obsessions of late (things that help you from losing your mind)

Started by pronetoaccidents, January 30, 2015, 12:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pronetoaccidents

-diving super deep into tolkiens middle earth legendarium. the lord of the rings events occurred in the 3rd age. I've been reading about the first and second and servants of morgoth and numeronorian kings and whatnot.

-doing research for my zine neurotica, which i've decided will be about obsessions, devotion and what not. the first issue is going to be about comics. but i've be researching the zine, in general, and found some interesting things about it's history. Been checking out a bunch of PDF files of science fiction fanzines from the 1920s and 30's.

-60s garage punk. trying to find the rawest and brutalest and punkest shit possible, not the typical "proto-punk" (sonics/patti smith/suicide/mc5/stooges that while being awesome, is all people talk about.)

Though lovers be lost love shall not.

Joe

This time of year the planet Venus is setting in the west with the Sun.  It's the first bright object you can see in the western night sky.  The brightness is the surface of Venus reflecting light from the Sun.

Venus is on the opposite side of the Sun right now in relation to Earth. The angle of Venus to the Sun is the approximate angle that Earth is traveling in its own elliptical orbit around the Sun.

Venus orbits the Sun in the opposite direction that Earth orbits the Sun. Looking down from the north pole, Earth would appear to orbit the Sun clock-wise.  As Venus moves counter-clockwise, it will gradually make its way between the Sun and the Earth.  As it does, the reflecting light visible to our earthly perspective will appear to wane, just like the light reflecting off our moon as it transitions through it's phases.

This allows me to visualize my three-dimensional location in our solar system.

This is my obsession of late that helps me from losing my mind.

myles

Phitney

Quote from: pronetoaccidents on January 30, 2015, 12:05:47 PM
-diving super deep into tolkiens middle earth legendarium. the lord of the rings events occurred in the 3rd age. I've been reading about the first and second and servants of morgoth and numeronorian kings and whatnot.

Same here. I'm re-reading The Silmarillion and I can get lost in that so easily. I love it.

- Roller derby is basically my anti-depressant. It's the one thing that regularly gets me out of the house and gives me reasons to travel to different cities. Without it, I think I would be a reclusive hermit 100% of the time rather than just 85% of the time. I obsessively read the rules and watch archived bout footage to be a better ref and then apply that to practice, scrimmages, and bouts I'm staffed on.

BlakeK

Lonely Island videos. I call them "comfort videos" and have several other types of videos that can always make me smile. I especially like when Justin Timberlake is involved. I've grown to respect his talent over the years.
Quote from: BlakeK on March 09, 2017, 06:59:37 PM
Having said that, I'd rather listen to Papa Roach than GG Allin

kw

playing music and focusing on starting my new job. both have been really healthy and rad lately. it is the first time in years i've really enjoyed writing songs and playing shows, which takes a lot of specific focus. and my new job is at an amazing vegan restaurant in town and the owners are amazing people and i just really wanna kill it. woo.

Courtney

Embroidery. Can't think about anything dumb if you're concentrating on making teeny tiny stitches.
Going out on weekends. It sounds obvious, but I have a tendency to isolate myself, so this has taken a conscious effort. Lately I've gone to an art show, a show show, mermaid (statue) hunting, and a new restaurant that specializes in grilled cheeses.

CrackyMcCrackerson

Podcasts.  I'm stressing a lot of about moving at the end of March.  The last time I moved was a complete disaster and I want this to go as smooth as possible.  I'm really excited because I'm moving in with a my girlfriend of a year and we get to really really share our lives together but packing and planning is stressful.  I wish I could fast forward until the day after the move  She is also REALLY frugal and makes quite a bit more than me so she really took some time and help put together a budget to pay off student loans and dental stuff by the end of the year but even that is stressing me out.  So, podcasts at work keep me occupied so I don't go into a stress frenzy.  That and music.  I REALLY looking forward to the new Father John Misty.  And I've been listening to Sun Kil Moon's Benji a lot.  It's great.

rory

Sewing, drawing, being in 5 bands, washing dishes every morning that I don't have work, reading.
Quote from: Winged Killick
I'm an anarchist, but I'm not going to drive ninety-five miles an hour down the road tossing illegal, invasive species of snakes from my car while texting and fraudulently doing my taxes.

Phitney

So I've grown somewhat obsessive over organizing my life and routines. And I found this app that is feeding into that new-found obsession. So basically I set aside precise times for waking up, journaling, going to the gym, meditating, learning Python, applying for jobs, and going to bed. All working around my set work and derby schedule. I tend to be more productive when I actually have some kind of physical thing saying "You are doing this at this time for this long and then you will switch to to this other thing for this amount of time." So far I've only been doing this for three days, but I feel better already.

pronetoaccidents

Quote from: Phitney on February 01, 2015, 12:24:13 PM
Quote from: pronetoaccidents on January 30, 2015, 12:05:47 PM

Same here. I'm re-reading The Silmarillion and I can get lost in that so easily. I love it.

- Roller derby is basically my anti-depressant. It's the one thing that regularly gets me out of the house and gives me reasons to travel to different cities. Without it, I think I would be a reclusive hermit 100% of the time rather than just 85% of the time. I obsessively read the rules and watch archived bout footage to be a better ref and then apply that to practice, scrimmages, and bouts I'm staffed on.

it blows my mind how intricate and meticulous tolkein was about things.. even just the family lineages and geography and languages. he studied dead languages so that was obviously a big influence on him and his writings. The appendixes alone in the back of the return of the king is so obsessive and awesome. Have you read his son chris books? the history of middle earth ones? i think there's about 10 in total.
Though lovers be lost love shall not.

lindsey

jeal Whitney. I really want a more structured routine but it's soooo haaaaard, especially with a partner with a super erratic schedule, and also being so moody when it comes to getting stuff done. I'm trying to schedule a cleaning routine and drawing time every day... but it's not going that well. maybe once i start tattoo school and I have even less free time, I will be more serious about it.

i used to be really obsessive, but I haven't been as bad the past few years. by "bad" i just mean extreme. i'm currently spending most of my mental energy thinking about school/future career ideals, and trying to formulate a semblance of an idea of what we're gonna do for a wedding.... i've also been getting into swimming lately, and since i'm actually really bad at swimming, water aerobics as well. it's really cheesy but it's kind of fun, and a really good work out. also, obsessed with going to a chiropractor! just got insurance and my first appt is tomorrow. CANT WAIT!