Do you collect anything?

Started by skateandannoy, July 06, 2015, 11:00:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skateandannoy

Besides PIX CD's, who here collects rocks, books, art prints, etc?

I sometimes feel like I have a crazy amount of shit I've collected it gives me anxiety about having to move eventually. But I have a lot of cool local skate shops, book stores, thrift stores, record stores, musical instrument stores, and a movie rental place that sells super cheap old DVDs that I like to support. And I can't leave the beach without both pockets full of rocks and seaglass. What are ya'll hoarding?
https://deadformat.net/tradelist/anthemforadoomed

Quote from: tinybitsofheart on August 01, 2014, 06:53:17 AM
kinda weird how the earth continues to spin on its axis and everything eventually dies even when you don't want it to dang

lindsey

aw i want a collection. the only thing i buy like every chance i get is PENS. zzzzzzzz

i kind of collect little altar oddity witchy type things...just like every other person in the world with a shelf

rory

Definitely have found myself to be a bit of a musical instrument collector. Tried to tone it down in the last few years.
Quote from: Winged Killick
I'm an anarchist, but I'm not going to drive ninety-five miles an hour down the road tossing illegal, invasive species of snakes from my car while texting and fraudulently doing my taxes.

momitsnowme

I am aware that this will sound absurd to everyone here but have gotten into collecting/buying/selling/trading luxury baby wearing items. Exclusive prints and hand woven stuff. I have a few that I wear and I've made a little bit of money getting buying and selling at the right times with others.

Courtney

A couple of months ago I started a lapel pin collection and it's gotten pretty serious.

lindsey

you guys should post pictures! becca, by luxury do you mean like fancy baby brands? sounds like a solid side hustle!

manmagic

My two main collections are VHS  tapes (people always look at me weird when I say this, but some of them are worth a surprising amount of money) and limited edition posters (mondo, bottleneck, gallery1988 etc). I definitely enjoy a good thrift store/used book sale.

jerkemy

i very half-assedly (meaning I refuse to spend much money and don't really have the space for it) collect old video game stuff. I use Game Boys and NES's to make music, so when I find that hardware for cheap I pick it up, since they're never going to make any more.

"Retro gaming" has gotten huge in the past 5 years so I unfortunately hardly ever find stuff outside of game stores where they're trying to get maximum eBay prices. I'll never drop more than maybe $20 on a game, and even then only when it's something I actually really want to play, so I'll probably never have that impressive of a collection, which I'm totally fine with.

At least Atari stuff is always cheap, and I have legitimate nostalgia for it since my older cousin gave us his old 2600 when I was a kid and I played the shit out of it.

jerkemy

i guess i inadvertently collect music gear too, even though I hate gear and hate talking about gear

i have drums, guitar amps, a PA system, like 3 electric guitars, a bass, an acoustic guitar, a shitload of mics and cables and compressors and noise gates and interfaces and outboard guitar processors and other shit all over. I basically want to shovel it all into a coal fire but I legitimately use all of it for various things, so

rory

Quote from: jerkemy on July 07, 2015, 12:40:36 PM
I basically want to shovel it all into a coal fire but I legitimately use all of it for various things, so

Relate, aside from a few goofy instruments that I don't use much, which I then make a point of loaning out to people so they at least get some use.

I have two electric basses, an upright bass, baritone guitar, a guitar I converted into a tenor guitar, a really busted electric guitar I use to make noise mostly, a very terrible classical I never play, lefty mandolin, tenor ukulele, drum set, 4-step sequencer, an "atari punk console" I built along with a phaser pedal I unsuccessfully built, some kind of vocal distortion pedal, sans amp bass pedal, Tascam DP-004 recorder, bass cab and head, bass practice amp, guitar practice amp, roland SP-808, a small 6 track mixer, and I partially own the PA my house uses. Plus I live in a house with 6 other musicians so I have access to pretty much any instrument I might want. In total 5 drum kits live here.  I also own another mandolin and a very shitty banjo that have been stuck in the possession of a person I never want to see anymore, but I still consider those items mine.

