News:

you look nice today.

1Q84

Started by momitsnowme, February 14, 2015, 10:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

momitsnowme

Has anyone read this? It's been on my shelf for a couple of years and I think I'm finally going to commit to reading it. I know it will be awesome, it's just so long. Anyone want to be a reading buddy? It will probably take me a year or so, haha. If someone does want to read it with me, I could probably commit to 100 pages a month?

Phitney

I've been meaning to read this as well and just keep passing on it because of the length. I'd be down for having a reading buddy! We can keep each other motivated! 100 pages a month is definitely doable for me.

momitsnowme

Yes! Check in here March 17 on the first 100 pages for me, Whitney, and whoever else is in!

RankResistance

I am apprehensive to dive in, because there are probably 100 books on my "to-read" list before that one, but it is something I want to read and I normally don't have folks reading it along with me. I will attempt to give it a go. These days I usually only read the works I am teaching or if I get a couple days off, a Wendell Berry book or something.

momitsnowme

Wendell Berry is so great.
But yeah, you should read it with us!

RankResistance

I had never read Wendell Berry until I was trying to finish up my degree a semester early and took a Topics English class in a Maymester. When I got in there, it was entirely devoted to Berry. 18 books in 21 days. Definitely my favorite 80-year-old Christian farmer-dude.

I will definitely try to keep up, though I am always juggling several books. I am trying to teach two books at a time in each of my classes, so it's a bit hectic. About to get easier, when I return to familiar territory in a few weeks.

Pat2099

momitsnowme

Awesome!! This will definitely keep me on track

Phitney

Yay! I'm excited for this. This will definitely keep me on track, too, since I have a bad habit of starting a bajillion books at a time and not making much progress with anything.

momitsnowme

I'm on page 18! Haha

momitsnowme

How's everyone doing?

RankResistance

Not very well. Plan on making up ground over the weekend, but between teaching, coaching baseball, and taking classes...no.

momitsnowme

That's why I checked in!

Phitney

Yeahhh, not super well. I'm only about 20 pages or so in. I've got this weekend almost completely free, though, so it's on!

momitsnowme

Seta

Becca alerted me to this! maybe I'll join in! :D
missing the old board since 2014

momitsnowme

mylo

I started reading today

momitsnowme

momitsnowme

How many pages are you all reading tonight? I have 18 left!

momitsnowme

do not read past here until finishing pages 1-100!

What did you all think?? What a cliff hanger to leave us on.
I'm not sure if I like Aomame or not yet but am definitely intrigued by time getting fuzzy for her. I like tengo and fuka-eri a lot and am excited to see who this professor is. I think it is awesome that it gets a little self referential near the end of this section...talking about reading long books and it taking time and stuff.

momitsnowme

anyone still with me? haha

Phitney

I'm with ya! Gonna add my input later tonight after practice or tomorrow morning!

momitsnowme

Pat2099

I finally bought the book! I am on page 120... The parallel story reminds me of Kafka at the Shore.I think the writing in this is a little more refined though. I am interested in seeing how the two stories come together. Does 100 pages a month sound good for everyone?