catch up thread

Started by kw, July 06, 2016, 06:21:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kw

hey everyone, haven't chatted in a while. one of the things i value the most in the friendships i do have is the ability to not lose closeness despite long lapses in communication. it's nice to know you can care about people and not need to be constantly in their lives yet still maintain a closeness and fondness.

so, how you been?

kw

i posed the question, i'm happy to go first if anyones interested:

i am actually really well and busy while maintaining a pretty low key surrounding. its really working out for me. between running a vegan food business, playing in a band, and coming home to a house filled with a dog, four cats, and my partner... i have little to complain about, and that is a real privilege and sometimes a shock to be able to say. my partner and i are actually getting legally binded (aka married without the hoopla) on halloween, and it is exciting in a weird way. i've gotten worse at the internet and keeping up with whats going on / online communication, but i don't feel left out nor too distant and equally i don't feel too in the know and overwhelmed. its a nice balance.

xoxo
kw

pronetoaccidents

got out of rikers island again today after being out for only a week. relapsed pretty bad and waiting until the morning to check myself into a rehab. i'll be gone for awhile i suppose and i wish everyone the best.

i got to think a lot rolling on a floor for about a week going through full blown methadone, benzo and alcohol withdrawal and i'm ready to change just about everything. the only company i had was a nazi who i kept trying to ignore and he wouldn't stop telling me about why he was there, which was for apparently giving someone a "blood eagle". it's where you cut there back open with an axe, break open there spine, rip their lungs out the back so they flap like wings and make them walk a few steps until they die. it's some ancient viking ritual and if they can do it without screaming or crying they make it to valhalla. apparently he wasn't making it to valhalla.

but on a better note my best friend who's been clean for years is getting me a new guitar and when i get some day passes to get out were going to start up a new band. i've been doing a lot of writing and working on comics and now i'll have more time than ever and a clearer head to do so
Though lovers be lost love shall not.

BlakeK

Quote from: pronetoaccidents on July 06, 2016, 06:30:53 PM
got out of rikers island again today after being out for only a week. relapsed pretty bad and waiting until the morning to check myself into a rehab. i'll be gone for awhile i suppose and i wish everyone the best.

i got to think a lot rolling on a floor for about a week going through full blown methadone, benzo and alcohol withdrawal and i'm ready to change just about everything. the only company i had was a nazi who i kept trying to ignore and he wouldn't stop telling me about why he was there, which was for apparently giving someone a "blood eagle". it's where you cut there back open with an axe, break open there spine, rip their lungs out the back so they flap like wings and make them walk a few steps until they die. it's some ancient viking ritual and if they can do it without screaming or crying they make it to valhalla. apparently he wasn't making it to valhalla.

but on a better note my best friend who's been clean for years is getting me a new guitar and when i get some day passes to get out were going to start up a new band. i've been doing a lot of writing and working on comics and now i'll have more time than ever and a clearer head to do so
10 bucks says the Nazi is actually in on child molestation charges
Quote from: BlakeK on March 09, 2017, 06:59:37 PM
Having said that, I'd rather listen to Papa Roach than GG Allin

Anna Karina

I got promoted to an assistant producer position a few months ago and have been really enjoying actually being involved in something creative in this dumb industry after nine years of living here. It's reality TV but it's still cool being able to put together segments for the highest watched show on NatGeo. If you ever catch Wicked Tuna: Outer Banks while flipping channels (season premieres July 25th I think), I produced the segments for the boat with a one-armed captain. Woo!

Other than that, next month my family and I are taking a vacation up the coast to Monterey Bay and I'm going to FYF at the end of August. I have awesome friends, my cat meows all the goddamn time, and everybody should watch the movie Mustang. I basically only listen to Fiona Apple, Nick Cave, and Grouper these days and I haven't listened to any PIX bands in years aside from I listened to some Madeline last night while waiting for a movie to download. Madeline is still awesome.

momitsnowme

I'm almost 34 weeks pregnant with baby number two and am hot and tired but excited and happy!
I'm a certified birth doula now and have had 5 clients!
I'm mostly home with Jonas, which is awesome. We go to the park and the library and play with legos and trains and I get to be all domestic. I also just started teaching outdoor education/exploration classes for little kids, and it's super fun.
In the past few years I've written two novels and I'm pretty proud of them.
Since I only read the first 2 Harry Potter books as a kid I've been listening to the audio books and I'm on 6.