I use a lot of this stuff but it feels pretty fucking excessive, considering I only ever play bass in bands.
I'm an anarchist, but I'm not going to drive ninety-five miles an hour down the road tossing illegal, invasive species of snakes from my car while texting and fraudulently doing my taxes.

momitsnowme

Yeah, so there are the brands you can get at target like the Bjorn or Ergo but these are brands sold only online or in fancy kid boutiques. The most expensive ones are converted from hand woven wraps into buckle carriers or sscs  (soft structured carriers). They retail for about $350 new but because they're made in very limited batches will go for $600ish or even more if they are super in demand. I've seen some go for $3000. So it's this whole big thing when they release new ones..people try to get them from the website so they can flip them and they sell out in 10 seconds. Then certain retailers will get exclusive prints and people who live near them will drive for hours to get them for $170 so they can sell them for $300-$500 later. And the market goes up and down, like right after tax season everyone is spending a ton on them and certain days of the week. People want certain ones for different reasons. Like there's a print called Little Heroes with super heroes on it which was big because people wanted them for their kids with disabilities. And people make accessories for them and sell them on etsy and if your carrier has good accessories it ups its value. It's a whole weird world

DAF

Ok, the fact that you collect baby carriers is awesome. I love hobbies like that, because mine's a bit off the beaten path.

My collection may seem like "not a collection", but to me it is very real. It's a bit dirtbaggy..but I'm an adrenaline junkie and this is one of my passions..breaking the law in benign or beneficial ways. I've been smoking weed in unchristened bathrooms since I was 14 and I remember most of the really cool ones. Some examples of my collection:

One time I was packing a bowl and breaking up some weed on this baby diaper changing station at a truck stop. The lock on the stall was loose and some guy knocked it open just checking for occupancy. I whipped around and said "Diaper Station maintenance man, be done in just a second." Then I flushed the toilet, blasted the bowl, waited 5 seconds, opened the stall door, smiled and walked on..holding my breath the entire time. Blew it through a wad of  paper towels at the sink.

One of my absolute prizes is the time I walked past the metal detectors at Greeley Court House/Police Station to pay a ticket with a wooden bowl and a fat bag of weed in my pocket. Paid the fine. Smoked a fat bowl in their bathroom (door about 5 feet from the pay window), and unlike my usual attempts at discretion, I blew it all over the bathroom..all up in it...I'm surprised smoke didn't follow me out. Speed-sticked myself and left behind a bit of glory or a little shame depending upon your perspective.

There was this time I was at Wal*Mart working on my Good morning/Good afternoon/Good evening campaign, where I say good morning, good afternoon, or good evening to everyone at Wal*Mart (depending upon the time of day), Home Depot and Meijer and watch their reactions. It's been very therapeutic as far as calming my constant cynicism about the heart of the human race. It's conditioning not intent as far as I can tell. That's hopeful.

I saw this mostly disoccupied bread aisle and thought "why not smoke a bowl right in the middle of the store?" Because why? Well because it was there challenging me like a cliff to be climbed, a ramp to be jumped or a rail to be slid.

I ducked my head down near the lower shelves and reached back near an empty area like I was grabbing some bread near the back and lit the bowl and hit it. Pulled a loaf out, looked at it, put it back. Walked a sec then turned my head and blew through a hole between the brands toward the back of the shelf to trap the smoke. Sigh.  Pure joy for me.

I told you it was a little dirtbaggy. Sorry if your bread bag smelled like chronic. (Unless you enjoyed it. )

I also collect books on esoteric subjects, DIY (focused on homeopathy), data compendiums and rock biographies. I only buy at thrift stores and yard sales to make it more challenging.

My oldest is "The Zodiac and Its Mysteries" by Professor A.F. Seward from 1915. The most accurate on astrological subjects related to Sun signs is "You're Every Sign" by Phyllis Firak-Mitz. Definitely a mind-blower.  Strangest? An old book on hypnotism which I'm having trouble finding to remember the title. Favorite DIY book? Either the Anarchist Cookbook or the Reader's Digest Complete Do-It-Yourself Book. Most entertaining rock biography? Full Moon the story of Keith Moon. (Forget that he was a womanizer just long enough to watch his trainwreck and you will be amply rewarded.)

daf

Laws are for people who can't police themselves.
Anarchy: It's like government for grown ups.

momitsnowme

Thanks, haha.

You know homeopathy is a load of shit, right?

pronetoaccidents

comics (mainly pre-comic book code era EC horror/sci-fi comics). I also have some really cool old underground comix from the 60s, one rory hayes comic i'm particularly proud to have in my collection. but any and every comic i'll keep even if i doubt i'll even read it.

I have some cool Search and Destroy and Re/Search Zines from the 70s which were some of the most intelligent, engaging, thought provoking, take on punk rock. It was funded by Ginsberg and Lawrence Ferlinghetti so it's a thinking mans zine. For example one issue in particular has an interview with Gysion and Burroughs about the cut- up technique, then goes into an awesome article on throbbing gristle, suicide, excerpts of JB ballards Atrocity Exhibition and a lengthy article on body modification throughout history.

