Hockey! on the PIX board.

Started by kw, June 11, 2014, 05:31:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kw

oh Rangers... bahahahahahahahahaha

jer

And someone got testy with me when I pointed out how NYR wouldn't be able to hang with Western Conference flavor hockey.
Anti-Creative Records sells some things.
http://www.anti-creative.com

ramblinrabble

hatmoose

tensions are high in the nhl discussion thread
ask me about my high score

kw

its the most serious thread of all the threads

momitsnowme

Quote from: hatmoose on June 11, 2014, 12:18:57 PM
tensions are high in the nhl discussion thread

I am reading this in a hockey commentator voice

kw

jer

Who could have ever predicted that the team from the better conference and hardest division within that conference could ever pull this off?

Congrats Kings, you bags of shit. Not sure why the NHL even bothered having them play this series, the champions were decided in Chicago.

kw

i was speaking to my dad yesterday and we equated that this series was the USA vs Finland for the 1982 gold medal game. The semi finals were  what mattered, the gold medal game is an afterthought.

kw

CAN IT BE THE DRAFT ALREADY?
CAN IT BE FREE AGENCY ALREADY?
CAN CAMP OPEN ALREADY?
IS IT TIME FOR THE SEASON TO START?!

orange

It's funny that, in the past, we've been able to talk so much hockey on a forum that is definitely not about hockey. But, us hockey fans are lucky that Jer runs this board and he's a hockey nut, so we're safe.

I'll start:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=725233&navid=nhl:topheads
Martin Brodeur won't be a Devil next year (I feel safe saying this as a truth), but it's likely he will find another team to play for. Would you want him on your team for 1 season, 2 at the most? If your team has absolutely no desire, space, or need for a veteran (read: old) goalie like Brodeur; I still want you to answer the question. Would you want him on your team? You know, hypothetically. For what it's worth, as a die-hard Devils fan who can't believe he'd ever say these words: I don't want brodeur on my team next season. BUT I don't want to see him on anyone else's team either, ya dig?

Next topic:

How did your team do in the draft? Which team did the best? Which free agent signings are really big deals? I want to be more knowledgeable about this, so this is a serious question and I want to learn what you guys think.  The Devils signed a kid named Quenneville in the first round. He's 18 and was born in 1996 which totally blows my mind... How can someone born in 1996 be a professional ANYTHING? When did I get so old? But, he's 6'1, 180lbs... he'll probably grow more considering he's a baby born in 1996. He's supposedly a good all-around 2 way type of center. Cool, I feel good about it, but the internet is in kind of a turmoil about it and I don't understand.
i chose my last signature so anthemforadoomed didn't hold up a TJMaxx.

jer

Glen I merged your thread with the existing one that was hiding on the second page.

Carry on!

orange

OH YEAH! I almost forgot!

The Rangers got their asses kicked. I mean, good job getting there, but the Devils still have 3 since your last one. Hah!

kw

we drafted ekblad and then 3 guys who were off the board, signed jussi jokinen to a decent 4yr/4mil deal, then made dave bolland and shawn thornton super rich for no reason, then gave 90yr old willie mitchell 9 million dollars.

i hate my life

ramblinrabble

Talk to me when you can win a shootout, Glen, let alone a cup in this era.

As far as free agency goes, most of it has been hilarious.   Pouliot, a journeyman/first round bust/offensive zone penalty magnet, declines to re-sign with the first team he played well with, then signs a 5 year deal at 4 mil with the oilers.  Good luck with that edmonton.   He put up a career high 36 points, point production thats definitely not worth 4 mil, mostly because he was playing on a line with Zuccarello.   I see him falling back to what made everyone sign him to one year deals.

Washington's defensive signings are hilariously bad.   Just look at them

And holy fuck, nobody wants to go to Nashville.

orange

Alright guys, it's Glen with 1 n.

The Devils were 4 or 5 shootout victories away from making the playoffs, that's all. It was surprising to see a team that has a history of being so good in OT and Shootouts do so poorly last year; but this idea I believe people have that the Devils are 'bad' or 'irrelevant" in this era is wrong, in my opinion. For comparison, the Kings hardly made the playoffs. In Lou We Trust.

So what about Brodeur though?

Who do you see being the next "dynasty" team? The Kings, Blackhawks? Is a 'dynasty' determined by winning 3 cups in an era? I've heard that.

ramblinrabble

I'm going to throw out a wild card and say that I think Buffalo is the new dynasty team.

jer

Quote from: orange on July 03, 2014, 06:30:21 PM
Would you want him on your team? You know, hypothetically.

No. He should have retired 2 seasons ago. He's not the Brodeur he was. Though I wouldn't maind having him as an asst goalie aoch or something for the two young kids we're going to have in net in Anahiem for most of the season.

I also don't want to see him retire as anything but a Devil. It's absurd that he's considering going anywhere else. I'd rather see him in the KHL before i saw him backstopping another NHL team.

Quote from: orange on July 03, 2014, 06:30:21 PM
How did your team do in the draft? Which team did the best? Which free agent signings are really big deals? I want to be more knowledgeable about this, so this is a serious question and I want to learn what you guys think.  The Devils signed a kid named Quenneville in the first round. He's 18 and was born in 1996 which totally blows my mind... How can someone born in 1996 be a professional ANYTHING? When did I get so old? But, he's 6'1, 180lbs... he'll probably grow more considering he's a baby born in 1996. He's supposedly a good all-around 2 way type of center. Cool, I feel good about it, but the internet is in kind of a turmoil about it and I don't understand.

This draft class was weak, so other than the top couple picks (and maybe even then), anyone picked this season won't be making any impact on any NHL teams soon. That's one bummer about the NHL draft, it takes a lot longer to payoff than the other pro sports.

But Ducks got Kesler in a trade from Vancouver, and all we had to give up was some dead weight in Sbisa, as well as Bonino, though Bonino is a bummer to lose.

jer

pronetoaccidents

i never watched a hockey game for more than a few minutes and that's because my roomate in a halfway house watched it. but i did like playing hockey video games because you could get into fights and i'd always start swinging wild style and knocking people out left and right. that was fun i guess. but i dunno, i'm not a big sports man. i'll see a mets game but that's the extent of it.
Though lovers be lost love shall not.

jer

yeah, sports suck but hockey is different. it's punk.

fuck the mets and fuck baseball.

ramblinrabble

kw

ramblinrabble

Can we please put an 'e' in the threads subject title?   Its starting to bother me.