pronetoaccidents

sounds like everyones doing great and im really glad to hear that

BlakeK

Quote from: momitsnowme on July 07, 2016, 06:32:49 AM
I'm almost 34 weeks pregnant with baby number two and am hot and tired but excited and happy!
I'm mostly home with Jonas, which is awesome. We go to the park and the library and play with legos and trains and I get to be all domestic. I also just started teaching outdoor education/exploration classes for little kids, and it's super fun.
Since I only read the first 2 Harry Potter books as a kid I've been listening to the audio books and I'm on 6.
Have you tried to get the novels published? I'm sure everyone on the board would be interested in reading your novels. Is there a way for us to do so? I'd really like to write a book about the people I've known through the years and things that I've witnessed and been through. I'd have to change a lot of names in any such book and am not sure how people would take their depictions.

I have been a mental health counselor at a private practice in a city just south of Bloomington. I just got my license this past spring which means I can finally take commercial insurance as a private practitioner I've been married for a year and a half and have two stepchildren (boy and girl ages 16 and 11). My wife and I are trying to get pregnant but it may take a while. We have a cute but very clingy dog who has been with us for a little over a year. I'm always busy and feel like there is never enough time to get everything done.

lindsey

OMG KW I AM GETTING MARRIED ON HALLOWEEN TOO!

Besides that, which I barely ever think about and haven't started planning because I'm so freaking busy, I got my tattoo license in March and just got a job at an incredible shop with the most amazing artists/people. I am still working my "day job" 4 days a week and tattoo on the other 3 days, and it's been about a year and a half of working 7 day weeks. I am leaving that job to become a full time artist in August and it is the greatest accomplishment and most exciting thing that has ever happened to me. Starting in August I also get to start going to conventions with my tattoo shop crew, the first one being Seattle - does anyone PIXy live there still?? Anyway, tattooing is the best thing in my whole life, I finally feel so much passion and dedication to a medium after spending much of my life dabbling in different things. My partner is the best person in the world and after 6 months of devastating unemployment/intense depression, he got a new job that was just made permanent after being hired through a temp agency - doing scheduling at OHSU which is a really huge hospital here. He will be unionized and stuff, so his job is super secure which is so exciting for him. After toying with the idea of moving away from Portland, we both locked down incredibly amazing jobs so it looks like we'll be sticking around for at least 5 years or so, and the next big thing on the horizon is to move out of our shit hole apartment. The End!

Also if anyone is wondering, I never talk about it because I am still devastated, but I made the decision to find a new home for Rocket after he got really really intense anxiety when my schedule changed and I just didn't have the time or money to put him first. He is a happy boy getting all the attention he deserves now, but I miss him so much it hurts.

pronetoaccidents

oh yes, im a husband by the way too

BlakeK

kw

Quote from: lindsey on July 08, 2016, 12:17:03 PM

Besides that, which I barely ever think about and haven't started planning because I'm so freaking busy, I got my tattoo license in March and just got a job at an incredible shop with the most amazing artists/people. I am still working my "day job" 4 days a week and tattoo on the other 3 days, and it's been about a year and a half of working 7 day weeks. I am leaving that job to become a full time artist in August and it is the greatest accomplishment and most exciting thing that has ever happened to me. Starting in August I also get to start going to conventions with my tattoo shop crew, the first one being Seattle - does anyone PIXy live there still?? Anyway, tattooing is the best thing in my whole life, I finally feel so much passion and dedication to a medium after spending much of my life dabbling in different things. My partner is the best person in the world and after 6 months of devastating unemployment/intense depression, he got a new job that was just made permanent after being hired through a temp agency - doing scheduling at OHSU which is a really huge hospital here. He will be unionized and stuff, so his job is super secure which is so exciting for him. After toying with the idea of moving away from Portland, we both locked down incredibly amazing jobs so it looks like we'll be sticking around for at least 5 years or so, and the next big thing on the horizon is to move out of our shit hole apartment. The End!

