First cd you went and bought with your own money

Started by pronetoaccidents, March 04, 2016, 03:53:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pronetoaccidents

The blues brothers soundtrack ha. Wish it was a bit cooler. First show was kiss so that negates some
Though lovers be lost love shall not.

jer

probably Ugly Kid Joe or Aerosmith, and I don't know what's more embarrassing.
Anti-Creative Records sells some things.
http://www.anti-creative.com

rory

It was either Slint - Spiderand or Portishead - Dummy. They were bought close together so I don't remember which one was first.
Quote from: Winged Killick
I'm an anarchist, but I'm not going to drive ninety-five miles an hour down the road tossing illegal, invasive species of snakes from my car while texting and fraudulently doing my taxes.

BlakeK

Are we talking own money that I worked for or first with money given to me? My first tape was Michael Jackson-Thriller. My first CD was Kris Kross-Totally Krossed Out. I had a lot of John Mellencamp and Bon Jovi as a kid along with all of the Michael Jackson albums. I got Metallica's black album and Nirvana's Nevermind and then everything changed.

First with money I earned via a job, I have no idea.
Quote from: BlakeK on March 09, 2017, 06:59:37 PM
Having said that, I'd rather listen to Papa Roach than GG Allin

skateandannoy

https://deadformat.net/tradelist/anthemforadoomed

Quote from: tinybitsofheart on August 01, 2014, 06:53:17 AM
kinda weird how the earth continues to spin on its axis and everything eventually dies even when you don't want it to dang

skateandannoy

Quote from: pronetoaccidents on March 04, 2016, 03:53:33 PM
The blues brothers soundtrack ha. Wish it was a bit cooler. First show was kiss so that negates some
As far as I'm concerned this sentence should read:
First show was kiss ha wish it was a bit cooler. (But I bought) The blues brothers soundtrack so that negates some

kinda weird how the earth continues to spin on its axis and everything eventually dies even when you don't want it to dang

pronetoaccidents

Quote from: BlakeK on March 04, 2016, 05:46:16 PM

Are we talking own money that I worked for or first with money given to me? My first tape was Michael Jackson-Thriller. My first CD was Kris Kross-Totally Krossed Out. I had a lot of John Mellencamp and Bon Jovi as a kid along with all of the Michael Jackson albums. I got Metallica's black album and Nirvana's Nevermind and then everything changed.

First with money I earned via a job, I have no idea.
My case was allowance money. Dollar a week. Some people bought such cooler ones

Aaron

The first tape I bought was the Foo Fighters self-titled.  I can't remember my first CD...Third Eye Blind or Goo Goo Dolls probably

RankResistance

Most likely some country tape. Garth Brooks' "In Pieces" is jumping out at me, though I could be wrong.

First CD, not sure. Probably some Grammy Nominees compilation. Or maybe A Boy Named Goo?

Joe

The first music I purchased with birthday money was J. Giles Band - Rage in the Cage/Angel is the Centerfold on 45.

I was 6 or something.  jumped around on couches raging in the cage. lol.

cassette was Run-DMC - Raising Hell.  probably 10 years old.

CD was Rage Against the Machine - probably 18 or 19.

BlakeK

Quote from: jer on March 04, 2016, 04:23:52 PM
Aerosmith-Get a Grip was also one of my first CDs. I used to order CDs from Columbia House, BMG, and CDHQ which were CD clubs where they offered 10 CDs for $1 with the understanding that you'd buy a set amount of CDs from them that were overpriced. It was all good when I received the first 6 until they had a shipping and handling charge of over $20. I freaked out the first time it happened until my mom told me they couldn't hold contract with a minor and called to complain that they sent her 11 or 12 year old CDs that had explicit lyrics stickers. I got to keep the CDs and this turned into a nice little racket after me and my friends learned we didn't need our moms to call and could just tell them for ourselves . The point of this was I got a shitload of CDs for a few bucks. Does anyone else remember Columbia House or BMG?

skateandannoy

Quote from: BlakeK on March 06, 2016, 05:09:37 PM
Aerosmith-Get a Grip was also one of my first CDs. I used to order CDs from Columbia House, BMG, and CDHQ which were CD clubs where they offered 10 CDs for $1 with the understanding that you'd buy a set amount of CDs from them that were overpriced. It was all good when I received the first 6 until they had a shipping and handling charge of over $20. I freaked out the first time it happened until my mom told me they couldn't hold contract with a minor and called to complain that they sent her 11 or 12 year old CDs that had explicit lyrics stickers. I got to keep the CDs and this turned into a nice little racket after me and my friends learned we didn't need our moms to call and could just tell them for ourselves . The point of this was I got a shitload of CDs for a few bucks. Does anyone else remember Columbia House or BMG?
I don't personally remember them but I've heard similar stories. CH just filed for bankruptcy last year and are now trying to cash in on the vinyl trend.

jer

Man, I always wanted to do those but my mom wouldn't let me because she knew there was a catch. If only I could have told her about the minor-entering-contract loophole.

A loophole we would later use when I racked up late fees on my dope 90s beeper/pager.
Anti-Creative Records sells some things.
http://www.anti-creative.com

momitsnowme

My grandma signed me up for cds through one of those too and they let her out of the contract when she called to complain.

ramblinrabble

manmagic

pronetoaccidents

was that those things that had a huge list of cds and "for a dollar you get every cd ever" but then the catch was you had to buy every cd ever

rory

Quote from: Winged Killick
I'm an anarchist, but I'm not going to drive ninety-five miles an hour down the road tossing illegal, invasive species of snakes from my car while texting and fraudulently doing my taxes.

BlakeK

Another early purchase on CD was The Beastie Boys-Ill Communication. I don't know how the Beastie Boys stayed cool for so long but damn it they did. I have always loved this performance and was excited as shit when I was young and saw this on the VMAs. Anytime the censors missed something as a kid was a reason to rejoice.

http://youtu.be/m-V6eXlDK2E

CrackyMcCrackerson

I don't remember the first one I bought with my own money but I do remember being pretty happy I got Alanis Morrisette's Jagged Little Pill for Christmas one year.  I was like... 10 or something.

pronetoaccidents

momitsnowme

Jagged little pill was my first cd too..also for Christmas when I was 10. And yeah, it is still great!

dakotafloyd

Blink 182 - Enema of the State and The Offspring - Americana on the same day.
21 Moreland Ave. NE
Atlanta, GA 30307

BlakeK

Quote from: pronetoaccidents on March 07, 2016, 10:46:05 AM

was that those things that had a huge list of cds and "for a dollar you get every cd ever" but then the catch was you had to buy every cd ever
Yes it was. The flier was usually in magazines such as Rolling Stone

BlakeK

Quote from: manmagic on March 07, 2016, 05:18:13 AM
Papa Roach - Infest

What a depressing answer.
It wasn't my first CD by any means but I did own this album. I was 17 so I should have known better.