Plan-It-X Records, and also our youth, is officially dead.

Started by lindsey, January 05, 2016, 05:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lindsey

Via Chris' fb:

"After much consideration over the last two or three years, I have decided to surrender plan-it-x records. Plan-it-X will not be releasing any more music in a physical format. It is not financially possible for me to do this anymore. In my opinion concept of the record label is no needed. Bands can do it themselves which is what this scene has always been about for me. Sam and I only started this label to help bands that could not afford to release their own music or had no interest in doing mail order themselves. We just released music for bands that we fell in love with, and wanted the world to hear. It was a passion, a community, not a business. We served a purpose at the time. Plan-it-x is no longer needed. I also refuse to give in to the social media push to be more aggressive and advertise and market our bands. The D.I.Y. punk scene has always meant so much more to me than that. I have tried to grow and change with the times but I'm really not feeling it. I also think that if Sam was here today, she would agree with me. She felt these things long before I did. I believe it would dishonor her memory to keep going.

The catalog will stay active for a few months, so if you want to buy something do it soon. After that, P.I.X. releases will be available from No Idea Records. They have a P.I.X. section in their distro catalog. The bandcamp will remain up for a while, unless I start to feel weird about it.  If you're reading this as an active P.I.X. band, and would like your records, contact me and you can have them. I've very grateful to all the bands that have been a part of P.I.X. and I regret that this might be the first you have heard about the end.

Also, I regret to announce that there will not be a Plan-it-X fest this year, I know I told many people that I was 90% sure their would be, but I don't think it's a good idea. I'm not saying there will never be another one, but there will not be one in 2016.

I'm very sorry if this news makes you sad, it makes me very sad too. It has taken me a very long time to come to this conclusion, to admit that the thing I have devoted twenty one, or twenty two years of my life to is no longer possible.

I look forward to moving on to something new and feeling inspired again soon. I'm open to suggestions (please don't suggest that I keep doing P.I.X. unless you can pay for all the records to be released and maybe help out with storage of those records that won't sell).

With the most sincerity possible, I want to thank all of the AMAZING people that have been involved with P.I.X. over the years. I mean everyone: bands, helpers, record assemblers, people who wrote nice letters, all the people that helped me move heavy boxes of records, other labels and distros that allied with P.I.X. and everyone that came to plan-it-x fest and everyone that worked at any P.I.X. fest.

I am so grateful for the friends I have made over these years because of this record label. Thank you.  -chris"

Fml

pronetoaccidents

I saw it earlier.. Whats to come of us? No new folks so we gotta hang on.

Its sad. The world is killing what was good about the world I was too young to really grasp
Though lovers be lost love shall not.

Anna Karina

jer

Anti-Creative Records sells some things.
http://www.anti-creative.com

ramblinrabble

Graphix

I say we keep the board up. Maybe we can start doing more informal "pix board" hang outs?

I'd be down to lay in some grass by the mountains near a stream or something for a day or two in the summer.

pronetoaccidents

yeah, i wouldn't object to a lsd fueled picnic in some beautiful misty valley with seraphims and cherubs filling in on harps for the folk bands that aren't real anymore

pronetoaccidents

i'm hanging on to my pix stuff, not that i wouldn't, but just for the resurgence and rediscovery of them, when i'm old and it's the most popular form of music, and everyone will just have it on their futuristic devices (i-Halos or something.. something that floats around your head and plays any song it knows you would want to hear that second) so the old formats might be worth a pretty penny.

it just makes me feel sad at the world, sad about life, old and upset.. i see it as an acquiescence, a battle uphill to maintain a label and i hear where chris is coming from, i just hope people fight to make something like pix.

if i where chris i would be a very content individual. all i want is to make some type of mark and reach people. he reached probably more than he knows. well, i can't say that, i'm sure he's aware of his labels impact.. but it saved my life at times, sure it saved some others.

R.I.P. Plan-It-X

But yeah, i thought it happened like 4 years ago too ha. weren't there like 5 times were there was super sales because the label was getting yanked?

skateandannoy

Not to be a negative nancy, but I feel like the label could keep going it it was signing some new artists, or doing collaborations with other labels to do releases. I feel terrible because I love PIX but I also haven't been interested in this round of artists and haven't bought much new stuff for that reason. Either way, I'm glad Chris is happy with whatever he's doing.

RIP PIX I miss you already.
https://deadformat.net/tradelist/anthemforadoomed

Quote from: tinybitsofheart on August 01, 2014, 06:53:17 AM
kinda weird how the earth continues to spin on its axis and everything eventually dies even when you don't want it to dang

jerkemy

Quote from: Graphix on January 06, 2016, 10:55:08 AM
I say we keep the board up. Maybe we can start doing more informal "pix board" hang outs?

