anyone doing anything awesome?

Started by pronetoaccidents, June 12, 2015, 12:10:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pronetoaccidents

like writing a book, comic, webseries, screenplay, cookbook, self help, zine, whatever, anything..

besides my outsider art/comic punk zine i'm working with a really awesome dude i met while busking on the train. he's working on a project called Old Forgotten Art Found  (http://www.ofafthehunt.com) and he's traveling the world finding art looted by the nazis and returning it to the rightful owners. I'm going to be hoping on board as a blogger.
Though lovers be lost love shall not.

lindsey

I'm in tattoo school right now and about to start the apprenticing/actually DOING tattoo phase, in about a month and a half. So basically I'm learning a lot about technique, application, machines, and lots and lots and lots of sanitation and infection control type stuff. It's pretty awesome to me, and the start of the most exciting career I can imagine. But more in response to your actual question, there is sooo much drawing and preparation for the apprenticeship phase because it's the first opportunity to build your tattoo portfolio, which are the most important for getting a new job out of school. Yadda yadda, basically I'm spending all my free time making flash sheets so people get an idea of my style and let me design them stuff that will fit in my portfolio so I don't have to do little script and infinity symbol and butterfly walk-ins for my first 50. So yeah! Currently busting my ass to build up a tattoo flash portfolio.

ps. I know this board isn't full of intense judgmental punx like it used to be, but for those who may be thinking "tattoo school, aren't those kinda bullshit/not legit?" yeah, most everywhere they are (especially if they're online only, boy howdy!) but in Oregon, a formal trade school type program is required to get a license, and my school is the most strenuous in the state. Just imagine one part Art school, one part sales/marketing school, one part how to not give everyone Hep C, etc. It is cray.

Courtney

Lindsey you should link to your IG so everyone can see your art because that shit is DOPE. For real, I want to get one of your mandalas.

lindsey

AW thanks boo! Of course if anyone wants to peep my IG it's https://instagram.com/lnzzzz/ and i'll def be posting art with increasing frequency in the coming weeks/life

pronetoaccidents

that's really awesome. my friend was apprenticing at a shop and is now on the payroll and doing well. keep up the great work and just in case i'm passing through sometime i'll keep a nice patch of skin fresh for your lovely ink
Though lovers be lost love shall not.

rory

Y'all got me kind of freaked out that the only mildly cool things I'm doing are centered around music.
Quote from: Winged Killick
I'm an anarchist, but I'm not going to drive ninety-five miles an hour down the road tossing illegal, invasive species of snakes from my car while texting and fraudulently doing my taxes.

AaronTheCabe

no.

i tend to work until exhaustion.

i am exhausted all the fucking time.

i refuse to talk about the cool things i want to do.

I'll show them when i'm done
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back breakfast

Phitney

I'm still doing the roller derby referee thang and it's pretty awesome. Every weekend except July 4th from now until mid-August is booked with some kind of derby thing that I get to referee! I have a tournament in West Virginia coming up this weekend that I'm stoked on.

I'm back in Asheville and have been busy staring at mountains and counting my blessings for being amongst them again.

I started making my own facial clay mask and trying to get the perfect blend of essential oils, apple cider vinegar, and clay so that it smells good and is also okay for my skin.

I interviewed for a job at a local kombucha brewery that I'm reallllllllly hoping I get so I can tell my shady-ass company goodbye. Bonus points for getting to be around kombucha for most of the week!

mohawk_mike

I wrote a play and I'm directing it/acting in it, we're performing it on Saturday.  I'm very excited and a little nervous.

Sketchward

I've been working on a video game called Realms. Our team calls itself 2bit Games.

lindsey

Quote from: rory on June 17, 2015, 07:05:43 PM
Y'all got me kind of freaked out that the only mildly cool things I'm doing are centered around music.

i want to play music soooo bad, as soon as i'm not 100% consumed with work and school, my first goal is to get back into drum lessons. I can't wait! what are you up to music wise?

Quote from: Phitney on June 18, 2015, 09:22:51 AM
I'm still doing the roller derby referee thang and it's pretty awesome. Every weekend except July 4th from now until mid-August is booked with some kind of derby thing that I get to referee! I have a tournament in West Virginia coming up this weekend that I'm stoked on.

I'm back in Asheville and have been busy staring at mountains and counting my blessings for being amongst them again.

I started making my own facial clay mask and trying to get the perfect blend of essential oils, apple cider vinegar, and clay so that it smells good and is also okay for my skin.

I interviewed for a job at a local kombucha brewery that I'm reallllllllly hoping I get so I can tell my shady-ass company goodbye. Bonus points for getting to be around kombucha for most of the week!

dude how is asheville? i've been getting sooooo homesick lately. please tell me it sucks!

rory

Quote from: lindsey on June 22, 2015, 05:31:18 PM
Quote from: rory on June 17, 2015, 07:05:43 PM

i want to play music soooo bad, as soon as i'm not 100% consumed with work and school, my first goal is to get back into drum lessons. I can't wait! what are you up to music wise?

