News:

you look nice today.

1Q84

Started by momitsnowme, February 14, 2015, 10:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

momitsnowme

Yeah!! I'm excited to see how they come together too!

momitsnowme

What did you all think of the hotel bar scene? I thought it was still pretty male gaze-y even though it is from aomama's perspective.

Oh! And I thought it was funny he mentioned a bald census. Is it in the Windup Bird Chronicle where she is counting bald men?

Are we aiming for 200 by April 17?

momitsnowme

Pat2099

Yeah I can do it!

momitsnowme

Pat2099

How do you all like the book so far? I got all the way up to page 450!

momitsnowme

Wow! I'm on like 217. I think it is great so far. And I'm happy to at least see the beginning of the Aomame/Tengo connection. I still feel the Aomame sex stuff is a little male gaze-ish, but I trust Murakami enough to ride it out and give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

momitsnowme

Page 475! Anyone else still in? Whoa, it is getting crazy.

Pat2099

I'm on page 600 something! I really like it, can't give too much away though!

momitsnowme

Haha,are we just gonna wait til we are either at the same place or til we're both done and then talk?

Phitney

I'm still around page 200-something :( I definitely fell off on this one. I'll try and catch up!

momitsnowme

It picks up! I think you can catch up!

Pat2099

I finished it like a couple weeks ago. The male gaze-y stuff definitely lessens. I was pretty entertained throughout. What page is everyone on?

momitsnowme

momitsnowme

I just finished it! Ahhhh!

Aaron

I just finished reading this.  Finishing the book feels like waking up from a long dream I'll probably forget in a few hours.  Carl Jung was obviously an influence, and the book had a strong mythic, dream-like quality to it, while still maintaining a solid groundedness in its way.  It definitely takes a master novelist to maintain that for 1150 pages.  While reading it I could feel the story working on me on a really deep archetypal level, like any good fantasy novel, but I still don't really get it.  Anybody have any interpretations?

Also, how does it compare to Murakami's other books?  This is the first I've read by him.

momitsnowme

That'd a great way to describe finishing the book!  I don't know if I "get" it either. I think you could definitely be right that it's kind of a subconscious thing it does to you. It is one of the more amazing love stories I've read I think

momitsnowme

And I think this is pretty comparable to the style of his other books. You should really read Windup Bird Chronicle

pronetoaccidents

I'm gonna dive head first in there with ya!
Though lovers be lost love shall not.