Name a Movie You Hate That Everyone Else Seems to Love

Started by CrackyMcCrackerson, December 11, 2014, 11:46:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thujone

Donnie Darko is the dumbest thing i've ever been forced to watch more than once

RankResistance

Quote from: BlakeK on December 13, 2014, 11:38:13 AM
Quote from: RankResistance on December 13, 2014, 09:00:34 AM
Wes Anderson movies in general bore me to death.
I could definitely understand this. I really like Grand Budapest Hotel. I like his movies but that was my favorite.

I have not seen it, but have been meaning to once it is convenient for me (On Demand or Netflix) because I've heard it is enjoyable even from some friends who don't normally like his movies. I don't hate the movies. But I tend to go see them in theaters because my friends love the guy and I always leave kind of annoyed.

BlakeK

Quote from: RankResistance on December 13, 2014, 04:10:20 PM
Quote from: BlakeK on December 13, 2014, 11:38:13 AM
Quote from: RankResistance on December 13, 2014, 09:00:34 AM
Wes Anderson movies in general bore me to death.
I could definitely understand this. I really like Grand Budapest Hotel. I like his movies but that was my favorite.
I have not seen it, but have been meaning to once it is convenient for me (On Demand or Netflix) because I've heard it is enjoyable even from some friends who don't normally like his movies. I don't hate the movies. But I tend to go see them in theaters because my friends love the guy and I always leave kind of annoyed.
You should definitely watch it. After looking at his filmography on Wikipedia, I have come to the conclusion that I really don't like his movies either but Grand Budapest Hotel was really good.
Quote from: BlakeK on March 09, 2017, 06:59:37 PM
Having said that, I'd rather listen to Papa Roach than GG Allin

Anna Karina

I don't care to stick up for any of his other movies but Rushmore is a stone cold classic.

BlakeK

I believe I tried to watch Life Aquatic 3 or 4 times and fell asleep every time. I would have to go back and watch Rushmore but I thought it was overrated when it came out. I'll have to watch it next time I get the chance. I've seen the Royal Tanenbaums a few times. I'd give it 2.5 stars out of five.

Nate Rainey

The Fantastic Mr. Fox is his best movie. I mean....listen, we can fight, or you can all just admit it.
Signature get.

Anna Karina

Rushmore
Fantastic Mr. Fox

Moonrise Kingdom (first half)

The Royal Tenenbaums

Hotel Chevalier
Grand Budapest Hotel

Moonrise Kingdrom (second half)

The Life Aquatic

Bottle Rocket

The Darjeeling Limited

BlakeK

Quote from: Nate Rainey on December 13, 2014, 09:07:25 PM
The Fantastic Mr. Fox is his best movie. I mean....listen, we can fight, or you can all just admit it.
I've never seen it. My fiancé said it's good so I'll give it a try.

Rapture Ready Blowhard

Quote from: thujone on December 13, 2014, 02:25:41 PM

I feel like a ton of people loved Donnie Darko for a couple of years after it came out, but isn't the fact that it's horrible basically the unanimous consensus in 2014?

BlakeK

Quote from: Rapture Ready Blowhard on December 14, 2014, 06:57:57 AM

I feel like a ton of people loved Donnie Darko for a couple of years after it came out, but isn't the fact that it's horrible basically the unanimous consensus in 2014?
If you're over the age of 18 then I would say it is the consensus. It seems to be a movie that people grow out of when they get older and less angsty.

CrackyMcCrackerson

Quote from: BlakeK on December 14, 2014, 10:28:29 AM
Quote from: Rapture Ready Blowhard on December 14, 2014, 06:57:57 AM

If you're over the age of 18 then I would say it is the consensus. It seems to be a movie that people grow out of when they get older and less angsty.

Had a few girls I dated in high school who loved this movie.  I kind of liked it but they picked the most cringe-worthy quotes as their favorite like
"Donnie: Why are you wearing that stupid bunny suit?
Frank: Why are you wearing that stupid man suit? "

I felt like I was dating a hot topic commercial.

ramblinrabble

Anna Karina

ramblinrabble

I hate all those people who got a trigger finger tattoo immediately after seeing that movie.

