Music that you like that you assume people on the board hate

Started by BlakeK, March 01, 2016, 07:17:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlakeK

I've been listening to a lot of metal from the 90s and early 00s lately. I didn't know what to call this thread, I just want to talk about how cool Pantera were and how I have been listening to Slipknot this evening....and enjoying it! I loved Slipknot when their first album came out and thought Iowa was a great album as well. While not as great as I remember, I still find a lot of the music I liked when I was 16 or 17 enjoyable. Banda like the Deftones, Tool, Nine Inch Nails, Marilyn Manson, and the like we're so awesome when I was younger and I like to throw them on along with the typical 90s grunge that I always go on about. Does or did anyone like the type of music I'm talking about? Do people understand that the above bands were not on the same low level as Limp Bizkit, Nickelback, Trapt, Hoobastank, Staind, and the like? I will admit I was into Staind when they first came out and as is the case with a lot of the music I listened to then, I can't listen to them now. I always loved punk music and can listen to nearly all of the punk bands now that I listened to then.
Quote from: BlakeK on March 09, 2017, 06:59:37 PM
Having said that, I'd rather listen to Papa Roach than GG Allin

pronetoaccidents

Live, particulary the obligatory lightning crashes heh
Bush (machinehead, glycerine.. still can bump them)
Blink 182
GG Allins acoustic outlaw country stuff
philip glass (i doubt a composer counts as a band.)
I still have a soft spot for some "post rock" (jesus christ i've always felt like such a douche saying that) bands
Though lovers be lost love shall not.

ramblinrabble

rory

I get into prog stuff a whole lot, and used to listen to Phish tons back in high school. I could probably still enjoy it, honestly.

All things considered, for how much of a fan of music I am and how much of my life is spent thinking about music, I have pretty awful taste.
Quote from: Winged Killick
I'm an anarchist, but I'm not going to drive ninety-five miles an hour down the road tossing illegal, invasive species of snakes from my car while texting and fraudulently doing my taxes.

Joe

I really enjoy turntablism. Like Q-bert, or even experimental folks like Christian Marclay.  I'm fascinated by the use of a playback device as an instrument.  It is like hacking and jazz. 

I also like FRNTRNNR, but i think it is because they are such failures at self-promotion and anything that has to do with being a band. I mean, their music sounds good under water and that's about it.

jer

Anti-Creative Records sells some things.
http://www.anti-creative.com

jer

Quote from: Joe on March 02, 2016, 03:42:15 PM
FRNTRNNR

you're fucking kidding yourself if you think the majority of this board aren't RNNR-heads.

RNNRHDS?

pronetoaccidents

BlakeK

Quote from: jer on March 02, 2016, 04:11:13 PM
NIN 4 evar
I had so many nine inch nails shirts in junior high and high school. It wasn't because they were my favorite band (though they were great) they just had really awesome shirts. My favorite back then was one that had the NIN in lower case letters and said "now I'm nothing". I was good at being a depressed goth/grunge kid in junior high. I dropped the goth stuff in high school and went with a grunge/punk combo.

Nine Inch Nails were awesome, though. It was my goal to have all of the "halos" but living in a small town pre-Internet made that an impossible task. If you know what I mean by halos, you are definitely old and cool at the same time.

jer

Does he still do the halo system on the new releases?

He better or all is lost.

pronetoaccidents

Tool, System of a Down (i like toxicity still heh), and queens of the stone age. they fucking rule and it's awesome they actually had a "hit" and it wasn't shit

BlakeK

BlakeK

Quote from: pronetoaccidents on March 03, 2016, 09:51:04 AM
Tool, System of a Down (i like toxicity still heh), and queens of the stone age. they fucking rule and it's awesome they actually had a "hit" and it wasn't shit
I liked System of a Down when they first came out. I remember being on acid with some friends driving along aimlessly in the middle of the nigh and Sugar came on the radio unedited. Everyone loved it.

Tool put on the best concert I've ever seen. Trippiest shit I've ever seen in person.

skateandannoy

Quote from: Joe on March 02, 2016, 03:42:15 PM
I also like FRNTRNNR, but i think it is because they are such failures at self-promotion and anything that has to do with being a band. I mean, their music sounds good under water and that's about it.
I dunk my head underwater and listen to the new LP all the time.

Quote from: pronetoaccidents on March 02, 2016, 10:36:00 AM
"post rock"
Post rock kicks ass. Caspian is like the best band in the world.
https://deadformat.net/tradelist/anthemforadoomed

Quote from: tinybitsofheart on August 01, 2014, 06:53:17 AM
kinda weird how the earth continues to spin on its axis and everything eventually dies even when you don't want it to dang

pronetoaccidents

Quote from: BlakeK on March 03, 2016, 07:07:16 PM
Quote from: pronetoaccidents on March 03, 2016, 09:51:04 AM
I liked System of a Down when they first came out. I remember being on acid with some friends driving along aimlessly in the middle of the nigh and Sugar came on the radio unedited. Everyone loved it.

Tool put on the best concert I've ever seen. Trippiest shit I've ever seen in person.

i will do my best at making a semi-relevant long story short..

so Tool. so yeah, i had this super rich junkie friend for a bit. he snapped his fingers, mommy bought him a brownstone in brooklyn, etc. moving on. anyhow, his family were "dead heads", super into acid and only got the purest. The fridge was filled with visine bottles of liquid,  they also had saved a batch of the Owley Stanley acid which was only broken out on the rarest of occasions. barely a hit had me, well, you know what acid does and if you don't, you don't. but it was a few sheets, all drawn and illustrated by Maynard. It was so beautiful I wanted to frame it but of course we gobbled it up and bumped Sober.

still ill..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZBpfzy9Gbg

momitsnowme

Quote from: pronetoaccidents on March 02, 2016, 10:36:00 AM
Live, particulary the obligatory lightning crashes heh
Bush (machinehead, glycerine.. still can bump them)
Blink 182
GG Allins acoustic outlaw country stuff
philip glass (i doubt a composer counts as a band.)
I still have a soft spot for some "post rock" (jesus christ i've always felt like such a douche saying that) bands

I had a Live phase in 9th grade and still enjoy them when I hear them. I'll always love Blink 182.

BlakeK

I think it was mandatory to have Lives Throwing Copper as a teen in the 90s. I was always "meh" with Blink 182 but I think it was due to my age. Green Day occupies that place in my heart.

ramblinrabble

skateandannoy

https://deadformat.net/tradelist/anthemforadoomed

Quote from: tinybitsofheart on August 01, 2014, 06:53:17 AM
kinda weird how the earth continues to spin on its axis and everything eventually dies even when you don't want it to dang

kw

i've seen sting live probably 15 times. not with the police, just him.
the tragically hip
slipknot

manmagic

I listen to alot of Christian artist still from tooth and nail and solid state records in the early 2000s.

beloved, stretch armstrong, xlooking forwardx, ten33, further seems forever, anberlin etc

pronetoaccidents

pronetoaccidents

And the warning greenday album in particular. Church on sunday rocks

kw

Quote from: manmagic on March 10, 2016, 10:47:23 AM
I listen to alot of Christian artist still from tooth and nail and solid state records in the early 2000s.

beloved, stretch armstrong, xlooking forwardx, ten33, further seems forever, anberlin etc

you ever get into that band terminal? how the lonely keep was such a solid christian emoish record from that period