Also if anyone is wondering, I never talk about it because I am still devastated, but I made the decision to find a new home for Rocket after he got really really intense anxiety when my schedule changed and I just didn't have the time or money to put him first. He is a happy boy getting all the attention he deserves now, but I miss him so much it hurts.

1: great minds get married alike. LOVE IT LINDS!
2: so proud for you and stoked you found your passion, makes me so stoked to hear.
3: whenever i end up on the west coast (my partner and i are planning to do a tour out there with our band sometime in the next few years if we can sneak away from our business) im gonna need to get tattoo'd by ya!

pronetoaccidents

I got married a few weeks ago. it's been a tumultuous whirlwind relationship

rory

PIXboard is growing up.

I've been taking testosterone for 10 months and it is one of the best decisions I have ever made. I feel so good about myself with my disgustingly awful facial hair and my goofy breaking voice. A large portion of my local community is adjusting and learning to use they/them pronouns for me, and I'm just so psyched on the whole ordeal. My band is also releasing a 7" and then going on tour for a month. I've never toured that long and I've never toured this route, so I'm so nervous but excited. My bandmates are my absolute best friends, spending this time with them is going to be so good. We're also playing PIXfest, so apparently I'm in a PIXband now. I still live at a house show spot, 5 years running now, and still live with my partner who is just now starting grad school for behavior stuff. It's making me consider grad school, too, but not for some time.

With all the good, I still feel pretty lost and directionless. Working 40 hours a week, even at a record store among friends, is getting to be a little soul crushing. My relationship, in spite of my absolute love for my partner, has taken some weird turns in the last couple of months that mostly have to do with my own emotional states.
Quote from: Winged Killick
I'm an anarchist, but I'm not going to drive ninety-five miles an hour down the road tossing illegal, invasive species of snakes from my car while texting and fraudulently doing my taxes.

RankResistance

I really wish I had something not entirely boring to throw out there. I'm Facebook friends with some of you. You already know.

Umm...I've been married for almost two years to the same person I was with back when this board was all about some hAM!. I just celebrated two years in the house I bought. I left Athens and moved 15 min out to maximize my house:money ratio. I miss Athens. We have two dogs, two cats, and a lot of knick-knacks and furniture you put together with a hex wrench.

I'm starting my 5th full year of being a high school English teacher. My first two years were miserable but I think I found my stride last year, so everything's okay on that front. I am going back to school in August to work (in addition to starting classes to get my Ed.S. in Curriculum Development). I "coach baseball" but I'm more of a figurehead with a teaching license than anything else.

Womp womp.

hatmoose

i'm in the same place i was however many years ago. i really want to get on hormones but i'm bad at doing everything. i don't really know what to do with myself

edit: that was a little dramatic. i'm not doing too badly
ask me about my high score

momitsnowme

Quote from: Anna Karina on July 06, 2016, 08:08:52 PM
I got promoted to an assistant producer position a few months ago and have been really enjoying actually being involved in something creative in this dumb industry after nine years of living here. It's reality TV but it's still cool being able to put together segments for the highest watched show on NatGeo. If you ever catch Wicked Tuna: Outer Banks while flipping channels (season premieres July 25th I think), I produced the segments for the boat with a one-armed captain. Woo!

Other than that, next month my family and I are taking a vacation up the coast to Monterey Bay and I'm going to FYF at the end of August. I have awesome friends, my cat meows all the goddamn time, and everybody should watch the movie Mustang. I basically only listen to Fiona Apple, Nick Cave, and Grouper these days and I haven't listened to any PIX bands in years aside from I listened to some Madeline last night while waiting for a movie to download. Madeline is still awesome.

wow, Brett! Congrats on all of that!

momitsnowme

Quote from: BlakeK on July 07, 2016, 07:08:11 PM
Quote from: momitsnowme on July 07, 2016, 06:32:49 AM
Have you tried to get the novels published? I'm sure everyone on the board would be interested in reading your novels. Is there a way for us to do so? I'd really like to write a book about the people I've known through the years and things that I've witnessed and been through. I'd have to change a lot of names in any such book and am not sure how people would take their depictions.