BlakeK

I felt so out of place with friends and acquaintances in high school and college because I though Boondocks Saints was terrible. My former roommate talked to me like I had three heads when I told her I didn't like it. She had posters and shit. I never understood it. What I DO like is the documentary about the making of the movie where the asshole director goes from top of the world and gets smacked down to earth hard. It was refreshing to see an asshole fail mostly for being an asshole.

manmagic

clerks, The Godfather (all of them), The new Godzilla movie, anything with Mathew McConnaughey.

CrackyMcCrackerson

Quote from: manmagic on December 15, 2014, 08:36:28 AM
Anything with Mathew McConnaughey.

This seems you have a grudge against an actor.  I'm not invalidating your view that anything he is in is going to be complete garbage to you and you're going to hate it regardless of merit but that seems like a shallow and childish view.  There are plenty of movies that I wouldn't be caught dead watching with McCounaughey but I'd be damned if I didn't LOVE Killer Joe and Mud.  Not to mention his role in True Detective.  It seems like you're taking popular things to hate or you being a contrarian for the sake of being a contratian.  I don't know you personally and you could be a really chill person and I don't mean this to come off as an attack.  I'm just reacting to what I see.

Anna Karina

CrackyMcCrackerson

Quote from: Anna Karina on December 15, 2014, 12:46:10 PM
Killer Joe fuckin' rules.

It blows my mind that the same person who wrote Killer Joe(Tracy Letts) also wrote August: Osage County.   I didn't hate August: Osage County as much as some people, I actually kind of liked it.  That chicken leg scene in Killer Joe is so motherfuck perfect.

manmagic

Quote from: CrackyMcCrackerson on December 15, 2014, 12:43:36 PM
It seems like you're taking popular things to hate

Wasn't this the point of the thread? To find things that are popular which you do not like?

CrackyMcCrackerson

Quote from: manmagic on December 16, 2014, 06:10:23 AM
Quote from: CrackyMcCrackerson on December 15, 2014, 12:43:36 PM
It seems like you're taking popular things to hate

Wasn't this the point of the thread? To find things that are popular which you do not like?

The point of this thread wasn't to provide blanket statements.  Plenty of good actors have bad movies and plenty of bad actors are in good movies.  I realize that 'good' and 'bad' are subjective terms but I find it incredibly unlikely that you would hate everything that McConaughey is in just based on the sole fact that he is in it.  I will give the conceit that up until recently(like last 5 years) McConaughey has starred in nothing but complete shit.  He has become legit, though.  Let's hope he keeps it interesting. 

I realize it looks like I'm just sucking Mc's dick but I'm just disagreeing with your blanket statement. I definitely don't have an issue with you.

manmagic

I'm still fairly certain I did what I was suppose to in this thread and that fact you are getting so worked up about it, makes me think this answer was better than most. But to further explain, I don't like his personality, his acting style, hell even his voice, so it makes it hard to like any movie he has a huge role in. I'll admit I enjoyed movies like Tropic Thunder when I saw them, but that's only because he played a very small part.

CrackyMcCrackerson

Quote from: manmagic on December 16, 2014, 07:21:25 AM
I'm still fairly certain I did what I was suppose to in this thread and that fact you are getting so worked up about it, makes me think this answer was better than most.

It sparked discussion. That's what comment boards are supposed to do.  That is why I started this topic.

amanda

BlakeK

Quote from: amanda on December 16, 2014, 07:07:02 PM
Castaway
Agreed. There are several movies with which I view negatively based on negative events I associate with them. They played Castaway like 3 times during the 5 days I spent in the hospital in 2002. I hated it when I saw it (I obviously was not feeling great at the time) and it just reminds me of those 5 days of hell when I see it on. Does anyone else hate movies due to associating them with bad life events?

Oh and Matthew McConaughey is awesome. I don't care about all of the dog shit romantic comedies that he's been in that I've never seen. Dallas Buyers Club was awesome and so was True Detective. His role in Tropic Thunder mentioned about was good, as well. I can't think of other McConaughy movies right now but I even liked him in Dazed and Confused. I used to like that movie when I was in high school but now hate. Do people like Dazed and Confused on the board? If not, did you ever?