Bad Religion Fans (rank the studio albums)

Started by pronetoaccidents, September 04, 2015, 11:10:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pronetoaccidents

This will probably be a thread that maybe one person, two if i'm lucky will engage in or are interested but hey, sorry!

I've never outgrow certain bands.. op ivy, (spent last night listening to the rancid/nofx split where they cover each others songs), Pulley, No use for a name, etc... but bad religions a partciularly special one.. 1 being my favorite and i'll go from there..

1) Suffer
2) Generator
3) No Control
4) Against the Grain
5) How could hell be any worse?
6) Against the Grain
7) The Process of Belief
8) Recipe for Hate
9) The Empire Strikes First
10) Stranger than Fiction
11) The Gray Race
12) Into the Unknown

As for Post Empire Strikes First (which came out in 2004) that was the last time I listened to their new releases. There was 4 since then, Maps of Hell, Dissent of Man, and True North since then which I haven't heard and if anyone has and their good lemme know. I intenionally left out New America And No Substance because I thought they were pretty miserable.

anyhow, yeah.
Though lovers be lost love shall not.

BlakeK

Quote from: pronetoaccidents on September 04, 2015, 11:10:27 AM
This will probably be a thread that maybe one person, two if i'm lucky will engage in or are interested but hey, sorry!

I've never outgrow certain bands.. op ivy, (spent last night listening to the rancid/nofx split where they cover each others songs), Pulley, No use for a name, etc... but bad religions a partciularly special one.. 1 being my favorite and i'll go from there..

1) Suffer
2) Generator
3) No Control
4) Against the Grain
5) How could hell be any worse?
6) Against the Grain
7) The Process of Belief
8) Recipe for Hate
9) The Empire Strikes First
10) Stranger than Fiction
11) The Gray Race
12) Into the Unknown

As for Post Empire Strikes First (which came out in 2004) that was the last time I listened to their new releases. There was 4 since then, Maps of Hell, Dissent of Man, and True North since then which I haven't heard and if anyone has and their good lemme know. I intenionally left out New America And No Substance because I thought they were pretty miserable.

anyhow, yeah.

No Control
Suffer
Against the Grain (I go back and forth as to whether to put Generator third. Today it's Against the Grain)
Generator
Recipe for Hate
The Process of Belief
Stranger than Fiction
How Could Hell be any Worse
The Empire Strikes First
The Gray Race
New Maps of Hell
The Dissent of Man
True North
(Tie) No Substance/The New America (I owned them both and both are the first on the list that I consider to be bad albums)
Into the Inknown (unlistenable)
Quote from: BlakeK on March 09, 2017, 06:59:37 PM
Having said that, I'd rather listen to Papa Roach than GG Allin

Stinkbug

I haven't listened to enough Bad Religion to actually rank them, but I absolutely love 'How Could Hell Be Ang Worse?'. My younger brother listens to them more than I do, and he keeps telling me to check out other albums, but I guess I'm just stuck in the early '80s.

BlakeK

I prefer a little more melody to my punk which is why "How Could Hell..." is so low on the list. No Substance and The New America are the same album in my eyes. Both are subpar, though I Love My Computer became comical after Graffin's internet hijinx.

skateandannoy

There's a couple in the late 90's/ early 2000's (Atlantic era?) I haven't heard and I haven't listened to some of the new ones either but all the old ones are amazing. Instead of doing what the thread title suggests, I'm going to discuss how thoroughly underrated Stranger Than Fiction is because that record is great even though it seems like lot of folks aren't into it/ aren't as into it as other ones. Belongs with the classics, a hidden gem. And the classics are classic.

Also, this cover is beautiful
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZQyB99nKkI
https://deadformat.net/tradelist/anthemforadoomed

Quote from: tinybitsofheart on August 01, 2014, 06:53:17 AM
kinda weird how the earth continues to spin on its axis and everything eventually dies even when you don't want it to dang

skateandannoy

Quote from: BlakeK on September 04, 2015, 06:25:36 PM
I prefer a little more melody to my punk which is why "How Could Hell..." is so low on the list. No Substance and The New America are the same album in my eyes. Both are subpar, though I Love My Computer became comical after Graffin's internet hijinx.
Love the hardcoreness of "How Could Hell..." and it's cool to see despite how gnarly it is, that the seeds are sown for the melodic stuff to come.
https://deadformat.net/tradelist/anthemforadoomed

Quote from: tinybitsofheart on August 01, 2014, 06:53:17 AM
kinda weird how the earth continues to spin on its axis and everything eventually dies even when you don't want it to dang

BlakeK

Quote from: skateandannoy on September 04, 2015, 06:44:37 PM
Quote from: BlakeK on September 04, 2015, 06:25:36 PM
Love the hardcoreness of "How Could Hell..." and it's cool to see despite how gnarly it is, that the seeds are sown for the melodic stuff to come.
I agree but I still like the actual fruit rather than the seeds.

Stranger than Fiction is underrated. It got a lot of play when I was younger. I also think that Recipe for Hate is underrated but not to the degree that STF is.

RankResistance

1. No Control
2. Against the Grain
3. Suffer
4. Recipe for Hate
5. Generator
6. How Could Hell be Any Worse?
7. The Process of Belief
8. The Empire Strikes First
9. Stranger than Fiction
10. New Maps of Hell
11. The Gray Race
12. True North
13. No Substance
14. The New America
15. Into the Unknown

jerkemy

it really depends on the criteria. I'm nostalgic for the Gray Race because it was the first album I owned by them, but it's not their best. I'd say I think No Control is their best record. I haven't kept up much past Process Of Belief, but I've checked out each new record on youtube or whatever and always find a few songs I like. They kind of all sound the same, but then I think a lot of times when they try to branch out into new sounds, it's not good. I feel like in a critical sense, they should just put out a 7" each year instead of a full record, but as far as that band being their full time job, I get it.

kw

recipe for hate will always be my favourite, everything else kinda blended together for me.

Kyst09

well, i didn't listen over and over to all of their albums, but i would put "New America" And "No Substance" in a high place, i think they are pretty rad.
my problem with BR is that their music is just beautiful(!!!) - but as much as i heard, they've been doing the same pattern over the years, that's why they are not in my top favorite bands...
(maybe its a bad comparison, but kinda of a iron maiden thingy...its cool. but its the same.)
If I Would, Could You?

BlakeK

Quote from: Kyst09 on September 26, 2015, 04:38:16 AM
well, i didn't listen over and over to all of their albums, but i would put "New America" And "No Substance" in a high place, i think they are pretty rad.
my problem with BR is that their music is just beautiful(!!!) - but as much as i heard, they've been doing the same pattern over the years, that's why they are not in my top favorite bands...
(maybe its a bad comparison, but kinda of a iron maiden thingy...its cool. but its the same.)
Are you serious about New America and No Substance? Everyone's different but you may be the only Bad Religion fann in the world who would rate those albums high.