Do you make new friends?

Started by rory, October 14, 2014, 09:56:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pronetoaccidents

i thought i made a new friend the other night. i took a walk and saw a guy with a black flag shirt. whenever this situation occurs, I show them my black flag tattoo. We got to talking. the guy lives around the corner from me, literally a 5 minute walk. He was "cool". He plays drums and my band is in need of a drummer. He's in recovery from heroin as well. He smokes a buncha cigarettes and likes old butthole surfers. I gave him the cellphone number and told him to send me a text so we could hang. he said sure. he never texted. maybe he forgot? I don't have his number. would it be inappropriate to show up at his house asking if he was still up for jamming/hanging?
Though lovers be lost love shall not.

CrackyMcCrackerson

I have two types of friends.  Work friends and actual friends who I hang out with.

My friends that I hang out with are at least 30 minutes away and as I'm getting older, we're losing touch.  In High school, I had a core group of 8.  Now, I'm done to one, sometimes two.  At 28, it is hard to make new friends and Dallas's social hub of hardcore is a pretty insular place.  I rarely go to shows now because I'm don't feel like getting violent anymore.  If I go to show, I'll stand near the back with Shiner in hand, softly nodding until my legs hurt from standing and I'll sit and drink my beer with my girl. 

My best friend has become less of one because of his absolute dedication to psychedelics and his anxiety that he has made worse by chronic use of molly.  I'm not ragging on him but it is something I have no interest in dabbling in.  He fucked his potential and he keeps taking steps back and I try to help him along but he can't be with a lot of people free of anxiety without drinking. 

So, in other words, friends are hard to make.  And the saying is true "A lot of friends will leave but only a few you're going to miss."  And I miss those few.

BlakeK

Quote from: pronetoaccidents on December 02, 2014, 07:26:25 AM
i thought i made a new friend the other night. i took a walk and saw a guy with a black flag shirt. whenever this situation occurs, I show them my black flag tattoo. We got to talking. the guy lives around the corner from me, literally a 5 minute walk. He was "cool". He plays drums and my band is in need of a drummer. He's in recovery from heroin as well. He smokes a buncha cigarettes and likes old butthole surfers. I gave him the cellphone number and told him to send me a text so we could hang. he said sure. he never texted. maybe he forgot? I don't have his number. would it be inappropriate to show up at his house asking if he was still up for jamming/hanging?
I don't know. From personal experience, a lot of times if I tell someone that I'm a recovering addict I've noticed that a lot of others will also say they are in recovery or quit using and it is almost never true. I suspect they just don't want to admit to current use and I get that (I've probably done the same myself in the past). This has led to several awkward situations in which I've been offered drugs.
Quote from: BlakeK on March 09, 2017, 06:59:37 PM
Having said that, I'd rather listen to Papa Roach than GG Allin