I've always collected things. when I was younger it was pogs and Mad Magazines. I had a crate with hundreds of Mad Magazines. Wish I still had that box. I spent a lot of time on the toilet telling my parents i was doing homework, hiding out in there reading mad magazine.

i collect books too. so much so that it makes my house cluttered, not much room for clothes. many i won't read. It's sort of an obsessive thing.

I also have a very impressive DVD collection. hundreds.
Though lovers be lost love shall not.

jer

Anti-Creative Records sells some things.
http://www.anti-creative.com

DAF

You know homeopathy is a load of shit, right?

Why do you think it's so hard to find the books? Phrenology is the same way. When I was working flea markets, you quickly got a feel for what was hard to find and what was dime-a-dozen. Homeopathy books, tasseography..anything esoteric just doesn't come up used that often, particularly if it was quack bullshit.. Makes a perfect hobby..IMHO.

:D

daf

"Laws are for people who can't police themselves.  Anarchy: It's like government for grown ups."

momitsnowme

Good! Just making sure you weren't practicing it. And even though it is quack bullshit, I know a ton of people who think it is legit. I'm surprised there aren't more books out there.

RankResistance

I collect books. I need to do a major purge. I had a ton of books when I lived in my apartment but then I bought a house with a huge bonus room and put bookcases along an entire wall. I go to library sales/"bag sales" where you pay $5-10 and get a bag and fill it up and those are the worst. You find yourself going "Hmm...I could see myself reading this ONE day." I've scaled back, but I love my "library", but let's face it: I'm a teacher and I will not read a book for about 25 more years.

Courtney

There are two more on their in the mail. I have a problem, you guys.

DAF

The Oujia board pin is really cool.

AaronTheCabe

I used to collect things but went through a ghandi/buddhist/eastern philosophy phase and i gave all my possessions away to distinguish my self from the self that associates with the material. while i don't hold to many of those philosophies today, i never got back into things like i had before, like most i inadvertly collect music gear and auxiliary instruments (as dakota calls them, i like to call them jug band ditties) like pan flute, harmonica, kazoos and the like.

Quote from: manmagic on July 07, 2015, 09:39:35 AM
My two main collections are VHS  tapes (people always look at me weird when I say this, but some of them are worth a surprising amount of money) and limited edition posters (mondo, bottleneck, gallery1988 etc). I definitely enjoy a good thrift store/used book sale.

hey dude, i ended up not having doubles of the vinyl pix stuff which was why i hadn't mailed you stuff (you said you didn't really care for cds/tapes if i remember right) BUT i have tons of old vhs stuff sitting in a closet, the remnants from most i actually tossed in the work dumpster so i do have some vhs stuff i could send you, things like director commentary remasterd evil dead one and two, dawn of the dead vhs collectors edition, mostly horror films from my old horror buff days
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back breakfast

rory

Quote from: Courtney on July 09, 2015, 07:37:23 PM
There are two more on their in the mail. I have a problem, you guys.

These are fucking cool, I see why you collect them.

manmagic

Quote from: AaronTheCabe on July 10, 2015, 05:41:22 AM
I used to collect things but went through a ghandi/buddhist/eastern philosophy phase and i gave all my possessions away to distinguish my self from the self that associates with the material. while i don't hold to many of those philosophies today, i never got back into things like i had before, like most i inadvertly collect music gear and auxiliary instruments (as dakota calls them, i like to call them jug band ditties) like pan flute, harmonica, kazoos and the like.

Quote from: manmagic on July 07, 2015, 09:39:35 AM

hey dude, i ended up not having doubles of the vinyl pix stuff which was why i hadn't mailed you stuff (you said you didn't really care for cds/tapes if i remember right) BUT i have tons of old vhs stuff sitting in a closet, the remnants from most i actually tossed in the work dumpster so i do have some vhs stuff i could send you, things like director commentary remasterd evil dead one and two, dawn of the dead vhs collectors edition, mostly horror films from my old horror buff days

I have pretty much everything you mentioned, but if you have other stuff I'd gladly pay for shipping or even extra if I need the movies!  :)

Courtney

Thanks, Rory! These are the latest additions to the collection:

I have a few more on their way. I guess at least it's a relatively cheap collection to have, since they're usually $5-15.