Tender Defender (members of Latterman new project) - plus brief recollections

Started by pronetoaccidents, September 21, 2015, 11:17:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pronetoaccidents

growing up on Long Island, I didn't realize at the time how lucky I was. The basement shows were great of course, but it took hindsight, a decade and a half or so's worth, to realize what exactly I, we, everyone was a part of. one show in particular in the early 2000's, was Against Me!, Latterman, Bent Outta Shape, Solidarity Pact and my shitty little band. Anyhow, I'm excited about this, more than any post-latterman projects which are, were, quite a lot..

"It all goes back to Latterman. There's a sound and a vibe going around in punk right now—the sort of triumphant, melodic gruff-anthems that lean heavily on the "woah-ohs," the fingerpoints, and the feel-good shoutbacks. Many would argue that you can trace it all back to one band: Latterman.

After their demise in 2007, the members of the beloved Long Island band went on to play in or inspire a long line of other acts—RVIVR, Iron Chic, Bridge & Tunnel, and pretty much any other name you'd see listed on the Fest lineup. Now, as if out of nowhere, three members of Latterman have returned to announce Tender Defender, a new project that arose naturally from hangout sessions.

Tender Defender has just released a peek into what they've been working on and DEAR GOD will the beardos get stoked on this. "Hello Dirt" is Phil Douglas, Mattie Jo Canino, and Pat Schramm reminding everyone why they are the undisputed godparents of this sound. Dig in below on this new song, which is set to be released on a still untitled mini-LP via Dead Broke Rekerds.

Tender Defender will also play their first show ever this month. Flyer below. See you there"
Though lovers be lost love shall not.

Aaron

Yeah, I've been super addicted to the new song.  Latterman had a huge influence on me growing up.  It's cheesy to say, but I literally would not be who I am today without their music.  So it really means a lot to hear new music by them.  I remember I was really displeased when they cancelled a show at a teen center in CT.  But I still got to see them play in a living room outside DC towards the end of their career.

I guess I've always been a fan of Long Island and NY punk.  It's probably not exactly the same crowd but were you ever into Two Man Advantage?

pronetoaccidents

yeah i do actually. they still play. still dress up and do the whole hockey punx thing. last time i saw them we were doing a show together on Randall's island.

you can find a bunch of good l.i. bands here.. http://hereonthisisland.blogspot.com/2010/10/scent-of-human-historythe-lazer-split.html

that scent of human history/the lazer (jamie from bent outta shape/bossy/tender wizards/radio faces) split has been a favorite for years
Though lovers be lost love shall not.