I have been a mental health counselor at a private practice in a city just south of Bloomington. I just got my license this past spring which means I can finally take commercial insurance as a private practitioner I've been married for a year and a half and have two stepchildren (boy and girl ages 16 and 11). My wife and I are trying to get pregnant but it may take a while. We have a cute but very clingy dog who has been with us for a little over a year. I'm always busy and feel like there is never enough time to get everything done.

I've submitted the first one to a few places and gotten several nos. I would really like to publish it, so I'm hoping it happens! I'm basically waiting for a while, waiting to get more nos, and if that keeps happening, I'll probably eventually self-publish.

Congrats on your license! How is it being a step parents to a teen and pre-teen? That sounds super intimidating. Why are you thinking it might take a while to get pregnant (if you don't mind sharing)? I know it can take couples without any issues up to a year. If you ever want to chat about that kind of thing, I'm happy to.

momitsnowme

Quote from: lindsey on July 08, 2016, 12:17:03 PM

I'm so excited for you and your tattooing! The stuff you've posted is amazing. I especially love all the moon-y stuff.

momitsnowme

Quote from: rory on July 10, 2016, 06:12:29 PM
PIXboard is growing up.

I've been taking testosterone for 10 months and it is one of the best decisions I have ever made. I feel so good about myself with my disgustingly awful facial hair and my goofy breaking voice. A large portion of my local community is adjusting and learning to use they/them pronouns for me, and I'm just so psyched on the whole ordeal. My band is also releasing a 7" and then going on tour for a month. I've never toured that long and I've never toured this route, so I'm so nervous but excited. My bandmates are my absolute best friends, spending this time with them is going to be so good. We're also playing PIXfest, so apparently I'm in a PIXband now. I still live at a house show spot, 5 years running now, and still live with my partner who is just now starting grad school for behavior stuff. It's making me consider grad school, too, but not for some time.

With all the good, I still feel pretty lost and directionless. Working 40 hours a week, even at a record store among friends, is getting to be a little soul crushing. My relationship, in spite of my absolute love for my partner, has taken some weird turns in the last couple of months that mostly have to do with my own emotional states.

Woohoo, testosterone and PIX fest! Hope the job and partner stuff look up soon.

momitsnowme

Quote from: RankResistance on July 10, 2016, 08:15:56 PM
I really wish I had something not entirely boring to throw out there. I'm Facebook friends with some of you. You already know.

Umm...I've been married for almost two years to the same person I was with back when this board was all about some hAM!. I just celebrated two years in the house I bought. I left Athens and moved 15 min out to maximize my house:money ratio. I miss Athens. We have two dogs, two cats, and a lot of knick-knacks and furniture you put together with a hex wrench.

I'm starting my 5th full year of being a high school English teacher. My first two years were miserable but I think I found my stride last year, so everything's okay on that front. I am going back to school in August to work (in addition to starting classes to get my Ed.S. in Curriculum Development). I "coach baseball" but I'm more of a figurehead with a teaching license than anything else.

Womp womp.

A degree in curriculum development sounds great! I've worked on curriculum/ pedagogy stuff for a couple of my jobs and always enjoyed it.

momitsnowme

Quote from: hatmoose on July 10, 2016, 10:39:09 PM
i'm in the same place i was however many years ago. i really want to get on hormones but i'm bad at doing everything. i don't really know what to do with myself

edit: that was a little dramatic. i'm not doing too badly

what do you feel is holdiing you back? like, more specifically than being bad at everything? haha

Anna Karina

skateandannoy

I'm glad to hear everyone seems to be doing well! Everyone is doing so much exciting stuff. I don't want to bring the mood down saying anything about myself but I'm glad for everybody. Did anyone from the board go to PIX Fest this year? I really wanted to go and meet ya'll.

https://deadformat.net/tradelist/anthemforadoomed

Quote from: tinybitsofheart on August 01, 2014, 06:53:17 AM
kinda weird how the earth continues to spin on its axis and everything eventually dies even when you don't want it to dang

hatmoose

Quote from: skateandannoy on July 14, 2016, 09:28:21 AM
I don't want to bring the mood down saying anything about myself but I'm glad for everybody.

tell us your problems it might help, we all love you
ask me about my high score