I'm essentially in five bands right now. Two of my bands put out releases this year, and although the bands are very very different from each other, I'm really happy with how both came out.
http://alreadydeadtapes.storenvy.com/products/12650332-anybody-but-the-cops-this-machine-sews-patches-cassette
http://alreadydeadtapes.storenvy.com/products/13522551-boring-people-onan-cassette-ad172

The first band up there also went on a tour earlier this year, which I almost single-handedly set up. It went really well with only minor hilarious hiccups. First tour I've ever really set up, aside from a 4 day jaunt outta town playing for friends mostly.

Besides those bands, I do vocals for a noisy no-wavey punk thing, which is the first time I've ever just been a vocalist. I think this project is ending soon due to our drummer moving, but it's given me some ideas of how to do vocals in the future!

I'm also in an improv noise project which never practices but keeps me on my toes, and I play upright bass in a somber eerie folk band.

Last August I bought myself a baritone guitar and since then I've pretty much played guitar every day. I'm learning to play upside down since I'm left handed and I usually have right handed guitars around me. It seems to be really working out and I'm getting a lot of stuff out of guitar I never expected to, after years of just being a dedicated bassist. I'm working diligently to make my own music and record it myself. It's simultaneously rewarding and stressful. I'm finally able to get sounds I feel really happy with, but my lyrics are freakin' bunk. Maybe after August I'll try and write intentionally every day on top of playing guitar every day.

I quit my job of 4.5 years at a coffee shop as the management got really, really deplorable in a very sudden tactical move. I left it to work with my friends at a local record store and make half as much money but to feel so much better. I'm learning a ton and I get to be around records all day. It's weird being a bottom rung employee after being integral to a business for so long, but already I can tell my work is valued and appreciated, and I get a lot out of it.

This week I attempted to build my first guitar pedal from a kit. It kind of worked! Going to spend the next few weeks figuring out why it doesn't work exactly as should. I also turned a guitar into a tenor guitar today. It was a pretty goofy project.

My house has now had 94 shows in just under 4 years. 229 different musical acts.

I have also drawn 84 flyers since January 2012. I've also made several stickers, contributed to album art work and to t-shirt/logo designs. I'm not the best artist or graphic designer, but through serious repetition I've set myself apart as having a distinct style and I get a lot of compliments for it.

I am essentially the main force behind our booking and organizing collective in town, DITkalamazoo.com. It's going through a lot of changes right now, and the organization needs some re-structuring to get people involved, but as is I make sure the site is still up-to-date and for the most part our community is doing a great job sharing resources on how to run house shows.

Idk, that's it, my life is now all music.

And YOU SHOULD TOTALLY PLAY DRUMS. Drums have eluded my understanding since age 11 when I became obsessed with the idea of being a drummer. Now it's 15 years later and I live in a house with 5 drum sets and I still can't play the goddamn drums.
Quote from: Winged Killick
I'm an anarchist, but I'm not going to drive ninety-five miles an hour down the road tossing illegal, invasive species of snakes from my car while texting and fraudulently doing my taxes.

Phitney

Quote from: lindsey on June 22, 2015, 05:31:18 PM

dude how is asheville? i've been getting sooooo homesick lately. please tell me it sucks!

Asheville is the same as it's always been! It's kind of bonkers. The same people all live here (3 hours after I moved back I saw my ex's little brother at Rosetta's. Blah.). The mountains were really pretty this morning because it was rainy and foggy, but not too foggy. Moogfest and Mountain Oasis Festival or whatever aren't things anymore, apparently. Hotels are being built up on every street corner. There's a pinball museum that I've been meaning to check out. Otherwise, not much else to report! I mean, it totally sucks! For real, though, I'm sure Portland is way better. Or at least not as small and awkward.

Stinkbug

Rory, you might be the coolest person ever. So many awesome things.

I'm not doing much other than my band, and starting student teaching in the fall, but my girlfriend had been doing some really awesome stuff regarding her art. She's super talented and is starting to do more shows and conventions, and is starting to get a fanbase which is exciting to see.

dakotafloyd

I'm finishing my master's in three weeks and becoming a middle school teacher soon, soon, soon!
21 Moreland Ave. NE
Atlanta, GA 30307

RankResistance

Gearing up for another year of teaching young bucks about the written word. Trying to get my head straight before I do so. Anxiety about August set it pretty early in June and is going full blast now.

Looking into getting my Ed.S. in the fall in instructional technology so I can perhaps find a job in a school outside of a classroom.