of the science of behavior analysis.

I'm not sure any of this at this point is coherent, but the plan is for it to someday be!

momitsnowme

• punx points +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2017, 08:49:13 PM »
I studied it in grad school! One of my major research projects was on post structuralism and the southern California punk scene.
It is definitely dense. Even after being immersed in the jargon I struggled reading a lot of it. I would recommend Disidentifications by Jose Esteban Munoz if you haven't seen it yet! There's a great collection of essays I'll have to find tomorrow too.

I know the basics of behavioral analysis but not enough to see the overlap so I'd definitely be interested in seeing your take!