watched Dogville

Started by pronetoaccidents, August 10, 2015, 11:07:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pronetoaccidents

Don't know if anyone saw it. It may not be for everyone because it was shot in a rather unconventional manner.. It was set up like a play, things such as a bush or a tre or a dog were outlined with chalk and what they were was written in it but it had big name, chloie sevigny, Stellen Skarsgard, Nicole Kidman.. it was about 3 hours and was definetly a bit of a slow burner but i'm glad I rode it out because it was one of the greatest movies of all time (I saw it this morning. I understan this a bold statement and will probably change at some point, maybe today, maybe in a few years, but for now it remains.). And i agree with Queintin Tarentinos initial response was that if it was a play it would of won a pulitizer.

Just found out now it's a trilogy, that the second is already out and the third is on it's way. Dogville nor it's sequel is that new, i think both are from relatively early 2000's, but if you enjoy film and can find it and like movies that kinda hit you like a sawed off shotgun in the gut and leaves you writhing there alone with nothing to do but think about what hit you then get the popcorn and wild irish rose ready.
Though lovers be lost love shall not.

skateandannoy

I really enjoyed Dogville. I think it's the only Von Trier film I've seen. Didn't realize it was a trilogy and will definitely investigate these sequels. I'd love to see it as a play.
https://deadformat.net/tradelist/anthemforadoomed

Quote from: tinybitsofheart on August 01, 2014, 06:53:17 AM
kinda weird how the earth continues to spin on its axis and everything eventually dies even when you don't want it to dang

Anna Karina

Manderlay is not very good at all.  I think he abandoned the trilogy after that though I could be wrong.

Dancer in the Dark is his best movie. The Five Obstructions is really interesting. Breaking the Waves and Antichrist are also really good.

But Dancer in the Dark, man...

pronetoaccidents

fuck yeah in regards to antichrist.. gotta see dancing in the dark and i just got Manderlay and was able to watch an hour of it before i had to leave this morning and i'm going to wait until i see the whole thing before i really say anything about it because i have no fucking idea where the fuck this one is headed (in a good way.. just like dogville).. well, actually i can offer a little insight, the narrator, same from the first, in an accent that can best be described as the Masterpiece Theater voice, describing the townsfolks, slaves up until liberated in 1930s by notorious gangsters daughter as "a Talking Nigger, a Weepin Nigger, a Hittin' Nigger, a Clownin' Nigger, Losin' Niger, and of course the Pleasin Nigger, also known as a chameleon a person of the kind who can transform himself into exactly the type the beholder would like to see)".. and the original white owners of the town or plantation, whatever the fuck it is, are ordered due to occupation of the city by the mobs henchmen to be the slaves for as long as it takes for the first harvest in order to teach them a lesson about their wicked ways.. When they upset her, she punishes them and paints them in black face. A darker (no pun intended) comedy so far it seems than the first.

According to wikipedia (i know, i'm lazy) it says it's the trilogy isn't abandoned and the whole project is called USA – Land of Opportunities and the third is going to be called Washington.

pronetoaccidents

I actually just did a little more reading and in a fucked up ala Cannibal Holocaust type, there was originally a scene in the movie where a donkey was slaughtered (for real.) and that prompted John C Riley, who was originally in the film, to walk out on the spot. The scene was subsequently cut.

oh and i got some sweet movies from the store where I picked it up, as well as the first. It's a little indepedent film place which sells the most random possible movies in the world. you have to spend a bunch of time digging through shit to find some gold. Got to see Thirst, a vampire flick from the genius who directed Oldboy. and a surprisingly awesome horror flick, It Follows.