cooking thread

Started by hatmoose, June 12, 2014, 01:48:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hatmoose

cooking thread share your cooking tips and facts and stats

my favorite food right now is roasted broccoli with olive oil and salt and cumin and old bay

should i buy a rice cooker? let's talk about it all, here, in the cooking thread
ask me about my high score

hatmoose

let me know if you have any questions about roasting broccoli

RankResistance

Yes, buy a rice cooker.

Pwoink

OH MY GOSH

I came into this thread to recommend my current favorite snack: roasted broccoli with olive oil and salt and paprika and cayenne pepper! Hatmoose, are we culinary twins?

Okay okay, I'll contribute a different thing: baked kale! Tear kale into bits, mix with way less olive oil than you would think, lay out on a foiled baking sheet, salt a wee bit, pop into the oven for 10 minutes at 420. So easy, so amazing. You can also cook the broccoli in the oven that way, though it takes like 20 min at 380.

hatmoose

this is the closest i've ever felt to a person

hatmoose

talk about your diet in general and what you like to consume

i like plain foods i guess? my favorite breakfast, besides bagels, is oatmeal made with water and rolled oats. my favorite spice is cumin. i really like cooking onions.

Sketchward

I work the artisan bread shift at a local bakery, so if you guys have any bread-related questions, I'm your dude.

Currently surviving on $10 lumberjack sandwiches from Safeway and multivitamins because I'm poor and sold out.

Favourite foods are basically anything Greek or Italian, especially ravioli. I'll eat your fucking hand if you throw some olives and feta cheese on there.

hatmoose

what the fuck is b read

hatmoose

breads?? tell me more about 'em

skateandannoy

I keeping reading this thread title as "cookie thread." I recently had chocolate chip cookies made with almond flour. I haven't wanted to eat anything else since.
https://deadformat.net/tradelist/anthemforadoomed

Quote from: tinybitsofheart on August 01, 2014, 06:53:17 AM
kinda weird how the earth continues to spin on its axis and everything eventually dies even when you don't want it to dang

Initwiththealiens

speaking of cookies I heard you can substitute butter for avocados which sounds amazing   

Sketchward

Quote from: Initwiththealiens on June 13, 2014, 11:33:35 AM
speaking of cookies I heard you can substitute butter for avocados which sounds amazing   

I think you mean substitute avocados for butter, because the other way around makes me think of a fat kid eating guacamole made with butter.

What do you guys want to know about bread?

bee

i feel like i am pretty good at cooking, but i don't enjoy it one bit, which is a shame as i really like eating.

someone mentioned kale, i could happily live on fried kale with soy sauce and garlic. you could also substitute kale for broccoli and i'd be happy.

Rapture Ready Blowhard

Quote from: hatmoose on June 12, 2014, 07:00:33 PM
talk about your diet in general and what you like to consume

My spice cabinet only consists of cinnamon, garlic powder, cumin, red pepper powder, paprika, and nutmeg. Literally every dinner I know how to cook starts off with sauteing some onions and garlic.  I like to make vegan sloppy joes with lentils, sweet potato and black bean chili with brown rice, split pea soup with hella cumin and some red pepper, white bean chili, pinto bean tacos, etc.  Basically, I eat almost only the same seven or eight very similar dishes for dinners.

hatmoose

you and i could live together, and wring our hands over cumin covered piles of onions and garlic frying. i am all about cooking onions and then putting them on something else

Initwiththealiens

Quote from: bee on June 13, 2014, 05:30:47 PM
i feel like i am pretty good at cooking, but i don't enjoy it one bit, which is a shame as i really like eating.

someone mentioned kale, i could happily live on fried kale with soy sauce and garlic. you could also substitute kale for broccoli and i'd be happy.

You don't substitute all of the butter for avocado but just like half I believe because it makes the food healthier   

jer

man, Sketchward is right, you totally mean substitute avocado for butter.

substituting butter for avocado would mean like, making guacamole out of butter and that is fucking disgusting.
Anti-Creative Records sells some things.
http://www.anti-creative.com

Sketchward

Quote from: jer on June 13, 2014, 07:54:37 PM
man, Sketchward is right, you totally mean substitute avocado for butter.

substituting butter for avocado would mean like, making guacamole out of butter and that is fucking disgusting.

"This is great guacamole, what's in it?"
"My secret is, it's just butter mashed up in a bowl with a spoon."

Sketchward

Vagroaches

Rice cookers are good investments, but if you have a pot with a glass/clear lid, you can just keep an eye on the rice until you don't really see any moisture bubbling up from the rice anymore. After you turn off the heat, leave the lid on for 5 minutes. I've been making foolproof rice this way for a while.

I bought a slow cooker a year or so ago... I like the concept of them, but a lot of stuff that I've made with them turn out super bland and watery.  :-\

Pwoink

Seriously? There are so many internet people elbowing into conversations about cooking to yelp about how amazing and unhyperbolically life-saving their slow cooker is, I'd have thought slow-cookers can do no wrong!

jer

we have a slow cooker we've used like twice and it doesn't seem very worthwhile.
Anti-Creative Records sells some things.
http://www.anti-creative.com

rory

I love sauteing some mushrooms, it used to be the only thing I knew how to make. I really like any kind of quick cook veggie thing. I'm not a very good or varied cook, though.
Quote from: Winged Killick
I'm an anarchist, but I'm not going to drive ninety-five miles an hour down the road tossing illegal, invasive species of snakes from my car while texting and fraudulently doing my taxes.

Pwoink

Dude, a skillet is the best for stuff like that. Any combination of veggies, plus some olive oil, salt, pepper, and heat, and it's yummy with minimal skill!

rory

Totally where my skill tapers off, but if I'm cooking for myself, that leaves me with no room for complaints.
Quote from: Winged Killick
I'm an anarchist, but I'm not going to drive ninety-five miles an hour down the road tossing illegal, invasive species of snakes from my car while texting and fraudulently doing my taxes.