I'd be down to lay in some grass by the mountains near a stream or something for a day or two in the summer.

i mean this has basically been a general punk rock message board the whole time anyway; I see no reason to take it down now

jer

jer

lindsey

Quote from: skateandannoy on January 06, 2016, 03:39:53 PM
Not to be a negative nancy, but I feel like the label could keep going it it was signing some new artists, or doing collaborations with other labels to do releases. I feel terrible because I love PIX but I also haven't been interested in this round of artists and haven't bought much new stuff for that reason. Either way, I'm glad Chris is happy with whatever he's doing.

RIP PIX I miss you already.

Yeah I think it was more of a "running this label just isn't my jam anymore" vs a "keep it running by any means necessary" type situation

I'm sad, but so happy to have basically grown up with the music and people and especially the ethics and politics. I can't believe I joined the first pix board like 12 years ago. That's almost half my life!

What I am stoked for is to scrape together as much cash as I can to send in one more order and a letter to chris about how much pix means/meant to me. I hope he sees an overwhelming show of appreciation for his contribution to each of our lives. We've seen him work his ass off for years, grow the label, and never compromise his radical ethics, and that is pretty remarkable.

I honestly would love to make this threat like a yearbook of everyone's favorite PIX related memories, be it shows/bands/fests/songs/meetings of future spouses  etc. Photos encouraged! PLEASE?? Goooooooo!

Anna Karina

Probably my most cherished memory of PIX was meeting Jer and him not remembering it ever happened.

Heathers was pretty cool too.

manmagic

The two PIX fests I went to were beyond fun.

My favorite PIX show outside of PIX fest was when Ghost Mice and Onsind were playing my town and they decided to do a matinee show at a local park before the main show that night. Four people including myself showed up, but onsind still played all my favorite songs.

Someone from this board once gave me a banjo for free. I drove up to Dayton and waited almost an hour for them to get off work, but they didn't want anything for it and it was a really nice banjo, I don't think they post here anymore, but that was a really nice gesture.

Dozens of other PIX shows I have fond memories of and I'm stoked to have a fair amount of their releases on CD/Vinyl.

Interested to see what Chris does next. While PIX will be tough to top, he always seems to put his heart and soul into things. Even though some of his other ventures haven't gone as well, it has never stopped him from trying, which is more than can be said about most people, including myself.

momitsnowme

2008? The Trilby/fedora campaign
2007 My mom joining the board to look for me in Europe
2007 Ghost Mice show in Paris and having Gael come through and meet me at a metro stop in a strange city and give me a place to stay
2007 or 08 Eric Ayotte and Paul Baribeau show in Greensboro and then root beer floats after
2007 The Fest 6..meeting my future husband, haha. The pix showcase by the bakery was so good
2008 or 09 Ghost Mice and Heathers in LA with Brett
Every Defiance, Ohio show, ever
Janelle, Skuyler, Jer, and I seeing Defiance and Max Levine Ensemble in Long Beach at a weird warehouse with a giant Ron Paul sign
So many best friends, visiting all over and from all over. Wes, KW, Erica, Janelle, Jeremy, Sami
KW playing at a park by our house
2011? Chris, Gary, and Adrian staying with us for like 3 days while they played all over southern California
2011? Pix fest.
Screaming with Sami to Good Luck
2012 All the pix people at our wedding
2015 taking Jonas to see Nana Grizol and Toby Foster

momitsnowme

Whoever made that big database with all the stuff we could edit about each member

momitsnowme

Everyone changing the naked picture of me and jer, haha

momitsnowme

The recipes thread was great. I've made that peanut tofu from jp so many times

momitsnowme

BlakeK

If Chris does want the PIX name taken off of the board, is there a way to just change the name of the board? This is sad. Chris seems like he's lost some motivation and passion (me saying that doesn't have to do with him ending PIX but rather other things he said). I hope he's happy and finds inspiration soon.

I know not a lot of people post on the board anymore but I'm glad it's still here. I'd love to meet most if not all of the people in the board (sans a certain person who may or may not wear tight pants) and hope that I'm able to at some point in the future. I now regret not taking time off from work to go to PIX Fest at least one year.
Quote from: BlakeK on March 09, 2017, 06:59:37 PM
Having said that, I'd rather listen to Papa Roach than GG Allin

Anna Karina

manmagic

yeah this place doesn't even register on his radar.

However you may still get to go to pix fest yet, because while he said he is done with the label, he isn't ruling out another pix fest down the road.