bi-polar/ abilify

Started by pronetoaccidents, January 04, 2016, 12:58:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pronetoaccidents

I was wondering if anyone is diagnosed (it's obviously a personal matter so feel free to maintain anonymity if you desire) with bi-polar. It makes sense why in the past anti-depressants hadn't worked on me but I'm not sure if it's the right diagnosis. It's hard because there's no scientific proof, in the sense of something you can see with your eyes, a part of the brain that's afflicted, etc. They just have to go by what I say, and it's not easy to describe your worst aspects...

anyhow, I just feel this because I don't really have the maniac phases. I have maniac moments throughout a day of mostly depression.. does that count? I'm afraid because I'm on a regiment of drugs that have side effects

anyone have luck with abilify? the wellbutrin alone isn't cutting it.
Though lovers be lost love shall not.

Courtney

Wellbutrin is known to cause manic episodes in bipolar patients, so if you have a suspicion you have bipolar disorder, looking into a different anti-depressant is advisable. Beyond that, it's expensive, but I'd recommend getting evaluated by a psychiatrist.

pronetoaccidents

Yeah its through a psych I see once a month and therapy once a week. That's what scares me, doctors don't always do their homework

BlakeK

Quote from: pronetoaccidents on January 05, 2016, 03:42:46 PM
Yeah its through a psych I see once a month and therapy once a week. That's what scares me, doctors don't always do their homework
Good for you, Ryan! I'm glad you're getting help.

I have several clients for who Abilify works well. Most of those clients are not diagnosed bipolar and don't meet the criteria. They generally have significant difficulties controlling/regulating emotions, most commonly the anger and depression combo.
Quote from: BlakeK on March 09, 2017, 06:59:37 PM
Having said that, I'd rather listen to Papa Roach than GG Allin

pronetoaccidents

Thanks. And that helps even more. I have pent up aggression that I turn inward so it should help even more. I was worried because I heard of weight gain but it beats being miserable. And people mention creativity and I was worried too but I realize im so depressed I hardly write so it's just excuses to stay in comfort zone of misery but im ready to change

BlakeK

I think you'll still be as creative and really don't believe medications affect creativity as much as some say. Even if it did, I would prefer to be happy than to be creative. What's the fun in creating if you're miserable? I do think it's highly possible that being off drugs will hinder your creativity somewhat just because it's probably something you associate with using and also may be hard to get in the mood to create music when you're making so many changes. The desire to create music will return once you've gotten a good handle on things.

pronetoaccidents

and it's a stupid concern, but for some reason the weight aspect really worries me.. i don't think it would help my self esteem if i blow up like a balloon. When I was in a dual-diagnosis rehab in florida they had me on 600 mg of serequel along with buspar and effexor and i gained about 40 pounds.

but it's gotten to the point where i don't really have a choice. My mood swings have gotten worse, every day is constant absurd fluctuations. One second I'm so enthusastic about life and what it entails that i have to run into a 99 cent store to buy a planner (do people even still use them?) because i have so many random ideas and things i want to accomplish that i need to jot them down that second, and the next i could be vacant i randomly cry, have really explosive and angry thoughts, don't even care that i'm short on the rent, etc.

i suppose for years i acted as if i was some fucking martyr, that artists had to take the hard backstreets. that madness and misery were perquisites. it's time i got my head out of my literary heroes asses and lived a real life and at least made attempts at doing everything i could to make myself happy so i don't have to periodically post depressing blogs hurling my misery to anyone unfortunate enough to open a post of mine. Many of you, and some particular individuals especially, been very patient and helpful and supportive

BlakeK

None of your concerns are stupid. I think everyone understands how weight gain can affect a person's self esteem. The good news is that you're aware that it's going to happen so you can plan to exercise and change your diet. When I got sober and started medications I gained weight and had to start exercising just to keep the extra weight off. I still go on 4 or so walks a day with my dog to help stay at a weight that doesn't make me feel like a glob of goo.

Try to establish a new routine and new patterns. Explore new interests. It has been critical for me to stay busy

avivaaeelena

yes, i'm diagnosed bipolar. i'm taking lamictal. it's... okay. i think i need a higher dose, but i think i missed my re-eval this week because i need a higher dose lmao. i tend to be more depressive than manic, i do have my manic phases but it isnt a 1:1 thing, and i think a lot of my mania will be as much manic trends as they are incidents. i'll be depressed and suicidal, but also move through the world in a manic trend, making irresponsible or impulsive decisions and plans over a course of time. i guess that's what they call a mixed state. but my psych said lamictal is good for mood stabilization in ways that ssris wouldn't be for me, in his opinion. i'm not sure if this is helpful at all?

Courtney

Lamictal is a great med, since it has far fewer side effects than other mood stabilizers. All anti-depressants can cause manic episodes, so the goal is for bipolar patients to come off of them. There are a few other short-term drugs to help when your mood stabilizer isn't enough, though. Anti-psychotics like abilify, seroquel, etc. can be used to treat bipolar disorder, but they're not the go-to because of their many side effects.

I'm not sure if this makes sense. I had a few dranks at brunch.